FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Home Tiki Bars Aloha Theater and Tiki Bar!
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 )
Aloha Theater and Tiki Bar!
MaukaHale
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-12-17 09:07 am   Permalink

Nothing says Christmas like lights and ornaments with tikis under the palm tree.

"People are like islands. You have to get close to them to know what they are about."
~ Adam Troy

View Profile of MaukaHale Send a personal message to MaukaHale  Email MaukaHale     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MaukaHale
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-12-17 8:47 pm   Permalink

Here are some progress pictures showing how I attached the tapa to the ceiling

I used spray adhesive to attach the tapa to black foam core board. I then surrounded the tapa with fine weave lauhala matting.

The panels are held to the ceiling using wood oak corner molding.

The two panels are pushed together with nothing at the seams. I used the natural back bow of the foam board to hold it against the ceiling.

There still is one section left to do and I'll use this piece for the remaing section.

"People are like islands. You have to get close to them to know what they are about."
~ Adam Troy

View Profile of MaukaHale Send a personal message to MaukaHale  Email MaukaHale     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MaukaHale
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 22 days ago; 9:12 pm   Permalink

I had one section of the ceiling to finish. Its a small strip that hangs down about an inch that has been framed around a few pipes.

Instead of covering it with a small piece of bamboo fence, I decided to use Neou Palm panels.

Here is a section of a wall with some new bamboo trim.

~ Adam Troy

[ This Message was edited by: MaukaHale 2015-01-06 21:28 ]

Slacks Ferret
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 22 days ago; 9:23 pm   Permalink

Looks great! Mahalo for posting!

View Profile of Slacks Ferret Send a personal message to Slacks Ferret  Email Slacks Ferret     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 22 days ago; 9:49 pm   Permalink

Liking the clean, streamlined look.

View Profile of Atomic Tiki Punk Send a personal message to Atomic Tiki Punk      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VampiressRN
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 20 days ago; 8:35 pm   Permalink

Wow...that looks great. You did a wonderful job. My ceiling is thirsting for the tapa I have, but it sure helps to see how people install theirs, before I make the big move. Your place is indeed classy!!!

View Profile of VampiressRN Send a personal message to VampiressRN  Email VampiressRN Goto the website of VampiressRN     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Aloha Daddy
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 17 days ago; 9:34 pm   Permalink

Wow, I just discovered your Tiki masterpiece, you do amazing work. Thanks especially for posting the progress pics of the projects! I may be stealing your ceiling ideas as that is the next project on my list. I am renting so I need to do things in a way that they can be removed and moved easily. Please keep up the good work and keep the pics coming! I hope we can visit one anothers' tiki creations soon!

View Profile of Aloha Daddy Send a personal message to Aloha Daddy      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MaukaHale
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 7 days ago; 6:54 pm   Permalink

Slacks Ferret, Atomic Tiki Punk and VampiressRN thank you for the kind words. Its always very motivating when people like what you're doing.

Aloha Daddy - everything I'm doing is to preserve the existing walls and ceilings. I use very small nails for the tapa and matting. If I was to remove everything I would only need to repair small nail holes and touch up with paint. The screws in the ceiling are a little larger but they can be patched as well. I remember when I was trying to figure out how to attach the matting I asked Oceanic Arts how they do it. They told me they use contact cement. That would definitely destroy the finish on the wall.

I'm currently putting up bamboo board on one wall. If you're interested I could take more detail pictures to show how I install it.

Here is a new piece of trim I'm working on.

I've painted half of it white and the other half will be the same black stain that's on the trim piece under it.

After I fill this small area I can finish the last area of ceiling with bamboo.

~ Adam Troy

[ This Message was edited by: MaukaHale 2015-01-21 19:45 ]

MaukaHale
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2 days ago; 5:37 pm   Permalink

This came out different than I expected. Even though I wiped the stain off the white paint, it came out a silver gray. Its not what I envisioned but this turned out better than I thought. I like this color.

~ Adam Troy

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation