FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food What is your Holy Grail of Booze that you want to buy, or at least try
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
What is your Holy Grail of Booze that you want to buy, or at least try
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-05-30 09:49 am   Permalink

Wray & Nephew 3 Dagger Rum Punch.

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
harro
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-05-30 1:07 pm   Permalink

After living in the UK for a few years and travelling to the US several times and therefore having easy access to all sorts of rums, I'm now dying down here in Aust where the rum variety is disastrous and the cost of anything imported is staggering.

How I long for:

An agricole for mai tais
A Demerara at <$100
A decent Haitian, Dominican or Barbados
Some of the harder to find liqueurs, mixers etc

If any Aussies can give me a heads up I'd be grateful.

View Profile of harro Send a personal message to harro  Email harro     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
harro
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-05-30 1:11 pm   Permalink

After living in the UK for a few years and travelling to the US several times and therefore having easy access to all sorts of rums, I'm now dying down here in Aust where the rum variety is disastrous and the cost of anything imported is staggering.

How I long for:

An agricole for mai tais
A Demerara at <$100
A decent Haitian, Dominican or Barbados
Some of the harder to find liqueurs, mixers etc

View Profile of harro Send a personal message to harro  Email harro     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pablus
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-05-30 2:21 pm   Permalink

I've actually tasted real okolehao, mahalo to Swanky. But I want more.

[ This Message was edited by: pablus 2012-05-30 14:22 ]

View Profile of pablus Send a personal message to pablus  Email pablus Goto the website of pablus     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Iscah
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2012-05-30 2:27 pm   Permalink

My partner picked up a bottle of okolehao from HiTimes when she was out in California visiting family and friends earlier this year. I couldn't believe they had it. And actually, now I think about it, HiTimes will ship, provided it's legal in your state. There's a link on their front page with a list of places they can ship to. Try hitimewine.net.

View Profile of Iscah Send a personal message to Iscah      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
swizzle
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-05-31 01:42 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2012-05-30 13:11, harro wrote:
I'm now dying down here in Aust where the rum variety is disastrous and the cost of anything imported is staggering.

harro, what state are you in? Your comment above about cost i think is probably the biggest issue.

Shoot me a P.M. and i'll give you my suggestions.

P.S. If you can find it, as it is available here in Aus, i personally think 10 CANE makes a great substitute for an agricole and makes a great Mai Tai with an amber/gold rum like any of the Appletons for example.

View Profile of swizzle Send a personal message to swizzle  Email swizzle     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
SuperEight
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-05-31 02:42 am   Permalink

I'm dying to try real, honest to goodness Okolehao. I have a vintage bottle of the Okolehao that was sold to tourists in the 1970's and earlier (brandy infused with Ti root), and I can get the Maui Distillers Okolehao liqueur. But what I want is the old moonshine. Kauai had what was known as the Okolehao Trail and I asked my dad what he knew about this shine since he grew up there. I was bowled over when he casually told me, "Oh yea, the guy across the street used to make it". I wonder if anyone is still distilling batches of the stuff.

View Profile of SuperEight Send a personal message to SuperEight  Email SuperEight     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-05-31 09:27 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2012-05-30 14:27, Iscah wrote:
My partner picked up a bottle of okolehao from HiTimes when she was out in California visiting family and friends earlier this year. I couldn't believe they had it. And actually, now I think about it, HiTimes will ship, provided it's legal in your state. There's a link on their front page with a list of places they can ship to. Try hitimewine.net.

The Maui Dsitiller's Oke is a far distant taste to what I have. I have a variety of them bottled in the 60s and 70s. I missed the chance to taste the 19th century bottle at Smuggler's Cove. If there is a true one to taste, that is it. But I must say the old stuff I have is exquisite!

I have a vintage ceramic jug of Appleton 20YO. I imagine that when that rum was first made and started life, my parents were young! And it has the distinctive Appleton taste.

I much prefer the less aged for sipping. I find aged rums have a harsh bite. But, I get this stuff out and sip regualrly too. Need to try a Mai-Tai with it and some St. James H'ors D'Age.

Announcing Swank Pad and Crazy Al's Molokai Maiden!

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Iscah
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2012-05-31 12:18 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2012-05-31 09:27, Swanky wrote:

The Maui Dsitiller's Oke is a far distant taste to what I have. I have a variety of them bottled in the 60s and 70s. I missed the chance to taste the 19th century bottle at Smuggler's Cove. If there is a true one to taste, that is it. But I must say the old stuff I have is exquisite!

I'm not surprised that the Maui Distiller's Oke would bear little resemblance to older stuff. I cracked it open last night and it reminded me more of an herbal brandy than anything else, very sweet. I wish I had the option to get to Smuggler's Cove without flying cross country. =(

View Profile of Iscah Send a personal message to Iscah      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigtikidude
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-05-31 12:26 pm   Permalink

In reply to those who say they don't like older rums for sipping.
to each his own.

I know that there is a cost to age ratio, but I think the reason that any booze
that is aged in varying amounts of years, is that the taste gets better with age.
YMMV of course.

I really like the older/darker rums,
and while I am not opposed to mixing with the more expensive rums,
I think that most wouldn't use a El Dorado 21 to mix with,
that its more intended for sipping.

Jeff(btd)

View Profile of bigtikidude Send a personal message to bigtikidude  Email bigtikidude     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-05-31 12:54 pm   Permalink

You mean I should not use my El Dorado 21 in my Rum & Cokes?
Oh Nooooooo!

View Profile of Atomic Tiki Punk Send a personal message to Atomic Tiki Punk      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigtikidude
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-05-31 2:00 pm   Permalink

only if you want Really Good Rum n Cokes,
and I suggest that you use only real sugar cokes,
from Mexico in Glass bottles.

Jeff(btd)

View Profile of bigtikidude Send a personal message to bigtikidude  Email bigtikidude     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TIKIWAGON
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2012-06-05 06:06 am   Permalink

I quite often use the whisky exchange, They have an amazing selection but the most difficult rum to get seems to be St James Hors d'Age, Cant find it over here at all normally,I tried those mexican sugar cokes on our last US trip and they are so different to the normal stuff

View Profile of TIKIWAGON Send a personal message to TIKIWAGON  Email TIKIWAGON Goto the website of TIKIWAGON     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation