FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Home Tiki Bars Aloha Theater and Tiki Bar!
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
Aloha Theater and Tiki Bar!
MaukaHale
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-06-14 07:54 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2012-06-13 16:09, mymotiki wrote:
Your home bar is fantastic. I love the way that you are highlighting art pieces. It isn't jammed with everything tiki. You have all kinds of cool art, different textures, nice wall colors. It is classy looking and well thought out! I totally love it!

Thank you.

"People are like islands. You have to get close to them to know what they are about."
~ Adam Troy

View Profile of MaukaHale Send a personal message to MaukaHale      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MaukaHale
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-03-16 07:45 am   Permalink

Last October I attended Monkeyman's Router Carving Day. I went with the intention to learn how to carve trim by making a sign. After seeing the "South Pacific Room," I was inspired to do other things as well. The first one was the discovery of the Tapa Cloth - Fish Trap Light, Monkeyman taught a workshop in 2007 on how to build these. By going back to the topic thread I saw the "step-by-step" process. This was the light I was looking for to go over the free standing tiki bar.

Here are pictures of my light being made. I really like it when everyone on TC shows how they do things.

I still need to glue on the tapa cloth. I'm waiting until I put a big piece on the wall. The remnants will be used for the light and a few other projects. Here is the tapa cloth I am working with:

The wood laying on the tapa is going to be the trim that will outline the wall. The reason its doesn't start at the edge is because I'm trying to hide some worm damage to the cloth that has been repaired but still shows. The cloth is going to cover the wall that the Maori Half Hull Canoe is on. The canoe will be over the worm holes.

I've decided that the trim will be based on the carving that's on the gunwale of the canoe that was designed by Leroy Schmaltz at Oceanic Arts. There are different patterns he uses so I will just use two of them and alternate them.

I learned to copy the pattern with carbon paper from Monkeyman

It was confusing to use lines to indicate where to carve so my patterns are reversed. I carve in the space between the lines.

This is just a test piece of wood to decide how the finished trim will look.

Leroy bevals the edges on some of the pieces of trim he makes so I thought I would see how it looks.

I tried different stains but the one that looked closest to the canoe was a gel stain. I think Leroy paints a lot of his carvings.

This is how it looks now so I just need to get the trim done. I'll post more pictures as the project progresses.

"People are like islands. You have to get close to them to know what they are about."
~ Adam Troy

[ This Message was edited by: MaukaHale 2013-03-17 10:14 ]

View Profile of MaukaHale Send a personal message to MaukaHale      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Big Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-03-16 2:29 pm   Permalink

Nice work. Thanks, for the in-progress pics.

View Profile of Big Kahuna Send a personal message to Big Kahuna  Email Big Kahuna     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
LoriLovesTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-03-16 5:24 pm   Permalink

Thanks for the step by step photos. I find them so interesting and educational.

View Profile of LoriLovesTiki Send a personal message to LoriLovesTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hale Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-03-17 07:10 am   Permalink

Would you mind linking to the thread with the step by step on the fish trap lights? I've been wanting to make one for some time.
Thanks!

View Profile of Hale Tiki Send a personal message to Hale Tiki  Email Hale Tiki Goto the website of Hale Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MaukaHale
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-03-17 10:09 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-03-17 07:10, Hale Tiki wrote:
Would you mind linking to the thread with the step by step on the fish trap lights? I've been wanting to make one for some time.
Thanks!

Its not really a step-by-step thread. I was able to see how they were made by the photographs. There is a complete parts list. I was only able to find the 9" wooden rings at Michael's. I had to order the 6" from Amazon.com. The lamp parts were found at ACE Hardware.

2007 Lamp Day May 26th-Vista, CA

http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?mode=viewtopic&topic=24080&forum=17&start=0

~ Adam Troy

Hale Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-03-17 11:10 am   Permalink

I missed that thread. Thanks man. Did you end up using the entire 3x4 sheet of tapa? I've got some, but it's all allocated to other lamps. I'll have to order more.

View Profile of Hale Tiki Send a personal message to Hale Tiki  Email Hale Tiki Goto the website of Hale Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
LoriLovesTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-03-17 3:52 pm   Permalink

Where can one get tapa? I love the lamps that many of you are creating but don't live anywhere near OA.

View Profile of LoriLovesTiki Send a personal message to LoriLovesTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MaukaHale
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-03-18 08:44 am   Permalink

Hale Tiki: I'm not using the Fijian Tapa for the light. I'm am using remnants from the Tonga Tapa in the picture above.

Lori: For me, Oceanic Arts has turned out to be the best place to get Tapa. Maybe others on this list have other sources. Two years ago a picked up a piece of Figian Tapa, at Oceanic Arts, for about $55 dollars. In 2007 I think Monkeyman said the tapa they used cost $45. From what I have learned Tapa is not as available as it used to be. For about a year I tracked the prices on Ebay. For most tapas the prices on Ebay are higher than Oceanic Arts prices. The nice thing about OC is that if you don't live in the area they will ship just about anything anywhere. You can order a catalog from them by sending $10.

http://www.oceanicarts.net/

~ Adam Troy

ErkNoLikeFire
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-03-22 08:22 am   Permalink

That is some nice woodworking there. Good job!

View Profile of ErkNoLikeFire Send a personal message to ErkNoLikeFire  Email ErkNoLikeFire     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
LoriLovesTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-03-22 5:49 pm   Permalink

Thanks MaukaHale!

I didn't realize Oceanic Arts shipped across the country.

hang10tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-03-25 9:44 pm   Permalink

Great stuff in the works...

Thanks for showing...

Jon

View Profile of hang10tiki Send a personal message to hang10tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MaukaHale
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-04-03 9:58 pm   Permalink

Here's a progress report:

I have the tapa cut and temporarily hanging while I finish the trim. So far I have about 16' of the top cut with the sides still needing to be routed. This puts me at about half of what I need.

Its taking longer to carve the tops since I decided I didn't want round corners on the inside angel cuts

I'm carving each inside angle, by hand, with a "V" parting tool.

The fish trap light also needs a design change. I thought the Tonga Tapa would look good on the light and match the tapa on the wall. With external lighting the tapa looks good.

When the light is lighted on the inside it doesn't look that good.

I am looking for a piece of Masai (also called Fijian Tapa) for the light. I think that's what Monkeyman used for his lights.

I'll post more pictures when I get further along.

~ Adam Troy

GROG
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2013-04-03 11:25 pm   Permalink

Stuff's looking good. You just better hope Bamboo Ben doesn't see your walls and ceiling or he's going to spank you.

View Profile of GROG Send a personal message to GROG      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MaukaHale
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-04-04 06:39 am   Permalink

Grog, you're right! I do have a plan for the ceiling.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation