[Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki Tiki Pinstriping
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
Tiki Pinstriping
TikiVato
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-05-22 11:14 am   Permalink

My son referred me to an artist (Mike Tippetts) to do some pinstriping for my truck. I was a little hesitant about having someone painting on my brand new truck until I met him.
Mike is an old school artist that grew up in Lakewood California.

In 1958/1959, his father took him to see Kenny Howard (AKA:Von Dutch) and watched Von Dutch pinstripe a car. He was hooked and he drew pinstriping designs , cars and surfers on brown paper book covers for other students in Junior High for a nickel a cover.

Mike went on to study art at Cal State Long Beach. After pursuing other careers, Mike came back to his first love, Pinstriping. Mike has always worked mobile and never had a shop. Must be from his early years of the surfing lifestyle. He has been married for 38 years and has raised five kids on pinstriping. He does not ever plan to stop pinstriping and hopes to die with a brush in his hand.

I told Mike I wanted some simple lines on the sides of the truck and a tiki on the tailgate and another on the hood. Here's some work in progress shots. I will post some pictures of the completed work later in the day when he's done.

TikiVato

[ This Message was edited by: TikiVato 2012-05-22 11:37 ]

View Profile of TikiVato Send a personal message to TikiVato  Email TikiVato     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiVato
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-05-22 12:27 pm   Permalink

Finishing touches of tailgate

Hood Pinstriping

TikiVato

View Profile of TikiVato Send a personal message to TikiVato  Email TikiVato     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-05-22 1:39 pm   Permalink

Sweet! Old school, classic free-hand pin precision. Neat!

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
CarvingBike
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2012-05-22 4:56 pm   Permalink

It looks great!

View Profile of CarvingBike Send a personal message to CarvingBike  Goto the website of CarvingBike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
forgotten tikiman
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-05-22 10:19 pm   Permalink

Hey TikiVato. Mike does some killer work. Nice lines on the truck and a cool tiki. Wanted to share this with you. I got this panel done by a guy named Eric Eggie Foust. His buisness is Mindless Pinstriping and hes out of sacramento. He has some of the best stripe work I've ever seen. He did this kustom panel for me.

View Profile of forgotten tikiman Send a personal message to forgotten tikiman  Email forgotten tikiman     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiVato
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-05-22 10:34 pm   Permalink

Wow, nice work by Eric. This was Mike's first tab at Tiki pinstriping. As a kid, Mike grew up carving tikis from palm tree fonds and surfing southern California. He still has some of his first surfboards. He remembers his grandparents going to Hawaii in the 50's and bringing the family back some silk Hawaiian shirts. I showed Mike my home Tiki Bar and my mug collection. I asked Mike to browse this site with hopes to convert him to a Tikiphile.

TikiVato

Polynesiac
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2012-05-23 07:30 am   Permalink

WOW - he did a beautiful job on your truck! (and...REALLY nice Chevy!!!!)

View Profile of Polynesiac Send a personal message to Polynesiac  Email Polynesiac Goto the website of Polynesiac     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
the75stingray
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-05-23 5:37 pm   Permalink

Very cool!

View Profile of the75stingray Send a personal message to the75stingray      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
sneakyjack
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-05-24 3:26 pm   Permalink

awesome - cool stuff and nice look.
I wish he was near me in NYC area I wanted to grab some lines on my VW BUS.

View Profile of sneakyjack Send a personal message to sneakyjack      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pbmonkey98902

Posted: 2012-05-25 07:04 am   Permalink

I agree Eric Foust does fantastic work

One of my favorite Pinstripers hails from Japan his name is Makoto

View Profile of pbmonkey98902 Send a personal message to pbmonkey98902      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Wildsville man
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-05-25 7:55 pm   Permalink

Don't forget the one and only Sam Gambino........

This guy is a second generation pin striper..........

http://tiki-caliente.com/info/?cat=12

View Profile of Wildsville man Send a personal message to Wildsville man  Email Wildsville man Goto the website of Wildsville man     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
The Blue Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-05-25 7:59 pm   Permalink

Odelay essay . . . nice, nice, nice! Our point man with the brush in NorCal is Steve Fernandes, you all is covered though!

View Profile of The Blue Kahuna Send a personal message to The Blue Kahuna      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiVato
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-04-15 7:23 pm   Permalink

In January 2014 I purchased the new model Silverado. I retained the services of airbrush artist Rick Munoz from Monterey Park, California. I gave him a very rough draft of what I wanted airbrushed on my tailgate. Here's Rick's work:

I then recontacted Mike Tippets who pinstriped my 2012 pick up. Here's what he did.
Mike sketched what I wanted on my hood:

He chalked the sketch on the hood:

Mike paints the sketch:

More pinstriping:

SandraDee
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-04-15 7:47 pm   Permalink

Awesome!

I am not sure how I missed this thread back when you first posted but I am glad you updated it.

Love that tailgate!

View Profile of SandraDee Send a personal message to SandraDee      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
swizzle
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-04-15 8:27 pm   Permalink

Very nice my friend. I look forward to seeing it in person.

View Profile of swizzle Send a personal message to swizzle  Email swizzle     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation