FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Home Tiki Bars The Best and Worst thing I did to my Tiki space, Via Tikiskip, Check here before you build.
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
The Best and Worst thing I did to my Tiki space, Via Tikiskip, Check here before you build.
tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2012-05-25 7:43 pm   Permalink

Thought it might be good to have a thread that tells people that want to build
a home Tiki bar or garden space ECT... to have a place to go to find the ideas that worked,
and better yet the ones that did not work.
More and more people are building home bars from the ground up.
This gives you a huge advatage if you know all the things you need and want and well just make
it a better place to party in.
I will start with this one.
In the Midwest (Ohio) Bamboo, rope and wood rots.
Winter and the rain we get here messes with everything.
I put this up and one year later it rotted to nothing I even put shellac on the rope and cork.
Heck the dam Squirrels even ate the cork and rope maybe they like shellac.
This is before.

And this is one year later.

[ This Message was edited by: tikiskip 2013-12-08 06:28 ]

View Profile of tikiskip Send a personal message to tikiskip      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2012-05-25 8:18 pm   Permalink

I thought I made a mistake once but I was wrong.

Great idea for a thread TikiSkip! I wish I had burned and varnished the lumber in my deck instead of painting it "redwood". It would be pretty much impossible to go back and do that now.

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Slacks Ferret
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-05-26 10:07 am   Permalink

The best thing I did was I sketched hundreds, if not thousands, of drawings of my tiki room and bar before I did anything.

I ended up only using about 30% of the ideas I sketched. I should post those drawings sometime...they can get pretty fanciful.

View Profile of Slacks Ferret Send a personal message to Slacks Ferret  Email Slacks Ferret     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Masher88
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2012-05-26 10:07 am   Permalink

I agree with Tikiskip. As someone who has a backyard tiki patio...the midwest winters (Cleveland) are BRUTAL on everything "tiki". I have to dismantle the patio when winter comes. No amount of sealer or shellac keeps things from rotting. I'm in the middle of adding onto the house so I can move the tiki bar inside. If you plan on outdoor tiki living...be prepared for the sun and rain to really take its toll.

View Profile of Masher88 Send a personal message to Masher88      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-05-29 09:57 am   Permalink

I built a sub-floor over concrete. I should have put a vapor barrier down under the wood, and I should have put in venting to get air flow. I was able to get back under and put in vents witha large Forstner bit and then put in a small fan, but there is mold and mildew in there that will be there forever. It is just hopefully not growing now.

But that is what happens when you buidl yourself. A contractor would have done things more "right".

I also have tried a variety of under bar lights. We started with a rope light and those little plastic clips. Those break easily and are a pain to begin with. Plus the rope light gets hot and it is big. You can see it hanging under the bar. I was wanting ambient light, not to see the rope. When they are on and heat up, they sag even more. Later we discovered an LED system that you can change the color and brightness. It is super thin. And you can buy it in pieces to make as long as you want. But the glue will not last. We ended up super gluing them onto veldro and using the velcor to attach to the bar. That also allows us to replace a pice if it goes south.

We also put the edge on the bar so that it makes a little lip. We imagined we wanted to trap stuff on the bar top. Wrong! you want to be able to wipe off into the floor or your hand or whatever. Make that trim edge flush or lower for best clean-up.

Announcing Swank Pad and Crazy Al's Molokai Maiden!

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
LoriLovesTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-05-29 10:55 am   Permalink

What a great idea for a thread! Since I'm in the middle of my build I'm anxiously awaiting all the replies. Keep em coming!!!!

The only thing I've found out so far is you can't have enough tiki stuff or bamboo. If you see something you like, buy it. You'll find a place for it later. And nothing's going to be perfect so try to relax on your perfectionism. (that's really hard for me. I tend to second guess myself a lot.)

View Profile of LoriLovesTiki Send a personal message to LoriLovesTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-05-29 11:19 am   Permalink

Use LED lighting when ever possible, low heat, easy on the electric bill
& comes in all sorts of colors.

Only use glue,varnish & sealers rated for indoor use or you can get sick!!!

a "level" is you best building buddy, use one.

View Profile of Atomic Tiki Punk Send a personal message to Atomic Tiki Punk      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2012-05-29 3:09 pm   Permalink

Good post Swanky.
"But that is what happens when you buidl yourself. A contractor would have done things more "right""
Don't forget about youtube sure they have all the stupid s#$! on there but they also have lots
of how toos.
I would bet they got one on putting in a floor.
Like this.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cFyb1VrlelQ&feature=related

"The only thing I've found out so far is you can't have enough tiki stuff or bamboo"
That is true kinda, most old time tiki nuts have sooo much stuff the room is too packed or they
have stuff in boxes.
Now if you find really good stuff like from the Kahiki you do need to buy.
But then that is way my house is a mess really I bet I have 50 or more lights not lit sitting around.
So I guess I would say buy the good stuff, wait and pay more for the better items, most of the time
those types of things will be worth close to if not more than you paid for them in the first place.

[ This Message was edited by: tikiskip 2012-05-29 16:12 ]

View Profile of tikiskip Send a personal message to tikiskip      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2012-05-29 3:37 pm   Permalink

Now for some good stuff.
I made these.
And the older they get the better I think.
I used nylon rope on the top of these it will not rot.
You can find fancy nylon rope at a good marine,boat store.

Go to flea markets and antique shows even get photos on line via ebay
so you can see different styles of bouys then make them yourself.
(Photo below from antique store)

tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2012-05-30 06:17 am   Permalink

For your home tiki bar you will need LOTS of shelving.
Make what you think is way too much shelves then make more.
You will need space for your Booze, mugs, other tiki stuff.
And maybe a book or two.
Plus if you like to make many different tiki drinks, well you will
have a ton of bottles. (I have 174 at this time)

Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-05-30 08:27 am   Permalink

We hoarded for years before build out. A lot of what we bought was close-out and discounted stuff from stores like Target, Home Goods, TJ Maxx, etc. They all have stuff like placemats, plate chargers and all sorts of stuff made with tropical mattings and natural fiber stuff. And then you start re-purposing it:

The squares behind the masks are actually plate chargers from Target bought super cheap. The other side is natural colored and like a very fine lauhala. The material behind that is a drop cloth that we "tea stained" to age. We later found that using coffee and the tea bags themselves was best for the heavy cloth.

Even much maligned Party City has table runners and other stuff cheap that can be repurposed later.

Then we built the bar and sold off and tossed a giant mess of stuff that was not needed! But, I can't get rid of it all. Never know what you'll build next!

Mai-Kai Memories Series Custom ceramic mugs!

[ This Message was edited by: Swanky 2012-05-30 08:30 ]

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Q-tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-06-01 12:09 pm   Permalink

I've had the great pleasure of visiting Mr. and Mrs. Swanky's Hideaway and I can tell you that it is top notch!! I would have never guessed those items were created in that manner.
It seems like some of the best looking home bars have lot's of inexpensive and/or repurposed items that have been used creatively. I am currently in hoarding mode...

GREAT thread idea!!

View Profile of Q-tiki Send a personal message to Q-tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
harro
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-06-01 9:14 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2012-06-01 12:09, Q-tiki wrote:

GREAT thread idea!!

Yup indeed, keep the tips coming!
Know that you're helping a brother out.

View Profile of harro Send a personal message to harro  Email harro     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
harro
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-06-01 9:14 pm   Permalink

Dam double post again

[ This Message was edited by: harro 2012-06-03 10:12 ]

View Profile of harro Send a personal message to harro  Email harro     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VampiressRN
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2012-06-02 4:45 pm   Permalink

Nice Nice Nice...I better add to my bottle collection...obviously I am not up to par. Great info!

My sharing is not much cause I can't do any building myself, but I can shop, so buy what YOU like and put it WHERE YOU WANT. I have taken a lot of hits on hanging my Tiki bike from the ceiling, but I like it and once I hang a bunch of other crap up there it will blend in. Always look through pictures on this board for ideas...it is the most wonderful resource. If you have the opportunity to run plumbing and install a sink go for it...I wish I had that in my bar area. I also wish I had more bar space, so if you have the room...go big! Support the fabulous Tiki artists on TC...it fills your lounge with love. Good lighting and sound system and TIKIS!!!

[ This Message was edited by: VampiressRN 2012-06-02 18:18 ]

View Profile of VampiressRN Send a personal message to VampiressRN  Email VampiressRN Goto the website of VampiressRN     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation