Tiki Central Forums Home Tiki Bars tiki bar authenticity
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
tiki bar authenticity
SuperEight
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-05-22 2:53 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2012-05-22 02:55, Bongo Bungalow wrote:
It IS worth what someone is willing to pay for it. Sometimes people don't understand that there are no sure retails for old stuff.

I really don't think most people on TC really think that the amateur appraisals of lowbrow collectibles on Tiki Central have the same level of scrutiny that say Christie's or Butterfields have when they put to price something. They are just looking for a ballpark average dollar figure of what something is trading for currently. People that collect stuff just tend to have these discussions and hold not ill will if some "off the top of the head" figure is off. When the inevitable "Its worth what some is willing to pay" comment arrives with no further explanation I am always left wondering if the person is trying to make the point that stuff can sell for variable prices in different circumstances, or do they have some objection to the discussion of what something is worth in dollars in our capitalist system? I just don't think it should raise anyone's ire that a person asked for an opinion of what something is selling for. But enough of this....back the to Witco bar.

View Profile of SuperEight Send a personal message to SuperEight  Email SuperEight     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
swizzle
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-05-23 02:03 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2012-05-22 14:53, SuperEight wrote:
I just don't think it should raise anyone's ire that a person asked for an opinion of what something is selling for.

But why shouldn't it when the very first post from a new member is a question literally asking how much money they can make off someone? The OP might have said that he has "been an in the closet fan of tiki stuff for a while now" yet how can that be proven? We can only take his word for it. It may be true, but how many times have we seen threads started before where the only post/s we see are someone asking for information about what something is worth and then the only other comments they leave are them trying to defend themselves?

I left a post on Facebook about the people who snap up limited edition mugs only to then put them up on eBay at inflated prices. I don't see this as any different. They are not collectors or fans of tiki culture, they have just somehow found a niche market/field/interest, happened to stumble across an item/s those who actually collect and have a genuine interest in, and because something is rare/limited/ hard to come by, thought "Hey, that's one of those Tiki bars/mugs/carvings/whatever things. I'm going to buy that and then re-sell it and make myself some money".

As i said, i can only go by the word of the OP and if i'm wrong, i apologise in advance. However, i have a pretty good feeling we wont see too many posts from him/her again, only to defend themselves and/or attack me.

[ This Message was edited by: swizzle 2012-05-23 02:13 ]

View Profile of swizzle Send a personal message to swizzle  Email swizzle     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-05-23 1:48 pm   Permalink

Why would it be called a TIKI Bar if there is no Tiki on it, or on the bar stools? This bar is as Tiki as this mug:

[ This Message was edited by: bigbrotiki 2012-05-23 13:49 ]

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-05-23 4:33 pm   Permalink

Good point Sven, Not all "Bars" are "Tiki Bars" Witco or otherwise.

View Profile of Atomic Tiki Punk Send a personal message to Atomic Tiki Punk      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
gold zephyr
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2012-05-23 11:00 pm   Permalink

Thanks for the chuckle big bro. I am sometimes tempted to respond to ads for tiki items that are not realy tiki, just tell them it's not even close. I guess it's common place these days.

View Profile of gold zephyr Send a personal message to gold zephyr      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
forgotten tikiman
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-07-07 4:20 pm   Permalink

Sven. You always make excellent points. Some of us tend to call something Tiki just because its carved and such when there is no actual Tiki. I tend to do that from timt to time without thinking about it. I will always keep this in mind now.

View Profile of forgotten tikiman Send a personal message to forgotten tikiman  Email forgotten tikiman     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Fish Canoe

Posted: 2012-07-07 7:10 pm   Permalink

Can I ask here and now, what is the deal with witco, that is to say, what is it and why do people care about it? Is it carved or burnt, and what is the origin? I guess that despite the fact that is is not red, it seems a bit like New Zealand long house art (are they called long houses?) So I asked a bunch of questions, I'll answer one now. The bar is only worth something if it elevates the bartenders talent for producing delicious drinks, and gives their guests a cozy sense of belonging in an exotic setting. As you can tell I don't get witco, but I feel that the most straight forward orchid of japan mug is worth more than the bar pictured. I'm sorry if you love it, and if you do then slice up some limes and love it, and your guests will love it too, even I would if you offered me a drink from behind it.

View Profile of Fish Canoe Send a personal message to Fish Canoe      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation