FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Other Crafts Pele/Fire/Volcano Art Swap ~ Drawing Results!!!
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 Next Page )
Pele/Fire/Volcano Art Swap ~ Drawing Results!!!
MadDogMike
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2012-04-28 07:38 am   Permalink

UPDATE - NEW INFO ON TOP 5/2/12
Votes were pretty evenly spaced between several themes. "No theme" seems cheating to me, I like the challenge of a theme. "Animals" seems a bit too broad, almost makes a mockery of a theme. Cannibals would be fun but has been pretty well covered. That leaves Pele/Fire/Volcano, which happens to be my favorite (take note - when you volunteer to organize a Swap you get to pick the theme ) It is sufficiently "Tiki", seems broad enough to provide inspiration and variety but narrow enough to provide structure. I can't find that this theme has been used before, at least not in the past 4 or 5 years.

RULES - mostly a re-hash of previously posted Swap rules but here they go:
* Participants must make a original piece of art inspired by the theme specifically for the swap - no prints of previous art, molded objects etc. This does not preclude using a molded object and heavily modifying it.
* Each participant is only allowed to swap once. If you want to make more than one piece of art and allow your partner to choose, that is perfectly fine.
* The art can be anything you like, so it could be a painting, charcoal sketch, pastel art, a carving, a one-off hand carved mug, mosaic, diorama, fabric art, lamp, etc.
* Post progress pics on this thread of the art you are making - to motivate everyone else to get involved!
* Post pics of your completed piece by the due date!!! Only participants who have posted a picture of the completed project will be included in the drawing
* All of the participants names will go into a hat and will be paired together randomly on Wednesday, August 8th. If you are going out of town for Tiki Oasis, this gives you a week to get your package shipped before you leave. If you and your partner are both going to Oasis, perhaps you can swap at Oasis. The list of swapping partners will be posted here. PM your swapping partner and exhange your postal details. Please ship your piece as soon as possible, your partner is anxiously awaiting!
* Note - there is a reasonable chance that your creation will be sent overseas! You are responsible for postal costs of the item you create, so don't enter a 6 foot carving unless you're prepared to cover postage! If you have a big or heavy item or are shipping overseas, shop prices with different shippers (USPS/FedEx/UPS).

***************************************************************************************
ORIGINAL POST
It has been a year since the last Art Swap and it's time for another one. No one seems to be stepping forward to lead this thing so I'll take a stab at it.

For those unfamiliar with the concept, you make an original art piece (not a mold or a print) inspired by the theme in any media ~ could be a painting, digital, carving, ceramic mug, beaded, knit, sewn, mixed, diorama, whatever. At the end of the Swap, you are paired at random with another participant and you swap art ~ you get theirs and they get yours. There are a few rules to ensure everything works out, I will post those shortly.

I think the week before Tiki Oasis is a good time for the drawing, that gives us just over 3 months and a chance that you can swap face-to-face with your partner at Oasis.

Most recent Swap themes have been;
Ladies of Tiki
Papua New Guinea
Polynesian Menu
Shrunken Heads/Headhunters

Suggested themes have been;
Animal
Cannibal
Mixed Media
Mini
Life/Death
Skull/Bones
Water/Sea
Nautical/Pirate
Marquesan
Pele/Fire/Volcano
Tangaroa
Ship Wreck
Music - Exotica/Hapa Haole/etc
Martin Denny

What do you think?

[ This Message was edited by: MadDogMike 2012-08-08 05:53 ]

[ This Message was edited by: MadDogMike 2012-08-09 06:06 ]

[ This Message was edited by: MadDogMike 2012-08-10 18:59 ]

[ This Message was edited by: MadDogMike 2012-08-11 18:31 ]

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
danlovestikis
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2012-04-28 07:48 am   Permalink

I think you are terrific for taking this on. These all sound good so I'll wait to see what the crowd is in favor of. Wendy

[ This Message was edited by: danlovestikis 2012-04-29 22:18 ]

View Profile of danlovestikis Send a personal message to danlovestikis      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sophista-tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-04-28 08:43 am   Permalink

I vote Marquesan

View Profile of Sophista-tiki Send a personal message to Sophista-tiki  Email Sophista-tiki Goto the website of Sophista-tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
artosaurus
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-04-28 09:21 am   Permalink

Marquesan works for me.

View Profile of artosaurus Send a personal message to artosaurus  Email artosaurus Goto the website of artosaurus     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2012-04-28 09:24 am   Permalink

Got a PM vote for "how about artwork based on exotica, hapa haole, or other tiki-type music, either the song title, or the sound and feel of a song?" Or album cover

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bongo Bungalow
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-04-28 09:53 am   Permalink

Mike is a great guy to take this on. I'm open to any theme... but cannibal gets my creativity all a-tingly.

View Profile of Bongo Bungalow Send a personal message to Bongo Bungalow  Email Bongo Bungalow Goto the website of Bongo Bungalow     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sophista-tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-04-28 10:41 am   Permalink

there are alread several group shows based on album cover art this summer. seems like that ones played.

View Profile of Sophista-tiki Send a personal message to Sophista-tiki  Email Sophista-tiki Goto the website of Sophista-tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2012-04-28 11:20 am   Permalink

Good point Dawn. I'll let this subject ruminate for several days and see if we get some input. Marquesas is the frontrunner right now but that might be a little narrow, maybe include all of French Polynesia (Marquesas, Tahiti, Bora Bora, Tuamotus)?

ZeroTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-04-28 1:58 pm   Permalink

I'm SO in!

~~~So, what are we doing, again?

[ This Message was edited by: ZeroTiki 2012-04-28 13:59 ]

View Profile of ZeroTiki Send a personal message to ZeroTiki  Email ZeroTiki Goto the website of ZeroTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AlohaStation
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-04-28 2:04 pm   Permalink

My vote is for Cannibal or Animal.

Remember you can make your art any style as long as it is Poly-pop in basis.

View Profile of AlohaStation Send a personal message to AlohaStation  Goto the website of AlohaStation     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
WaikikianMoeKele
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-04-28 4:09 pm   Permalink

I'm definitely in! Mahaloz Mike for taking this on!
My vote is for either cannibal or Pele/fire/volcano.

View Profile of WaikikianMoeKele Send a personal message to WaikikianMoeKele  Email WaikikianMoeKele     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tigertail777
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-04-28 5:20 pm   Permalink

Sounds like fun I would love to do a swap!

hmmm I like a lot of the themes, but leaning towards Pele/fire/volcano.

View Profile of tigertail777 Send a personal message to tigertail777  Email tigertail777 Goto the website of tigertail777     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiDaye
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-04-29 6:30 pm   Permalink

Mike... You rock!

Hmmm... Some really great ideas here.

I like Volcano/Pele or Water/Sea or Animal...
Those each provide lots of options to keep the creativity going.

Peace,
Jason

View Profile of TikiDaye Send a personal message to TikiDaye      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
little lost tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-04-29 8:53 pm   Permalink

Cannibal! Cannibal! Cannibal!

View Profile of little lost tiki Send a personal message to little lost tiki  Email little lost tiki Goto the website of little lost tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiDaye
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-04-29 9:29 pm   Permalink

Maybe we should do Cannibal in honor of our fearless swap leader, MadDog Mike, and his teardrop the Tahitian Cannibal!

View Profile of TikiDaye Send a personal message to TikiDaye      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation