FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » General Tiki » » B.G.Reynolds to open Hale Pele in Portland, OR
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
B.G.Reynolds to open Hale Pele in Portland, OR
TikiG
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-05-14 09:46 am   Permalink

Congrats! I'll make a road-trip to Portland to see the new digs.

View Profile of TikiG Send a personal message to TikiG  Email TikiG     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
BG_Reynolds

Posted: 2012-08-14 4:17 pm   Permalink

For Immediate Release August 14th, 2012

Hale Pele hosts Tiki Kon guests for Preview, announces opening date.

With construction completed and tropical libations tasted… and tasted... and then tasted some more, Hale Pele was finally ready for its first preview. Over 100 tiki Kon guests were welcomed into Hale Pele on August 5th 2012. It was a sea of Hawaiian shirts amidst the new dark and Primal atmosphere.

The gathered Tiki aficionados from across the country cheered at the announcement of the opening date, August 29th 2012. Get ready for the nation’s next Great Tiki Temple.

sign up for our mailing list at Halepele.com. Or Visit us at 2733 NE Broadway. Portland, OR.
Find us on Twitter and Facebook.
For more information on B.G.Reynolds’ Hand-Crafted Syrups, please visit bgreynolds.com or email
Sarah@bgreynolds.com

View Profile of BG_Reynolds Send a personal message to BG_Reynolds  Goto the website of BG_Reynolds     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MaukaHale
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-08-14 4:26 pm   Permalink

Next time I'm in town I will definitely stop by.

[ This Message was edited by: MaukaHale 2012-08-14 16:27 ]

View Profile of MaukaHale Send a personal message to MaukaHale  Email MaukaHale     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Melintur
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-08-28 11:53 am   Permalink

From last night's sneak peak.
TIKI KON 2012: Ten Year Tour! AUG 3-5, 2012: Portland, OR

View Profile of Melintur Send a personal message to Melintur  Email Melintur Goto the website of Melintur ICQ status     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tonga Tom
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2012-09-08 6:55 pm   Permalink

Perfect timing! We plan on visiting next week!

View Profile of Tonga Tom Send a personal message to Tonga Tom  Goto the website of Tonga Tom     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Ekomomai
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2012-09-14 08:55 am   Permalink

Finally made it out to Hale Pele last night. I had to check out the Mai Tai - very good, served in an Old Fashioned glass with mint sprig and lime hull and just the right amount of ice - and my wife had the Penang Afrididi which was extremely tasty and complex.

We also had some of the Hawaiian bread which is excellent. It comes in large slices, toasted and served with a very flavorful guava jam.

The service is excellent, by the way!

We'll definitely be back - there are a whole lot more drinks on that list that I need to sample.

View Profile of Ekomomai Send a personal message to Ekomomai      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
freighttrain

Posted: 2012-10-07 08:50 am   Permalink

Long-time lurker, first time poster. I visited Portland with my girlfriend about a month ago, and we had a really great time at Hale Pele. The drinks were absolutely on par with the best of the tiki milieu, the staff was awesome, the decor was great, and the food was tasty (and vegan friendly). We're cocktail geeks, so we went to a lot of cool bars in Portland, but we definitely had the best overall experience at Hale Pele. Definitely a must-visit if you're in Portland.

View Profile of freighttrain Send a personal message to freighttrain      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
heylownine

Posted: 2012-10-07 10:32 pm   Permalink

Incoming! Val and I will be in PDX this Mon-Thur (10/8-10/11) and can't wait to visit Hale Pele.

kevin
http://twitter.com/heylownine

View Profile of heylownine Send a personal message to heylownine  Email heylownine Goto the website of heylownine     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hakalugi
Site Administrator

Posted: 2012-10-19 3:19 pm   Permalink

Blair, congrats on the great article!
http://www.oregonlive.com/dining/index.ssf/2012/10/tiki_bar_owner_and_syrup_guru.html

View Profile of Hakalugi Send a personal message to Hakalugi      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VanTiki
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2012-10-19 4:39 pm   Permalink

I'm returning to Portland next year for the marathon, and will DEFINITELY be stopping by for a post race mai-tai!

Henrik "VanTiki"

View Profile of VanTiki Send a personal message to VanTiki  Goto the website of VanTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
heylownine

Posted: 2012-10-21 2:22 pm   Permalink

While waiting for Hale Pele to be immortalized in Locating Tiki, I'll add my thoughts/photos/praise here. In short, Blair and his staff at Hale Pele have knocked it out of the park.

Last year, Val and I made our first trip to Portland and visited Thatch. We liked it so much the first time we made an extra trip back before we returned home. When I saw earlier this year that Thatch was for sale, I at once felt sad (that it may disappear) and happy (that we did get to visit it). The news that Blair had bought the place and was turning it into Hale Pele was most welcome indeed. We'd planned on returning to Portland in 2012 and as luck would have it, we were visiting shortly after the grand opening.

With Hale Pele, it feels like the goodness of Thatch was retained and the quality knob was turned up even higher. Notch up on decor, notch up on cocktails, notch up on the rum selection, and the food...wow. We may have been most surprised by the food and just how high quality it is. I think we tried 2/3 of the cocktail *and* 2/3 of the food menus. As in 2011 we visited twice, spending long evenings at the bar and soaking in the atmosphere. We were treated so well by everyone working there...just a great group of people. I loved being asked something as simple as what my local tiki bar is (shout out to Tonga Hut) and chatting about other great places to visit in Portland and cocktail recipes.

I fear my praise of Hale Pele is not effusive enough. But make no mistake, Hale Pele feels special. You can see it in some of the details in the photos below. We just missed the launch of the spirits list, but I guess that's just another reason to venture north. If you're even thinking of a trip to the northwest, schedule in a stop at Hale Pele. Oh and take a taxi, because you're probably going to want to be there a while.

Mahalo once again to Blair and your staff for making us thirsty tiki travelers feel right at home.

Higher resolution versions of the photos are up
on Flickr

kevin

http://twitter.com/heylownine

View Profile of heylownine Send a personal message to heylownine  Email heylownine Goto the website of heylownine     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigtikidude
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-10-23 12:45 pm   Permalink

Thanks for the review and picks Kevin.

If I get up to Portland I will surely make it a must visit stop.

Jeff(btd)

View Profile of bigtikidude Send a personal message to bigtikidude  Email bigtikidude     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Kupcake
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-10-23 8:55 pm   Permalink

Hale Pele is great! Blair did a great job and I've enjoyed every visit there.

Here's a more in depth review and pictures I wrote on my blog:
http://ourtikilife.blogspot.com/2012/08/hale-pele-media-preview-party.html

View Profile of Tiki Kupcake Send a personal message to Tiki Kupcake  Goto the website of Tiki Kupcake     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hang10tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-10-24 7:11 pm   Permalink

Hope to hit it soon

View Profile of hang10tiki Send a personal message to hang10tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Trader Tom
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2012-11-16 12:20 am   Permalink

The mug release night was fantastic. Blair is doing it right!

I took my friend, Daniel, along with me and we tried several things off the menu. The pulled pork cooked in falernum was great. I had both a Q.B. Cooler and a Jet Pilot. Both were extremely tasty. Daniel isn't exactly a Tikiphile, and often eschews cocktails in favor of beer and bourbon, but he appeared to enjoy his Missionary's Downfall and Pieces of Eight.

The mug, itself, is beautiful.

I will definitely be back soon!

View Profile of Trader Tom Send a personal message to Trader Tom  Email Trader Tom Goto the website of Trader Tom     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation