[Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki B.G.Reynolds to open Hale Pele in Portland, OR
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )
B.G.Reynolds to open Hale Pele in Portland, OR
Trader Tom
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2012-11-17 9:20 pm   Permalink

Okay, so I had to go back and try some more things off the menu. The Zombie was good, but I really like their Navy Grog. Pork bun sliders with fresh baked Hawaiian bread from Lilikoi Bakery also. I don't know if I'll be able to make it this next week for their four-course Thanksgiving meal, but they've already got the menu up and it looks amazing. Two thumbs up!

View Profile of Trader Tom Send a personal message to Trader Tom  Email Trader Tom Goto the website of Trader Tom     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
SoCal Savage
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-06-05 10:29 am   Permalink

I'm on the road shooting a show and flew into Portland last night. My 2 man crew and I had to end up in Eugene, but I convinced them we had to make a stop at Hale Pele first (it really didn't take that much arm twisting).

I started the night off with a Jet Pilot, while my DP had a Sailors Grog. The presentation of the Jet Pilot in a large goblet combined with a flaming float that the waitress sprinkled something on to make it sparkle (I should have asked what it was) was a nice touch, but the drink itself was excellent. Dense and strong and literally bathed in fresh Cinnamon. I sampled the Sailors Grog and it was solid. I've never been a big a fan of Ginger Beer drinks, but my DP enjoyed it. Next I moved on to a 3 dots and a dash. Again, this was mixed perfectly, with just enough honey. Finally I had a (Chief) Lapu Lapu and got my DP to order a Painkiller. Both of these are drinks I love to make at home and they were both fantastic. I don't know if it was Pussers in the Painkiller but it certainly tasted right, down to the nutmeg on top. I have to say the Lapu Lapu was my favorite drink of the night. Like the Jet Pilot it came in a big goblet. What I love about this drink is that it's Orange, Lemon, Passion fruit blend is refreshing and Hale Pele got it spot on. It may be the best Lapu Lapu I've ever had.All of the drinks tasted fresh, balanced and not overly sirupy at all which makes sense considering who owns the place.

Besides the drinks I had a Cannibal plate of Chicken Adobo, Lili Lumpia spring rolls and a Hale Dog. The Chicken, served with sticky rice, was well marinated, juicy and really delicious. The Hale Dog was a portuguese sausage covered in pineapple chunks and other toppings and was really good. The spring rolls were solid. Overall the Cannibal plate definitely stood out.

It should already be known, but I have to mention that the decor in this place is spot on. A nice mix of classic Poly pop, with enough sprinkled nautical elements to keep anyone happy. The Kon Tiki Cannibal trio behind the bar dominate the scene. All through the night at semi regular intervals the Volcano would go off, complete with fog, rain falling in one of the two water features at the front of the restaurant and roaring/thunderous sound effects.

I grabbed one of the Muntiki mugs before I left and our designated driver (who had been drinking a virgin drink on the menu called the designated driver) took us to Eugene. I'll be keeping this guy with me for the rest of my trip.

This was a great visit. I'm hoping I get to come again while I'm traveling through here for the next 7 weeks.

View Profile of SoCal Savage Send a personal message to SoCal Savage      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
El Jefe
Grand Member (2 years)  

Posted: 2014-06-05 10:52 am   Permalink

My wife and I were there earlier this year and had a great time. While in Oregon I even visited Munktiki's studio. The sprinkling of the cinnamon is what caused the sparks.

View Profile of El Jefe Send a personal message to El Jefe      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
SoCal Savage
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-06-05 11:04 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2014-06-05 10:52, El Jefe wrote:
My wife and I were there earlier this year and had a great time. While in Oregon I even visited Munktiki's studio. The sprinkling of the cinnamon is what caused the sparks.

My mystery is solved!

View Profile of SoCal Savage Send a personal message to SoCal Savage      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kkocka
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-06-05 11:10 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2014-06-05 11:04, SoCal Savage wrote:
My mystery is solved!

Here's a great one for you, recorded by RumDood:
http://youtu.be/n72It5df-gA

View Profile of kkocka Send a personal message to kkocka      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
SoCal Savage
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-06-05 11:12 am   Permalink

This is why I love this site. Always something new to learn.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation