FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » General Tiki » » Tiki History - Heddy's Hawaiian Bamboo Room - Echo Lake, PA
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
Tiki History - Heddy's Hawaiian Bamboo Room - Echo Lake, PA
Sabu The Coconut Boy
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2003-06-18 12:39 pm   Permalink

This week, puamana's and my collections coincide on a mysterious tiki bar in Pennsylvania. There is no mention of Heddy's Hawaiian Bamboo Room and Tropical Bar in Tiki Road Trip and there is extremely little information on the back of my postcards, yet they are two of the most nicely presented postcard images in my collection. They depict a sleek, vinyl-upholstered tiki bar with large fake palm trees that are mirrored in the very nice murals on the walls. Here are the postcards:

Looks like there's a small dance floor and bandstand presided over by a very frightening tiki.

Does anyone recognize this mug? Could it be unique to this restaurant, or do you think it's a standard manufactured piece?

The reason I ask is that there appear to be the trunks of two palm trees on the mug, which seem to match the palm trees in the mural and the restaurant itself.

The back of the postcards simply read: "Heddy's Hawaiian Bamboo Room Tropical Bar. Echo Lake, PA, RT-209. The Place That's Different. Wine - Dine - Dance"

Puamana should be providing photos of her menu soon.

Sabu

[ This Message was edited by: Sabu The Coconut Boy on 2003-06-18 12:40 ]

View Profile of Sabu The Coconut Boy Send a personal message to Sabu The Coconut Boy  Email Sabu The Coconut Boy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
puamana
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-06-18 1:15 pm   Permalink

The following menu lists Heddy's address on Route 209, "7 miles north of the Stroudsburgs":

Heddy's was located in the Pocono Mountains, an outdoor recreational destination (with lots of skiing in the winter, and several lakes in the area for summertime visitors ), I believe around 90 minutes from NYC. Those postcards show quite alot more indication of what the Hawaiian Room was like than the menu. Great murals around the dining room & dance floor !

View Profile of puamana Send a personal message to puamana      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thejab
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2003-06-18 1:20 pm   Permalink

I found this listing under bars in Yahoo Yellow Pages:

Bamboo House
Route 209, East Stroudsburg, PA 18301
Phone: (570) 424-2460

Echo Lake shows on the map near East Stroudsburg so it may be the same place! Urban archeologists start your engines!

View Profile of thejab Send a personal message to thejab  Goto the website of thejab     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
puamana
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-06-18 1:28 pm   Permalink

thejab,

Great find ! It has to be the same place. Here's an ad I just found on an online directory for Poconos area restaurants:

Bamboo House - U.S. Hwy. 209 Bus., East Stroudsburg  424-2460

" This traditional Chinese restaurant has a variety of Szechuan, Hunan, Cantonese and traditional Chinese favorites. It also offers an American selection of steaks for those in your party who are not inclined to Chinese, and a children's menu that is more American in choices, including hamburgers. It has two dining rooms decorated in an Oriental motif. "

Sounds like the same dining rooms pictured in Sabu's postcards.

[ This Message was edited by: puamana on 2003-06-18 13:39 ]

View Profile of puamana Send a personal message to puamana      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
boonswang

Posted: 2008-06-28 1:29 pm   Permalink

Hi:
My cousin had her wedding at this bar in the 1970's. I was about 15 or so, but I remember it vividly because it made such an impression on me! It was great seeing your postcards on here! I live about an hour from where this place was. There was also another place my father used to take me swimming - it was in the same area. It was called Vacation Valley, Echo Lake, PA. It is under another name now, that of which I cannot recall at the moment.
I just came across this site by accident, but glad I found it!

View Profile of boonswang Send a personal message to boonswang  Email boonswang     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-12-17 11:09 am   Permalink

This has always been one of my favorite interior postcards.

Look what I picked up the other day, a postcard of the exterior! Now we know where the illustration on the back of the card comes from, it is the cool sign out front.

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-01-23 5:19 pm   Permalink

Hey look, I found a matchbook from Heddy's. Same sign as the postcard.

DC

[ This Message was edited by: dustycajun 2009-01-23 17:41 ]

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-08-18 4:41 pm   Permalink

I picked up the two postcards from the inside of Heddy's Bamboo Room and thought I would do a little updating of the Red Xs that Sabu originally posted.

Also the sign on the back of the card.

DC

Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-08-19 09:18 am   Permalink

Man, if that doesn't make you put the car into a skid and pull over I don't know what will!

A little new Googling reveals the
"Bamboo House Sushi"

Wait, after binging it: That little peaked roof line sure look slike it. Right across from 2 vintage looking motels.

Your key to Beachbum Berry's books. Login and start concocting!

[ This Message was edited by: Swanky 2009-08-19 09:23 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Swanky 2009-08-19 09:29 ]

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-01-24 11:37 am   Permalink

Finally, a menu surfaced from Heddy's Bamboo Room on ebay!

They had all of the classic mugs in play.

DC

Zeta
Grand Member (2 years)  

Posted: 2010-01-24 11:53 am   Permalink

Cool! I have never seen a picture of a cocktail with one of those mini lamps like the one on the menu drawing for the Dr. Funk folly. Who can show me one?

View Profile of Zeta Send a personal message to Zeta  Goto the website of Zeta     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-01-24 12:03 pm   Permalink

..from Mimi's site. I know, these are too cool. Has any body ever found any of these? They must have been discontinued a long time ago, I have never come across any, only those double umbrellas picks.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-01-24 12:13 pm   Permalink

Hey, I just noticed above, they also used the Reader's Digest cover for their mural:

http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=1099&forum=5&vpost=432142

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
exquisitecorpse
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-01-24 12:31 pm   Permalink

Sorry; you are mistaken.
I grew up in the Poconos; and you have the wrong location. Echo lake is further to the northeast on 209.
Google maps also has the location of the Bamboo House wrong; it is 300ft to the east where Mt. Tom Rd rejoins 209.
I have been going to the Bamboo House since it opened 20 years or so ago. It is not very tiki; but does have excellent Chinese food.

This is Echo Lake

Quote:

On 2009-08-19 09:18, Swanky wrote:

Man, if that doesn't make you put the car into a skid and pull over I don't know what will!

A little new Googling reveals the "Bamboo House Sushi"

Wait, after binging it: That little peaked roof line sure look slike it. Right across from 2 vintage looking motels.

View Profile of exquisitecorpse Send a personal message to exquisitecorpse  Goto the website of exquisitecorpse     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-01-25 09:51 am   Permalink

Wish I could read the discription of the Aloha Orgy...

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation