[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Home Tiki Bars Rocket Rods Hut of Shame
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
Rocket Rods Hut of Shame
shamefultiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2012-04-24 2:48 pm   Permalink

Hello all;
here's a complete thread showing my new home tiki bar, the "Hut of Shame". Shameful only due to the amount of indulgence that occurs!
After selling my retail business in January with the ambition to open a real tiki bar business here in Vancouver I was hired to run a tiki patio near downtown starting April 21st.
In the time between (February and March) I took some time to travel to California and build a new home bar.
Check out the progress from start to finish! Thanks for looking and let me know what you think

Rod
www.shamefultiki.com

Getting things started, just deciding on a basic layout was hard. This room is small! Started with the vintage bench corner seat. Had to build it into it's spot and then frame around it

Here's an idea of what I decided to do frame/layout wise

Here's a shot after I started the bamboo trim around the bottom part. To the right is a two seater bar top spot made with a big chunk of cedar. As well you'll see all of the thatch and trim going into place on the walls.

Close up shot of wall thatch and bamboo trim

A shot of the bench wall as it develops a little clearer.

Here's the entrance wall to the left of the bench seat wall showing the basic wall design work coming together

trim work

more trim work

first shot of the actual bar wall on the opposite side of the room to the bench seat wall. My wife brought home this head board from a client who wanted to get rid of her old water bead. It was quickly decided that this would make a great weathered looking and functional wall unit for all the glassware and booze!

Bracing the piece to the wall

another shot of the way we mounted it.

Random ceiling corner trim work shot

installing the design work underneath the wall mounted unit behind the bar

Started to apply the thatch and poles to the ceiling, got a sliver of thatch in my eye which was driving me crazy. Had to go to the doctors whereby he froze me eye in order to remove it. Wore the only eyewear I could find in short notice - some stupid joke glasses from a party my wife went to.... they even light up which didn't help whatsoever

A shot of the offending thatch and trim work over the bar wall unit

Then for fun I thought I would put a screw into the wiring behind the wall that ties into the harness for the room next door, that left our office in the dark! That was cool, had to spend an afternoon correcting that.

Ceiling work above the bench seat

Again at the bar wall, here's how it's developing with the trim going into place.

Here's a shot of the actual Witco bar and the unit behind it, trim work, lighting and some of the decor/essentials going into place.

With things in place I made myself a Nui Nui, decorated the room and here come the results.

View Profile of shamefultiki Send a personal message to shamefultiki  Email shamefultiki Goto the website of shamefultiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-04-24 3:22 pm   Permalink

Very nice job, Also good choice of accoutrement & ephemera.

View Profile of Atomic Tiki Punk Send a personal message to Atomic Tiki Punk      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikitabby
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2012-04-24 8:03 pm   Permalink

I'm lucky enough to have visited said hut and it's even better in person - not to mention the fantastic cocktails! Well done Rod!

View Profile of tikitabby Send a personal message to tikitabby      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2012-04-24 8:23 pm   Permalink

Great build. I love the creative use of the waterbed headboard - if only that headboard could talk!

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hang10tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-04-24 8:57 pm   Permalink

Just went to my bar
Made a tiki tuaca
Put on Martin Denny's Exotica 2
Pulled up TC
And saw all your great pics
The bar looks outstanding
Job well done

Jon

View Profile of hang10tiki Send a personal message to hang10tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bongo Bungalow
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-04-25 03:00 am   Permalink

That's THE LOOK! Thanks for sharing it with us.

View Profile of Bongo Bungalow Send a personal message to Bongo Bungalow  Email Bongo Bungalow Goto the website of Bongo Bungalow     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
McTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-04-25 03:21 am   Permalink

Beautiful space!

Now I want to see yours!

Thank you for sharing!

Mahalo

McTiki

View Profile of McTiki Send a personal message to McTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kon-Hemsby
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-04-25 04:03 am   Permalink

Gorgeous place. The lighting is absolutely perfect. Congratulations, you must be elated with it.

View Profile of Kon-Hemsby Send a personal message to Kon-Hemsby  Email Kon-Hemsby     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Big Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-04-25 05:55 am   Permalink

I dig it! What part of the country are you in?

[ This Message was edited by: Big Kahuna 2012-04-25 05:56 ]

View Profile of Big Kahuna Send a personal message to Big Kahuna  Email Big Kahuna     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
shamefultiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2012-04-25 09:42 am   Permalink

I'm in Vancouver BC, Canada.
Thanks for the kind words everyone

View Profile of shamefultiki Send a personal message to shamefultiki  Email shamefultiki Goto the website of shamefultiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
LoriLovesTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-04-25 11:11 am   Permalink

NICE!

I think your bar is coming along very nicely. You do great trim work.

View Profile of LoriLovesTiki Send a personal message to LoriLovesTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
skootiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-04-27 9:06 pm   Permalink

WOW !!!! It really has a good vibe, and you got some great photos!

View Profile of skootiki Send a personal message to skootiki  Email skootiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VampiressRN
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2012-04-27 9:37 pm   Permalink

WOWZA!!! Very nice indeed.

View Profile of VampiressRN Send a personal message to VampiressRN  Email VampiressRN Goto the website of VampiressRN     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
danlovestikis
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2012-04-28 07:45 am   Permalink

Looking at your finished room I'd swear I'd stepped back in time. The room looks like it's been there for decades. Terrific job, Wendy

View Profile of danlovestikis Send a personal message to danlovestikis      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Slacks Ferret
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-04-28 09:19 am   Permalink

Great job. It's nice to see more Canadian content.

View Profile of Slacks Ferret Send a personal message to Slacks Ferret  Email Slacks Ferret     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation