FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Home Tiki Bars Aloha Theater and Tiki Bar!
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 Next Page )
Aloha Theater and Tiki Bar!
MaukaHale
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-04-29 9:27 pm   Permalink

Thank you everyone for your comments.

I am just about done with wall no. 2.

Its the first time I have cut bamboo for trim work. I read on another thread that putting tape over the cut area, before cutting, helps keep the skin of the bamboo from shredding. Since I had a lot of Duct Tape I gave it a try.

It worked really well and I left it on after the first cut in case I needed to take a little more off.

I knew the PNG mask was going to be too big to fit into the space. I thought I would run the trim around the mask but it looked just as good running the trim through the mask.

The only thing I have left to do is some router carving on wood strips to cover the gap at the top and bottom of the black bamboo.

In the meantime I am adding Lauhala matting to the wall with the natural bamboo.

Next I need to put reed on this ceiling and Nipa Thatch is going over the drywall that covers the air ducts.

"People are like islands. You have to get close to them to know what they are about."
~ Adam Troy

View Profile of MaukaHale Send a personal message to MaukaHale  Email MaukaHale     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Monkeyman
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-04-29 10:07 pm   Permalink

very clean installation...

View Profile of Monkeyman Send a personal message to Monkeyman  Email Monkeyman     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-04-29 10:55 pm   Permalink

Looking Good!

View Profile of Atomic Tiki Punk Send a personal message to Atomic Tiki Punk      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
littlegiles
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-04-30 05:30 am   Permalink

Looks amazing! That light on the PNG mask is...very...mesmerizing. Must...make...mai-tai...now.

- Dale

View Profile of littlegiles Send a personal message to littlegiles  Email littlegiles     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MaukaHale
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-05-11 11:18 am   Permalink

A new flower arrangement in memory of Mom on Mother's Day.

View Profile of MaukaHale Send a personal message to MaukaHale  Email MaukaHale     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Pele Paul
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-05-12 08:17 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2014-04-30 05:30, littlegiles wrote:
Looks amazing! That light on the PNG mask is...very...mesmerizing. Must...make...mai-tai...now.

- Dale

LOL I agree!!!! must make Mai-Tai's too!!!!
Theater looks great!!!! cant wait to see more!!!
paul

View Profile of Pele Paul Send a personal message to Pele Paul  Email Pele Paul     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Humuhumu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-05-17 1:49 pm   Permalink

I heartily approve of your aggressive use of brown. All hail brown! Brown all the things!

Great and inspiring job on the ceiling. I have a low, flat ceiling to work with, and it's been hard to get excited about my options. You've got my wheels turning!

Critiki - Ooga-Mooga - Humu Kon Tiki

View Profile of Humuhumu Send a personal message to Humuhumu  Email Humuhumu Goto the website of Humuhumu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MaukaHale
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-05-17 1:58 pm   Permalink

The reed fence worked really well the ceiling. From carpet to ceiling its only 88 inches.

I thought BROWN was the UNIVERSAL color for TIKI.

"People are like islands. You have to get close to them to know what they are about."
~ Adam Troy

VampiressRN
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2014-05-17 8:40 pm   Permalink

Love your attention to detail and the spot light affects on your art.

View Profile of VampiressRN Send a personal message to VampiressRN  Email VampiressRN Goto the website of VampiressRN     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MaukaHale
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-06-22 8:37 pm   Permalink

This is the other ceiling that is in the room with the tiki bar. I can't believe what a difference it makes to paint the ceiling a color that is close to the bamboo reed. It really hides the gaps and makes it look fuller than it is.

Here is what it looks like close up and in bright light but from a distance and in lower light you can't see the gaps.

This room was more of a challenge since the width of the room is more than 12 feet. I couldn't use two 6ft sections so I had to do it in three sections.

Here I'm matching the color to the Nipa thatch

This area I need to tackle next.

~ Adam Troy

littlegiles
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-06-23 12:10 pm   Permalink

That really is looking sweet!

- Dale

View Profile of littlegiles Send a personal message to littlegiles  Email littlegiles     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MaukaHale
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-06-25 6:52 pm   Permalink

I should probably put a lauhala matt behind this and frame it in bamboo. Any other suggestions?

~ Adam Troy

dtel
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-06-29 12:47 pm   Permalink

Great looking room, amazing and the lighting looks perfect. Very nice

View Profile of dtel Send a personal message to dtel  Email dtel     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
LoriLovesTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-07-01 4:44 pm   Permalink

Looking great!

View Profile of LoriLovesTiki Send a personal message to LoriLovesTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MaukaHale
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-07-09 09:40 am   Permalink

For the longest time I've been trying to decide what to put on the dry wall that covers the air ducts. I'm putting thatch on the sides but the underside has been a challenge.

I thought about painting it with a stencil to look like tapa cloth or just covering it with burlap.

Then I ran across these three pieces of tapa cloth.

For now they are temporarily nailed but I think I'll glue them to foam board as well as surround them with small lauhala matting. I'll glue the matting to separate foam boards and then use screws to attach the boards to the ceiling. I'm always thinking about what I'll need to do if I ever move. I think this will make it easy to remove the tapa and matting. I'll post some pictures when I figure this out. Any other ideas on how to hang these?

~ Adam Troy

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation