FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Home Tiki Bars The Gator Hut & Lori's Tiki Bar - boardwalk with cargo net railings pics page 3 - 7/4/2013
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
The Gator Hut & Lori's Tiki Bar - boardwalk with cargo net railings pics page 3 - 7/4/2013
LoriLovesTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-06-10 07:15 am   Permalink

Good eye Mike!

Your mug is part of the "tiki mugs that get locked up at night!" I left the fake wood carvings, Kmart tiki statues and coconut monkey looking head out.

Your mug is one of my most prized possessions!!!! He is safely secured under the main bar waiting to come out to party next weekend.

View Profile of LoriLovesTiki Send a personal message to LoriLovesTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
LoriLovesTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-06-10 07:26 am   Permalink

Oh, and one more thing. I was telling my husband that we need to make some kind of leveled storage (like small steps) for the area between the blender and ice maker for some liquor bottles we could put out during a party. Because it's an outside bar I have my liquor under the front bar in a cabinet that I lock but I hate that! I know I've seen some pictures in this forum but if anyone has any kind of "stadium seating" for their booze I'd appreciate it if you could post the pics. Thanks in advance!

View Profile of LoriLovesTiki Send a personal message to LoriLovesTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
jimsflies
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-06-10 10:59 am   Permalink

Lori thanks for the link. That synthetic weave isn't cheap!

Where did you get the thatch you used? I still might try the real stuff. Trying to weigh cheap/real versus expensive/synthetic.

[ This Message was edited by: jimsflies 2013-06-10 10:59 ]

View Profile of jimsflies Send a personal message to jimsflies  Goto the website of jimsflies     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
LoriLovesTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-06-10 6:03 pm   Permalink

We got our artificial thatch from the same website. Yeah, synthetic is expensive but it's pretty much indestructable. We detest upkeep so this works for us. Good luck on what you decide.

tikilongbeach
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2013-06-11 08:56 am   Permalink

It looks like everything is coming together nicely! During the winter you could sit inside the gator hut with an electric blanket. I like your speakers.

My word of warning with using pallets. The company I work for and the companies we do business with store drums of hazardous waste on pallets.
Pallets get reused over and over so you can't always tell what's been on them. Just be safe.

View Profile of tikilongbeach Send a personal message to tikilongbeach      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
retrolane
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-06-11 12:29 pm   Permalink

Lori, where did you end up finding the split bamboo and round dock style poles from in NJ?
Great job!

View Profile of retrolane Send a personal message to retrolane      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
LoriLovesTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-06-11 3:13 pm   Permalink

I got some of the split bamboo online and some from a place in Lakewood that is going out of business after 100 years. I actually called them yesterday to see if they were still open and if they had any. They're closing in 2 weeks and have some stuff but not the bamboo flats. The large dark bamboo that's under the bartop (not sure if it's visiable in the pictures) came from there.

The pilings came from Tuckerton Lumber. I need to pay them another visit to get a few more for the newer beds and for a boardwalk-like bridge between the hut and the bar.

littlegiles
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-06-12 07:24 am   Permalink

Lori, I love the new addition to the bar.

Sorry to hear about the trees you lost, but you might have some luck with Elephant Ear plants. There are so many different varieties and at the end of the season, you can dig up the bulb, toss them in a paper bag and put them under your sink. Then when frost danger is over, just stick them back in the ground. The same can be done with Canna bulbs. No need to toss them out.

When I built a wetbar into a closet in our den, I added a couple risers for bottles. Not the best picture and this was during construction, but maybe it will help. They were an after thought and I ended up using scrap wood to build them. If you need more pics, I'll look and see if I have any before the top was added to show how it was put together.

- Dale

[ This Message was edited by: littlegiles 2013-06-12 07:26 ]

View Profile of littlegiles Send a personal message to littlegiles  Email littlegiles     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
retrolane
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-06-12 11:24 am   Permalink

Guess I'll have to take a ride down there for the pilings. Can't find any up here in northern NJ.
Thanks again.

Erick

View Profile of retrolane Send a personal message to retrolane      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
LoriLovesTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-06-12 11:30 am   Permalink

Dale - that's exactly what I'm looking to build. I don't think the husband will too much difficulty making one. thanks for posting the picture.

Erick - I see pilings down the shore all the time but tracking down a source was hard. I love the look, definitely worth the effort. You can get the rope at Lowe's. We bought an entire reel of it and have more to use next time. Good luck and post pictures of your tiki space.

LoriLovesTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-07-04 8:04 pm   Permalink

For this season my husband, the Mastermind had two projects in mind. Ok, that's a lie, he actually has four but there were two main ones - the back bar and a boardwalk of sorts between the bar and the hut. We're having a graduation party this Saturday for our sons' high school graduation and I'm proud to announce that project #2 is completed two days early! It came out even better than I thought it would.

We built the deck itself out of hardwood deck boards over a pressure-treated frame with 4x4s for the uprights. The railings are cedar, the same wood as we used to build the french doors and will be coated with marine varish tomorrow morning (ok, we're not technically done) and the perfect touch is the cargo net railing, held up with manilla rope.

I was playing with my DSL to get some low-light shots - thanks for allowing me to share!

LoriLovesTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-07-04 8:36 pm   Permalink

I also wanted to mention that I finally made two fake fishing float lights. I really wanted a Tiki Skip one but I had these two plastic globes I bought for our outdoor light poles that I couldn't use b/c they had seams in them that were taking up space in the garage and taunting me with my mistake. (They were non-returnable.) So I was going to attempt weaving a net for them when Murph posted that he used a cotton basketball net. It took me a little while to find a couple online but I got them, dyed them with a bunch of teabags to make them less white and bought a pendant light kit from the home improvement store. And also, cause I'm lazy and kind of in a rush I used colored light bulbs instead of trying to tint poly and paint the inside of the globes.

I put one in the bar and one in the hut. They won't pass the authentic test but I'm happy with them and all of my house guests won't know the difference! I'd prefer to have one of Skip's lights but these I made myself, didn't cost a lot of $ and most importantly reused something that was garbage to me and taking up space.

Thanks Murph!!!

Edited to add that the light isn't so bright in person. It's a nice green glow....

Lori

[ This Message was edited by: LoriLovesTiki 2013-07-04 20:37 ]

Tiki-kitty
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-07-05 06:20 am   Permalink

I love the way your did a collage of your Ohana 2012 goodies! My husband and I went last year & this year so we have 2 of everything. Some items are on selves and coffee tables in our tiki room, but I have always loved "collaging" things!
Looks GREAT in your place!

View Profile of Tiki-kitty Send a personal message to Tiki-kitty      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
LoriLovesTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-07-05 06:27 am   Permalink

Thanks Tiki-Kitty!

I missed going to Ohana this year but we have a big trip to Hawaii next month. Maybe we'll get back to Ohana in 2014 although I really have my sights set on getting to Hukilau! Glad you liked the collage.

hiltiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-07-05 07:41 am   Permalink

Lori your place looks very inviting and your green float looks great.

View Profile of hiltiki Send a personal message to hiltiki  Goto the website of hiltiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation