FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Other Crafts Pele/Fire/Volcano Art Swap ~ Drawing Results!!!
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 Next Page )
Pele/Fire/Volcano Art Swap ~ Drawing Results!!!
tigertail777
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-05-04 06:38 am   Permalink

Ok so having never done this before on TC how does it work around here? I have done one art swap before on a Haunted Mansion site; how we did that one was we all posted a little bit of stuff we liked and what sort of general "size" would work so the person receiving would get something they could keep (this came about because earlier art swaps were unspecified and several people got things they had no room for and had to sell, which lead up to some bitter feelings). I know some places are more strict, and some more loose in how they organize their art swaps so was wondering exactly how things worked around here, sorry if that sounds dumb.

View Profile of tigertail777 Send a personal message to tigertail777  Email tigertail777 Goto the website of tigertail777     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AlohaStation
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-05-04 08:44 am   Permalink

Size only matters when it comes to shipping. You will be responsible for shipping $$, even if you have to send it several thousands of miles. make something you would display in your own home. You get what you get and you don't get upset. The reward is that you will be sending someone your original art - not what you get in return. Most likely you will be happy! If someone sells your swap piece - that is just wrong (unless you need to buy food or medicine). ALL WORK MUST BE YOUR ORIGINAL ART.

View Profile of AlohaStation Send a personal message to AlohaStation  Goto the website of AlohaStation     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2012-05-04 1:03 pm   Permalink

Thanks Tom. Anthony and Tiger, hope that answers your questions. The Swaps here have not been too heavy on rules, we want people to be able to relax and enjoy! Size is pretty much self limiting because you pay shipping. You get to pick the media and your interpretation of the theme. We have had some rather "unorthodox" interpretations but that's all good - it helps keep thing interesting (see TikiG's paintings for the Birds of the Pacific Swap ) Swap participants realize that there is a wide scale of artistic talent here on TC and that you may Swap with someone who is on a different level than you - that's part of the fun. You may end up with something from one of the masters or you may end up with some crap from MadDogMike You get to be the judge of your piece, if it doesn't meet with your approval, you just don't offer it for the Swap.

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiG
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-05-04 2:05 pm   Permalink

"...you may end up with some crap from MadDogMike..." LOL! I don't know about anyone else, but that would be an HONOR for ME!

Now to go to work figuring out a nice image to paint for y'all. I like the volcano theme a lot and (like MDM says) my approach again will be "unorthodox" but also plenty of fun.

To all newcomers - please join in on the fun and don't hesitate for a second. I've met some really nice people and have cultivated life-long friendships here because of various art swaps in the past - of course the icing is that your art will be/is appreciated by the audience it was created for - us!!

Thanks again MDM for your organizing efforts. Cheers! G

tiki since '67!

View Profile of TikiG Send a personal message to TikiG  Email TikiG     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2012-05-04 3:07 pm   Permalink

"Size only matters when it comes to shipping"
That's not what the ladies say.

And if you get my "Art" you may sell it if you can, or paint it, do what you want it is yours.

View Profile of tikiskip Send a personal message to tikiskip      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
WaikikianMoeKele
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-05-04 7:29 pm   Permalink

Alright, I'm totally exposing myself here. When I first started participating in the art swaps I was totally intimidated, thinking that no one would want my "art." But everyone on TikiCentral has been so accepting of me & my "art." No one has ever dismissed me as being less of an artist. This is something that I am totally thrilled with. TikiCentral has let me accept my talent.

View Profile of WaikikianMoeKele Send a personal message to WaikikianMoeKele  Email WaikikianMoeKele     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2012-05-04 8:30 pm   Permalink

I think of light making as more of a craft than saying it's art.
So my "art" thing was a dig on myself only.
Never have thought of myself as an artist.
I'm sure all will be fine, never remember any fights over
what somone got.

So who's in?

View Profile of tikiskip Send a personal message to tikiskip      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2012-05-04 10:14 pm   Permalink

It's traditional to post some pictures of the Swap subject matter for inspiration, I thought I would try something new. With Pablus' permission, I have made a video for The Crazed Mug's "But Kilauea". I find this song very inspirational
http://youtu.be/hCVLt28o5hQ

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
zerostreet
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2012-05-05 08:15 am   Permalink

Nice Mike! That's one of my favorite tracks on that record!

View Profile of zerostreet Send a personal message to zerostreet  Email zerostreet Goto the website of zerostreet     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Will carve
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-05-05 09:24 am   Permalink

You'll never go hungry, Mike.
Truly inspiring.

View Profile of Will carve Send a personal message to Will carve      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ZeroTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-05-05 09:55 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2012-05-04 19:29, WaikikianMoeKele wrote:
Alright, I'm totally exposing myself here. When I first started participating in the art swaps I was totally intimidated, thinking that no one would want my "art." But everyone on TikiCentral has been so accepting of me & my "art." No one has ever dismissed me as being less of an artist. This is something that I am totally thrilled with. TikiCentral has let me accept my talent.

I heard that first swap you got paired with some long-haired weirdo of ill-repute!

The best fires start in the darkness.
~Zero

View Profile of ZeroTiki Send a personal message to ZeroTiki  Email ZeroTiki Goto the website of ZeroTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
WaikikianMoeKele
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-05-05 12:13 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2012-05-05 09:55, ZeroTiki wrote:
Quote:

On 2012-05-04 19:29, WaikikianMoeKele wrote:

I heard that first swap you got paired with some long-haired weirdo of ill-repute!

The best fires start in the darkness.
~Zero

I've met some of the nicest wierdos in the world here on TikiCentral!

View Profile of WaikikianMoeKele Send a personal message to WaikikianMoeKele  Email WaikikianMoeKele     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Will carve
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-05-06 04:37 am   Permalink

This depicts a carving of Pele
in his younger days, 1825,
when he hung out in the royal sacred enclosure
in Karakakua, Hawaii.
Today you'll find him at the British Museum,London.
Looks to me like he's taken a good beating.
Hair missing, feet broke off.
Mother of pearl eye missing.
Must be a tuff job keeping track of volcanoes.
I will predate this when he was a younger god
in a more fit shape.

View Profile of Will carve Send a personal message to Will carve      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2012-05-06 08:07 am   Permalink

Very cool Will. Maybe you can build a Bic lighter into it's open mouth and make it a cigar lighter

I have been enjoying making mosaic tables. I want to make this with the volcano & the jungle out of ceramic tile and the lava & sunset out of stained glass tiles. Then light it from underneath so the sky and volcano glow at night

The table folds up so that it can be shipped, hopefully the finished product will look much better than my quick sketch

cy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-05-06 09:46 am   Permalink

I'm confused, isn't Pele the Goddess of lightning, volcanos, thunder, etc? ( i.e. he's a she)

View Profile of cy Send a personal message to cy  Goto the website of cy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation