FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Home Tiki Bars Aloha Theater and Tiki Bar!
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 )
Aloha Theater and Tiki Bar!
MaukaHale
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2015-02-16 9:09 pm   Permalink

Aloha Daddy I'm like you. Someday this will have to come down so my install is made to create minimum damage and an easy way to take this all apart. I don't plan on doing this soon but someday it will happen.

I use small brad nails along the edge were the bamboo will cover the seam.

I don't put the nail all the way in so someday I can get a hammer under the head. The Bamboo will cover the nails so they won't show.

I drill a hole in the bamboo the size of a finishing nail.

When its possible I try to put the nail next to a node on the bamboo.

I then leave enough of the nail head exposed so I can get a small hammer head under the nail head.

Here's how this room has evolved since I started:

"People are like islands. You have to get close to them to know what they are about."
~ Adam Troy

[ This Message was edited by: MaukaHale 2015-02-16 21:13 ]

View Profile of MaukaHale Send a personal message to MaukaHale  Email MaukaHale     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MaukaHale
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2015-02-28 8:59 pm   Permalink

"People are like islands. You have to get close to them to know what they are about."
~ Adam Troy

View Profile of MaukaHale Send a personal message to MaukaHale  Email MaukaHale     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2015-02-28 9:22 pm   Permalink

Looks like one of those high end Trader Vic's
right in your own home, well done, sir.

View Profile of Atomic Tiki Punk Send a personal message to Atomic Tiki Punk      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
8FT Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2015-02-28 9:56 pm   Permalink

I like how you have kept plugging away at this. Learning from others but doing the work yourself. Lots of different projects and great solutions to specific areas. This is a really nice transformation. Keep it up!

View Profile of 8FT Tiki Send a personal message to 8FT Tiki  Email 8FT Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MaukaHale
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2015-03-02 06:55 am   Permalink

ATP, thank you for the high compliment. 8' TIKI, yes I have benefited from everyone on TC and grateful for what they have shared. Still more to come, its been a fun journey.

MaukaHale
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2015-04-03 5:40 pm   Permalink

Here are some picture of the new custom tables in the Aloha Theater and Tiki Bar. They were built by Monkeyman.

Originally I thought natural light would shine through the resin and cut bamboo but it didn't. Monkeyman suggested using a string of LED lights to light underneath. I bought LED puck lights and suspended them from nets underneath. That way the light would only shine up.

I measured the net size on top.

Using a stable gun, the net was attached to the inside walls. I also attached the on/off switch on the inside wall.

There are two tables and the switch controls both.

I really like my new table lights.

To see pictures of tables in the daylight go to:

http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?mode=viewtopic&topic=48742&forum=12&start=15

~ Adam Troy

Aloha Daddy
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2015-04-04 11:32 am   Permalink

You could start charging admission to see this! I agree that your place looks like a Trader Vic's or Don the Beachcomber! You continue to inspire me to do more and reach higher, thanks for the inspiring photos. I am building ceiling panels with your help, your workmanship is amazing. Keep up the great work! Aloha!

View Profile of Aloha Daddy Send a personal message to Aloha Daddy      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MaukaHale
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2015-04-04 9:43 pm   Permalink

Mahalo - Aloha Daddy,

I have found the journey is just as much fun as arriving at the destination! There are a lot of talented people on TC and I'm very thankful for all the ideas and knowledge they share.

If you are ever on my side of the island you're welcome to see my bar for no charge.

~ Adam Troy

nctrader
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2015-04-06 06:20 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2015-04-03 17:40, MaukaHale wrote:
Here are some picture of the new custom tables in the Aloha Theater and Tiki Bar. They were built by Monkeyman.

Originally I thought natural light would shine through the resin and cut bamboo but it didn't. Monkeyman suggested using a string of LED lights to light underneath. I bought LED puck lights and suspended them from nets underneath. That way the light would only shine up.

I measured the net size on top.

Using a stable gun, the net was attached to the inside walls. I also attached the on/off switch on the inside wall.

There are two tables and the switch controls both.

I really like my new table lights.

To see pictures of tables in the daylight go to:

http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?mode=viewtopic&topic=48742&forum=12&start=15

Fantastic, clever... gorgeous.

View Profile of nctrader Send a personal message to nctrader  Email nctrader Goto the website of nctrader     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MaukaHale
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2015-04-24 9:36 pm   Permalink

Here are a few new faces in the AT&TB:

I decided that this guys needs some more attention.

I'm going to put this tapa cloth behind him but I need to build a frame to hold the tapa.

I have a few other projects in the works as well.

~ Adam Troy

Aloha Daddy
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 30 days ago; 9:05 pm   Permalink

More awesome additions Mauka, I especially like the masks and how you spotlighted them. I also like the Disneyland artwork, I am a big fan and I also tend to use Tiki Room and Disneyland/Adventureland artwork whenever possible. The tall statue is really cool, nice to see you gave him his dignity back . Always look forward to seeing what you are working on, keep up the good work! Inspires the rest of us.

View Profile of Aloha Daddy Send a personal message to Aloha Daddy      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VampiressRN
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 29 days ago; 8:36 pm   Permalink

Just get's better and better. I agree looks very classy!!!

View Profile of VampiressRN Send a personal message to VampiressRN  Email VampiressRN Goto the website of VampiressRN     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MaukaHale
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 27 days ago; 8:39 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2015-04-29 21:05, Aloha Daddy wrote:
I also like the Disneyland artwork, I am a big fan and I also tend to use Tiki Room and Disneyland/Adventureland artwork whenever possible.

I didn't think I used many things from Disney in the home bar. But since you mentioned it I guess I do have a few items.

This next piece of Disney art is really unique. Most people wouldn't know what it is. I like to collect animation art and this is a model sheet from the Disney Studios. Its from the 1935 Mickey Mouse cartoon called "Mickey's Man Friday." Its a take off of the book, Robinson Crusoe. Since its supposed to take place on the island "Mas A Tierra" that's good enough for me. That's off the coast of Chile and its in the South Pacific.

Here's probably what most of you want to see. This is what I worked on today:

Its a sign that will be on the ceiling. It will be at the entrance to finish off the bamboo on the ceiling.

The sign is long so its hard to get a good picture of the whole thing. Its a 2 X 6 - 59" long. The reason for the thickness is so I can run two toggle bolts through it.

This is where it will go when its finished. I was going to carve the same thing on both sides, that way it will have Aloha for hello and good-bye. The wife said she would like to have a fish on the sign so that means a new template for the other side.

~ Adam Troy

[ This Message was edited by: MaukaHale 2015-05-02 20:41 ]

Thortiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 26 days ago; 05:20 am   Permalink

ENJOY watching the continued layering updates for your Tiki room

View Profile of Thortiki Send a personal message to Thortiki  Goto the website of Thortiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tikifrog
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 26 days ago; 07:41 am   Permalink

Inviting space. I like the details on the Aloha sign.

View Profile of Tikifrog Send a personal message to Tikifrog      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2015 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation