FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Home Tiki Bars Aloha Theater and Tiki Bar!
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )
Aloha Theater and Tiki Bar!
MaukaHale
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-05-24 08:11 am   Permalink

I am looking for information about the bar that I acquired. It was purchased at a consignment furniture store that sells furniture from model homes for residential home builders. I was there because my wife was looking for a couch. It was in the back of the store and had been marked down three different times and said "Final Mark Down." I couldn't pass it up.

I think its vintage because most of the contemporary bars I have seen usually have shelves in the back. This one is made of oak and has cabinets in the back.

It looks like its had some fairly good use in the past. Someone added a lock for the liquor cabinet and the cutting board has a lot of use as well.

Any information on who may have made this would be welcomed. My thoughts are that someone had it custom made.

View Profile of MaukaHale Send a personal message to MaukaHale  Email MaukaHale     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MaukaHale
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-05-31 5:46 pm   Permalink

In the ceiling there's a pocket created by the wall and air duct. I had the idea to hang something in this area and came up with the idea of blow fish.

I then decided that these guys need some lights and replaced them with these guys:

When I first started this project I thought the center piece would be this Maori Canoe. Since it's in the room with the theater screen the lights are low and you can't see it.

I purchased a low voltage track light to see what it looks like and what a difference.

I'm even thinking of lighting some of the other wall hangings.

Right now all the electric is temporary and I plan on fishing the wires so everything will be hard wired. I want to put bamboo on the ceiling but I'm not sure how to handle that if I want to use can lights with spotlights. For those of you that have done this what are your suggestions for putting spotlights in the ceiling? Do I need to stay with track lights or is there a way to use can lights that are embedded in the ceiling and still cover the ceiling with bamboo?

View Profile of MaukaHale Send a personal message to MaukaHale  Email MaukaHale     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-05-31 6:47 pm   Permalink

Canned lights are not Tiki.

View Profile of Atomic Tiki Punk Send a personal message to Atomic Tiki Punk      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigtikidude
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-05-31 6:57 pm   Permalink

what about canned laugh tracks?

View Profile of bigtikidude Send a personal message to bigtikidude  Email bigtikidude     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MaukaHale
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-05-31 11:16 pm   Permalink

Wow, two cheap shots in a row! Thanks for the support.

Q-tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-06-01 05:41 am   Permalink

I don't know that I can offer any great advice, but I think the can lights would probably be easier to conceal with bamboo, matting, or general tiki bric-a-brac. Don't you think?

You have some very nice pieces so far (the canoe is outstanding) that deserve to be highlighted. Keep striving towards your vision!

View Profile of Q-tiki Send a personal message to Q-tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MaukaHale
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-06-01 07:38 am   Permalink

Thank you for your suggestion. I'm really limited on what I can do with the ceiling. This is an older home and like other homes the ceiling in the basement is only 7' 3" high. I really can't hang very much except near the walls. If you look at the glass float light you'll see that it's in corner and above an end table.

MarkMyWords used spotlights in his "Walls of Voodoo." He has the same look in a ceiling that I am looking for using reed fencing.

gabbahey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-06-01 08:18 am   Permalink

That is a beautiful bar - it does look like it has some age. The drawer pulls would be the easiest way to date it. My gut feeling is 1960s custom home bar.

gabbahey

View Profile of gabbahey Send a personal message to gabbahey      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-06-01 11:20 am   Permalink

So here is an idea, Take 2 inch half round bamboo, insert (LED, low heat output) Rope lights inside the rounds
mount them light side to the ceiling and 1 to 2 inches away from the ceiling.

You got Tiki strip lighting & you can use larger rounds if you wanted.

[ This Message was edited by: Atomic Tiki Punk 2012-06-02 17:36 ]

View Profile of Atomic Tiki Punk Send a personal message to Atomic Tiki Punk      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MaukaHale
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-06-02 5:23 pm   Permalink

You may have something there.

I'm not looking for lighting for the room but low voltage spotlights to accent certain items on the wall. Walt Disney hid these spotlights in bamboo in the Enchanted Tiki Room:

----------------------------

It would have to be fabricated but worth looking into - Thanks!

hang10tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-06-02 7:50 pm   Permalink

lots o fun stuff

View Profile of hang10tiki Send a personal message to hang10tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
savoy6
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2012-06-03 07:57 am   Permalink

nicely done....i like the fact that it's more open than a lot of the bars i see on here...more room for people to mingle when it's in use..

View Profile of savoy6 Send a personal message to savoy6      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
KittyKat65
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2012-06-03 10:17 am   Permalink

Wow, I really like this room! Lots of space and really nicely planned out.

View Profile of KittyKat65 Send a personal message to KittyKat65      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MaukaHale
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-06-13 11:05 am   Permalink

[ This Message was edited by: MaukaHale 2012-06-13 11:09 ]

mymotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-06-13 4:09 pm   Permalink

Your home bar is fantastic. I love the way that you are highlighting art pieces. It isn't jammed with everything tiki. You have all kinds of cool art, different textures, nice wall colors. It is classy looking and well thought out! I totally love it!

View Profile of mymotiki Send a personal message to mymotiki  Email mymotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation