FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Travel Advice from any locals. Will i have enough time to see everything?
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
Advice from any locals. Will i have enough time to see everything?
TikiVato
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-06-05 5:31 pm   Permalink

I just got permission from Mrs.Vato. Swizzle, If you like, I can offer you the following:

Monday, August 27th : Pick up at LAX/Happy hour at Trader Vics / Lodging: La Mirada area off the 5 fwy, I can book hotwire rates for under 100.00 per night for a 3 star hotel for Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday nights.

Tuesday, August 28th : Pick you up at hotel and drop you off at Disneyland / 5:00pm meet you at Trader Sam's /6:30pm Don the Beachcombers

Wednesday, August 29th: 10:15am, Pick you up at hotel/ 10:30am Bloody Mary at Tiki Nui,my house/ 11:30am Oceanic Arts / 1:30pm Bahooka / 4:00pm Tiki Ti/ 7:30 Rumpus room

Thursday, August 30th : Pick you up at hotel check out/ 4:00pm Tiki No (North Hollywood)/ 6:00pm Tonga Hut (North Hollywood)/ 8:30pm Purple Orchid . I can book you a three star hotel near LAX for under 100.00 for Thursday, August 30th.

Friday, August 31st. Check out of hotel and take shuttle to LAX.

TikiVato

View Profile of TikiVato Send a personal message to TikiVato  Email TikiVato     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
swizzle
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-06-06 04:34 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2012-06-05 15:46, JOHN-O wrote:

If you want to visit Rumpus Room as well on Wed, I might be able to give you a ride from Tiki Ti (which from where I live, is on the way).

Quote:

On 2012-06-05 17:08, TikiVato wrote:
John-O, I am working on my schedule for the week that Swizzle is in town. I am hoping to be able to offer myself as a designated driver in my Yukon. If I am successful, I have a tentative itinerary that I will submit to Swizzle for his approval. You are welcome to join us if he decides he wants me to drive him.

Are you guys serious? Or just crazy? Or seriously crazy? I don't know what to say.

JOHN-O, i'd love to go to the Rumpus Room. That's something i hadn't even considered. If that's another place i can get to see and hang out with some like-minded individuals, i'm in.

TikiVato, your itinerary and the fact that you are willing to offer to do that for me, a complete stranger, has blown me away. I'm flattered and would be mad not to take you up on your gracious offer. I'll PM you in the next couple of days. JOHN-O, i'll get in touch with you when the time gets closer also.

Thanks to both of you, i'm truly grateful.

P.S. Are either, or both of you actually going to TO?

View Profile of swizzle Send a personal message to swizzle  Email swizzle     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JOHN-O
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-06-06 07:13 am   Permalink

Not a stranger at all, I've followed your posts over the last few years and can see you have a genuine passion for Tiki. That someone can be SO into this stuff from so far away has always impressed me. Heck we have some some Tikiphiles here in So Cal that have never visited the Tiki Ti.

You should take TikiVato up on his offer. Not only is he one of the nicest people I know in Tiki, but based on his retired profession you will be in no safer hands than his on the "mean streets" of Los Angeles. And you are right, trying to navigate So Cal without a car is difficult, especially trying to get to some of our Tiki places that really aren't in tourist areas. (Also you guys drive on the wrong side of the road).

And yes I will be at Oasis.

View Profile of JOHN-O Send a personal message to JOHN-O      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiVato
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-06-06 08:10 am   Permalink

Swizzle,
It will be my pleasure just to see you enjoy what many of us here take for granted. My grandson's birthday prevents me from staying in San Diego this year but my brother is going and I hope to do a one day appearance. I will keep you posted.

JOHN-O, how about you meet me at the Tiki Ti and ride over with Mrs. Vato, Swizzle and me to the Rumpus Room. My brother and his wife may make it to that one. Take a look at the itinerary and if you can make it one any or all of the days, there's always room in my vehicle for you. I also plan on taking swizzle to a local bar to see a mural.

TikiVato

View Profile of TikiVato Send a personal message to TikiVato  Email TikiVato     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2012-06-06 08:20 am   Permalink

Now THAT is ALOHA! Makes me proud to be a associated with this group
Swizz, can't wait to meet you at TO

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiVato
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-06-06 08:29 am   Permalink

The itinerary is open to anyone wanting to extend our Southern California hospitality to our fellow tiki central mate. Hope to see many of you at any or all of the bars we will visit. Woohoo and Soccer Tiki, I know you will see us at Don's.

TikiVato

nui 'umi 'umi
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-06-06 2:08 pm   Permalink

Aloha Swiz: Looking forward to meeting you. I'm Tikivatos older,wiser brother. Were you seeking advice from locals or locos? Either way we both grew up in L A so we are very familiar with Socal. Hopefully Joe will let me and my better half tag along on some of your excursions.
Cheers,
David

View Profile of nui 'umi 'umi Send a personal message to nui 'umi 'umi  Email nui 'umi 'umi     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
swizzle
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-06-12 03:27 am   Permalink

OK guys, i've booked all my accommodation and flights so now all i have to do is relax until August. I managed to find a cheap hotel one block north of Union Square and looking at it on Google Maps it appears to be in a good position to get to all the places i want to see and that have been suggested.

If anyone has any other suggestions, or would like to meet for a drink in San Fran. or L.A., please PM me or leave a post here. I'll be in San Francisco at about 5:00pm from Thursday 23rd until around 12:00pm Monday 27th.
Kahuna Kevin lives south in Mountain View and he already has an itinerary planned for which nights we'll be seeing which bars although it isn't set in stone yet. There are a couple of other places not mentioned that i'd like to go to and have to work it into the schedule with him.

JOHN-O and MDM. I'll see you guys at Oasis and hopefully for any or all excursions that TikiVato will be taking me on whilst in L.A. (Monday 27th about 3:00pm until early Friday the 31st.)
nui'umi'umi. I'll be happy to have you join me. Provided Joe lets you.

TikiVato. Thanks again for your hospitality and i'll talk to you soon.

Cheers
swizzle

View Profile of swizzle Send a personal message to swizzle  Email swizzle     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
harro
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-06-12 06:49 am   Permalink

hey swizzle i just saw your thread now. i guess you're probably all covered but just my 2c :

i hired a car after oasis to drive up to LA and it made life a lot easier getting to places like Bali Hai, Dons, OA, Tiki farm, Bahooka etc. Didn't need one in San Fran but it helps if a friendly TC'er can take you between Vics and forbidden island.

TC nights are the best (dons monday, tiki ti wed, kirby's wed, San fran Vics last thursday of month etc) - great way to meet peeps and save money too.

if you can find someone to share with (or can afford it), stay at the Hanalei/crown for Oasis as nothing beats being right amongst it for the weekend.

take an empty suitcase and plenty of bubblewrap...

View Profile of harro Send a personal message to harro  Email harro     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiVato
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-06-12 08:58 am   Permalink

Robbie,
Harro comes up with great ideas. If your airline charges per suitcase, don't bring an empty suitcase, we can get a cheap one here at a goodwill. I have bubble wrap and if you need more, there is a place we can get some near by.

TikiVato

Bamboo Bev
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2012-06-22 2:39 pm   Permalink

Sounds like a great trip Swizzle, would be cool to go over for Tiki Oasis one year.

View Profile of Bamboo Bev Send a personal message to Bamboo Bev      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Trailerpark Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-06-22 3:01 pm   Permalink

Hey Swizzle, I would enjoy having a drink with you when you are in Vegas. We don't have a lot of tiki sites here but we have some good tiki people. PM me when it gets closer and we can meet at Frankies or your hotel. I can fill you in on Vegas but like most TC'ers I'm not real happy with the 'new' Vegas because it is starting to look like New York City. But if you've never been here there's some crazy shit to see. -Wade

PS-I'm not going to Oasis because I'm spending my vacation money to go to Hawaii in July.

View Profile of Trailerpark Tiki Send a personal message to Trailerpark Tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiVato
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-08-27 10:26 pm   Permalink

Swizzle will be here tomorrow. Here is Robbie's tentative itinerary

Tuesday, August 28th : Pick up Robbie at LAX/ check into hotel/ drop him off at Disneyland / 6:00pm -ish meet him at Trader Sam's. If we have time and he feels up to it, we will go to Don the Beachcombers

Wednesday, August 29th: Pick up Swizzle up at hotel 12:00pm-ish quick visit to Tiki Nui, my house/ 12:30pm Oceanic Arts / 2:00pm Bahooka/ 4:00pm meet with John -O at Tiki Ti/ 7:30 Rumpus room

Thursday, August 30th : Pick up Swizzle at hotel/ check out/check in at Lax hotel 11:30am / 3:00pm/Happy hour at Trader Vics /5:00pm Tiki No (North Hollywood)/ 7:00pm Tonga Hut (North Hollywood)/ 8:30pm Purple Orchid

Friday, August 31st. Check out of hotel and take shuttle to LAX

All TCers' are welcome to join us at any or all of our stops. If you plan on joining us at any or all of the events, PM me and I will send you my phone number so you can call or text me so we can look out for you.

TikiVato

SandraDee
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-08-27 11:08 pm   Permalink

Swizzle it was great hanging out while you were here!

We were able to see APE play the Make-out Room in SF, hit Trader Vic's in Emeryville, Forbidden Island, attempted to get a drink at Kona Club (man the bartender SUCKS) and he went to Smuggler's Cove with Kahuna Kevin.

I know today he is down at Danlovestikis house checking out Wendy and Dan's collection and then heading your way tomorrow TikiVato.

Good to spend time with ya, mate!

View Profile of SandraDee Send a personal message to SandraDee      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiVato
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-08-28 12:11 am   Permalink

Post some pictures Sandra-Dee.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation