FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food Thoughts on lime juice?
Thoughts on lime juice?
heelgrinder
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-05-11 7:14 pm   Permalink

I have a juicer and try to keep fresh lime juice on hand, but it's quite a chore and I go through a lot of limes! Also, not necessarily convenient when travelling and making cocktails away from your own equipment. I guess I should break down and do a taste test with the bottled "from concentrate" lime juice, but would like to hear others' thoughts on this cocktail staple!

[url=http://www.ooga-mooga.com/cgi-bin/all/collection.cgi?mode=gallery&user_id=124][/ur

View Profile of heelgrinder Send a personal message to heelgrinder  Email heelgrinder Goto the website of heelgrinder     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hakalugi
Site Administrator

Posted: 2012-05-11 7:25 pm   Permalink

Try Nellie & Joe's key lime juice. It's worked for me when in a pinch.
http://keylimejuice.com/

View Profile of Hakalugi Send a personal message to Hakalugi      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
CincyTikiCraig
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-05-11 10:01 pm   Permalink

Personally, I would only use bottled lime juice as a very last resort. Hand juicers like the one below are small and pretty easy to travel with and use on the fly:

For home use I picked up the below Black & Decker electric citrus juicer on clearence at Big Lots for $16, it's the best investment I ever made cocktail-wise; makes juicing a cinch.

[ This Message was edited by: CincyTikiCraig 2012-05-11 22:36 ]

View Profile of CincyTikiCraig Send a personal message to CincyTikiCraig      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
jokeiii
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-05-12 04:21 am   Permalink

1- Refrigerated, fresh squeezed lime juice doesn't lose quality for about 6-8 hours. It will keep at high quality, frozen, for 2-3 days.

2- If you use a handheld juicer, do NOT get an enameled one. The acid in lime juice will eat away at the enamel. AMHIK.

3- Bottled Key Lime juice is the best of the bottled juices...and even then, it should be the very, very, very last resort. In fact, I'd avoid making drinks calling for lime juice if I couldn't get fresh juice.

HTH!

View Profile of jokeiii Send a personal message to jokeiii  Goto the website of jokeiii     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
heelgrinder
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-05-13 1:14 pm   Permalink

Thanks for the input! I have a champ of an electric juicer for home, but will definitely have to pick up a handheld for travelling!

Might try the key lime sometime, but for now I'll stick to fresh

View Profile of heelgrinder Send a personal message to heelgrinder  Email heelgrinder Goto the website of heelgrinder     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
nui 'umi 'umi
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-05-14 01:47 am   Permalink

Heelgrinder I use the yellow hand-held for Persian limes and the green hand-held for key or Mexican limes. Yellow is for lemons of course but the larger Persians are a breeze to squeeze as opposed to fussing with the green h-h. I use a larger stand-up press made by the ice-amatic folks when I'm making more than a few mai tais. I'll use bottled when they figure out how to grow em on trees.My 2 cents!Cheers,David
P S Mine are enameled So I rinse my squeezers asap after using cuz I have the same valid concern jokeiii has.

[ This Message was edited by: nui 'umi 'umi 2012-05-14 01:54 ]

View Profile of nui 'umi 'umi Send a personal message to nui 'umi 'umi  Email nui 'umi 'umi     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
jokeiii
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-05-14 06:15 am   Permalink

In my case -- and I freely admit this may have more to do with the quality level of mine than any sort of inherent flaw in the design -- rinsing the enameled handheld lime juicer, religiously, nanoseconds after using didn't prevent the enamel from eventually flaking and chipping off. The plain polished stainless ones (available at Williams-Sonoma) are my choice now.

View Profile of jokeiii Send a personal message to jokeiii  Goto the website of jokeiii     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Chip and Andy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-05-14 08:16 am   Permalink

Fresh is always best when it comes to citrus.

Fresh is not always an option.

There is a middle ground....

Any quality bottled juice can be spruced up by adding a bit of fresh to it. If you need a gallon lime juice, but only have access to a dozen limes? Get a quality bottled product and then add the fresh juice to get at least some of the sparkle and life that comes from fresh squeezed.

It isn't as good as fresh, but it is better than bottled/canned/frozen.

View Profile of Chip and Andy Send a personal message to Chip and Andy  Email Chip and Andy Goto the website of Chip and Andy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiHardBop
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-05-14 12:18 pm   Permalink

I've found that the Stirrings people have a pretty good product when it comes to a bottled lime juice. And despite what one might think, the mojito tastes more like lime juice than the margarita. There are also various organic products at the local grocer that are also pretty good and less expensive, but still a pale imitation of the real thing.

And like suggested above, I kind of do the opposite and sometimes use the bottled stuff to extend the fresh stuff. Some times its necessary when you have a larger (or thirstier) crowd than expected.

View Profile of TikiHardBop Send a personal message to TikiHardBop  Goto the website of TikiHardBop     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-05-15 09:16 am   Permalink

Asking this group a simple question like that can open up a large conversation!

Limes keep pretty easily and the simple scissor type hand juicer is fine when mixing for 2 to 4 people. Fresh lime juice is the difference between good and bad cocktails a lot of the time. And you should not worry about speed as these drinks are strong and taking some time will keep the pace better.

The only bottle I use is Nellie's which you will likely find at the grocery store in the baking aisle. It is stronger than persian lime juice, so mix it at about 3/4 normal amounts.

And keep
The Grogalizer and Tiki+ handy!

Announcing Swank Pad and Crazy Al's Molokai Maiden!

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation