FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Home Tiki Bars Aloha Theater and Tiki Bar!
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 )
Aloha Theater and Tiki Bar!
littlegiles
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-07-10 7:12 pm   Permalink

I really like the look of those up there. I like the idea of attaching them to board first and then screwing them up there. would be easy to relocate if you ever moved or decided to use them differently.

- Dale

View Profile of littlegiles Send a personal message to littlegiles  Email littlegiles     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MaukaHale
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-07-12 7:33 pm   Permalink

Thanks Dale,

I had some black bamboo left over from the wall installation so I thought I would put it to use.

I have spotlights in front of the two tall tikis, to focus the light upward I placed poster board shields around the lights.

I ran the bamboo fence through the table saw and cut it to the same height.

I left the poster board on the inside to block out the light from going through the cracks.

"People are like islands. You have to get close to them to know what they are about."
~ Adam Troy

View Profile of MaukaHale Send a personal message to MaukaHale  Email MaukaHale     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Moai Mike
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2014-07-25 04:46 am   Permalink

Aloha, Maukahale! You do good work! It looks terrific! Hope to see it some day. Your friend,

MoaiMike

View Profile of Moai Mike Send a personal message to Moai Mike      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Pele Paul
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-07-25 12:38 pm   Permalink

what type of up lights spot lights do you use and where do you find em? Ive been trying to do the same thing for years and presto there you are with your superb lights!!! awesome job, now Ive got another project, the GF s gonna kill me!!! thanks
paul

View Profile of Pele Paul Send a personal message to Pele Paul  Email Pele Paul     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MaukaHale
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-07-27 11:30 pm   Permalink

Hi Mike, thanks for the compliment. I hope I get a chance to see your tiki room someday. I may go to the Sacramento crawl in October. Maybe we can meet up there. I never thought I could grow Hibiscus flowers at high altitude but I'm giving it a shot.

Pele Paul, the single spot lights I use come from "Lamps Plus." I looked at a lot of places and they had the right light for my needs. Its a low voltage light and costs between $50 and $60 depending on if you hit them when they are having a sale. For the white lights I use 50 watt halogen bulbs with a 10 degree angle. I then have it connected to a dimmer switch to control the brightness. The blue bulbs I use on the large tikis came from a source I found on the Internet. The red and yellow you see comes from the edge of the bulb. Where the bulb is pointed shines blue.

The lights have there own base so you can set them on a surface or hang them on the wall or the ceiling.

"People are like islands. You have to get close to them to know what they are about."
~ Adam Troy

[ This Message was edited by: MaukaHale 2014-07-28 07:10 ]

View Profile of MaukaHale Send a personal message to MaukaHale  Email MaukaHale     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MaukaHale
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-08-19 9:17 pm   Permalink

I have several projects going on. This one I finished up over the weekend. I took down the lighted blow fish and put up bamboo reed and thatch.

Another project I'm working on is to make a frame for a piece of tapa cloth that will go on the ceiling, above the stairs, that goes to the lower level where the Aloha Theater and Tiki Bar is Located. The frame will extend past the tapa and go to the wall.

I was trying different patterns to carve into the frame. They all made everything look too busy.

I got the idea to mirror the pattern in the tapa that was next to the wood frame.

When I get it done I'll let you know how it came out.

~ Adam Troy

[ This Message was edited by: MaukaHale 2014-08-19 21:20 ]

Pele Paul
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-08-20 11:13 am   Permalink

wow! thanks for the intel o the lights and bulbs my friend!!! that helps a lot, now to go to Lamps plus+ and pick me up some soon! and the space is looking awesome too!!!

View Profile of Pele Paul Send a personal message to Pele Paul  Email Pele Paul     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Greg_D_R
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-08-20 7:01 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2014-07-12 19:33, MaukaHale wrote:

I had some black bamboo left over from the wall installation so I thought I would put it to use.

I have spotlights in front of the two tall tikis, to focus the light upward I placed poster board shields around the lights.

I ran the bamboo fence through the table saw and cut it to the same height.

I left the poster board on the inside to block out the light from going through the cracks.

Aha, I will be stealing this idea from you shortly, thanks!!

View Profile of Greg_D_R Send a personal message to Greg_D_R      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kahuna Kraig
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2014-08-28 9:25 pm   Permalink

Fantastic detail. I am gettinf so many great ideas here!

View Profile of Kahuna Kraig Send a personal message to Kahuna Kraig  Email Kahuna Kraig     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
komohana
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-08-29 11:07 pm   Permalink

MaukaHale, those frames look fabulous! Really cool idea to carry the tapa pattern onto the woodwork.

Your whole place is typical of why I love this area of Tiki Central, like watching a tiny green bud open out into a magnificent flower.

btw. Speaking of flowers, your hibiscus looks very familiar.

Could it possibly be an Australian native commonly known as a Sturt Dessert Rose?

Frost resistant and thrives on neglect.

[ This Message was edited by: komohana 2014-08-29 23:17 ]

View Profile of komohana Send a personal message to komohana      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MaukaHale
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-08-31 7:27 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2014-08-29 23:07, komohana wrote:

Could it possibly be an Australian native commonly known as a Sturt Dessert Rose?

Frost resistant and thrives on neglect.

Yes they are Sturt Desert Rose. I hope they do well because it gets below freezing in the winter.

I have the carving done on the frame, now I have to figure out the stain.

~ Adam Troy

VampiressRN
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2014-09-01 11:46 pm   Permalink

Love your turtle project...the frame is fabulous.

View Profile of VampiressRN Send a personal message to VampiressRN  Email VampiressRN Goto the website of VampiressRN     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Mr. Pupu Pants
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-09-03 9:32 pm   Permalink

That blended Tapa and carved wood frame is one of the coolest tikified 'solutions' I've ever seen. Absolutely beeeeeautiful!
Fantastic job all around.
John
(Mr. Pupu Pants)

View Profile of Mr. Pupu Pants Send a personal message to Mr. Pupu Pants  Email Mr. Pupu Pants     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MaukaHale
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-09-15 09:55 am   Permalink

John, Thank you for the compliment. That means a lot to me. Your room (Hula Sue's South Sea Hideaway) is one of the most creative ones I have ever seen. I hope we get to see more of it in the future and your arm has gotten stronger since your accident.

I finished the frame for the turtle. I used a red chestnut stain. Its photographed against a piece of black foam board that I'm using for another project.

~ Adam Troy

hang10tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-09-16 11:00 am   Permalink

Wow
That came out great....

Jon

View Profile of hang10tiki Send a personal message to hang10tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation