FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Home Tiki Bars The Best and Worst thing I did to my Tiki space, Via Tikiskip, Check here before you build.
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
The Best and Worst thing I did to my Tiki space, Via Tikiskip, Check here before you build.
hang10tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-06-02 7:54 pm   Permalink

skip-
174 bottles
im on my way over, start mixin

View Profile of hang10tiki Send a personal message to hang10tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pappythesailor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-06-07 12:54 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2012-05-30 06:17, tikiskip wrote:
For your home tiki bar you will need LOTS of shelving.
Make what you think is way too much shelves then make more.
You will need space for your Booze, mugs, other tiki stuff.
And maybe a book or two.

I have to disagree for two reasons. 1. I don't have a single shelf in Bora Bora Basement--this is strictly a matter of taste. and 2. If you find you need one, you can add a shelf later.

Now electrical outlets--THAT's something you want lots of.

View Profile of pappythesailor Send a personal message to pappythesailor  Goto the website of pappythesailor     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Big Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-06-07 6:09 pm   Permalink

I ran outlets, in my ceiling, all around the perimeter, operated by wall switches. Best thing I ever did.

View Profile of Big Kahuna Send a personal message to Big Kahuna  Email Big Kahuna     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2012-06-07 8:17 pm   Permalink

" I don't have a single shelf in Bora Bora Basement"
Where do you store your booze, glasses, ECT?

View Profile of tikiskip Send a personal message to tikiskip      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-06-08 07:10 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2012-06-07 18:09, Big Kahuna wrote:
I ran outlets, in my ceiling, all around the perimeter, operated by wall switches. Best thing I ever did.

Agreed. I put a 4-gang outlet in the ceiling on a switch behind the bar. I then ended up running a black extension cord over to the wall and to a black power strip to get more stuff on that switch. Nothing there is over 15 watts. You can also daisy chain power strips if needed and plug one into another.

I have a power strip mounted under the bar and between these 2 switches, nearly everything comes on. The Home Theater is plugged direct.

I still have to go around and hit one switch for the mug shelf and a few more. It is still about 6-8 things to turn on to get the bar going, but it is getting to be less and less. I try to put them on a single switch anywhere possible.

Announcing Swank Pad and Crazy Al's Molokai Maiden!

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
markmywords
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2012-06-08 09:02 am   Permalink

Quote:

I still have to go around and hit one switch for the mug shelf and a few more. It is still about 6-8 things to turn on to get the bar going, but it is getting to be less and less. I try to put them on a single switch anywhere possible.

One of the best (and simple) things I put in my room were the remote power controllers. They were cheap and just plug in between the outlet and the lights/effects/whatever. I think it was $20 for a set of two. I can control 6 outlets with the remote.

I wish I had outlets in the ceiling. At the same time, given that my ceiling is covered with reed, I'd probably be nervous if there was an outlet up there...

View Profile of markmywords Send a personal message to markmywords      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2012-06-08 09:10 am   Permalink

Yes outlets are needed in your tiki bar.
One thing I found is a plug you can add to a cord
wherever you want, will try to post photo of one.
Don't know if they make these anymore.

And Pappy just saw your bar on TC, I've never seen one so neat.
Nice job.
http://tikiroom.com/img/3487x4c852925.jpg

Most tiki hoarders like me have sooo much crap everywhere it kinda
messes up the space.

View Profile of tikiskip Send a personal message to tikiskip      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
teamtom
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2012-06-08 09:43 am   Permalink

My lessons from 10 years of maintaining a "private" tiki bar in the summer:

Once I used fresh bamboo and will never make that mistake again. It split up and fell apart in 1 year. Same with bamboo / grass matting on vertical surfaces, with a wet season, it gets black and rots. Smells bad too.

Thatch is as good as your last hurricane season. I am looking at fake thatch now due to picking up 100 lbs of it out of the yard every spring. I currently have a recycled metal roof and love it for the zero maintenance.

Make the roof big enough so people can still sit at the bar if it's raining, and you can still make drinks without water dripping down your back.

I have to agree with shelving. My third version will have a lot more exposed shelving behind the bartender (me) to show off the rum and mugs.

Ice melts. I go through $30+ of ice on a good night. I need more fridge space at the bar to keep beer, juice, wine cold and that way gearing up and shutting down each time doesn't mean a lot of trips to the basement / garage fridges.

People bring you tiki stuff, all the time, a lot of it.

I hate paying shipping but I also hate driving. It evens out most times.

Just my $.02

Tom

[ This Message was edited by: teamtom 2012-06-08 09:44 ]

View Profile of teamtom Send a personal message to teamtom      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
freddiefreelance
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-06-08 10:41 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2012-06-08 09:02, markmywords wrote:
Quote:

One of the best (and simple) things I put in my room were the remote power controllers. They were cheap and just plug in between the outlet and the lights/effects/whatever. I think it was $20 for a set of two. I can control 6 outlets with the remote.

I wish I had outlets in the ceiling. At the same time, given that my ceiling is covered with reed, I'd probably be nervous if there was an outlet up there...

X10 controllers?

View Profile of freddiefreelance Send a personal message to freddiefreelance      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thomamas
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2012-06-08 5:20 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2012-06-08 10:41, freddiefreelance wrote:
X10 controllers?

Have a look at
http://www.digital-loggers.com/lpc.html -- eight independently controlled outlets, Ethernet, scriptable, at $129.

I made a web page so I can control my bar lighting from my phone. I'll add more complicated mood settings someday, like a button to play Les Baxter and turn on only the puffer fish lights...

View Profile of thomamas Send a personal message to thomamas      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2012-06-11 12:12 pm   Permalink

I love those light controllers!
Some great tips being added.

Here's a new one.
You know those Yucca plants. (See first photo)
I always thought I could use the stalks to make tiki lights with.
So I have been saving these for many years.
This is what I came up with for now, not a light but still cool.
Hold stalks together with zip ties.
Then cover with twine.
Done, took me 20 minutes
And heck these things are free!

tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2012-06-11 12:16 pm   Permalink

Here is a photo of the outlets you can add to a cord at any place you want.
Now you could not put a heavy load on these but a small watt light should be ok.
Just clamp down on cord and two prongs make connection.

Leviton Snap-In Receptacles

1306 - Snap-In Panel Mount Receptacle Commercial Grade 1-15R 15A 125V - Black More...
15 Amp, 125 Volt, NEMA 1-15R, 2P, 2W, Snap-In Receptacle, Straight Blade, Non-Grounding, Leads 14GA 6 Inch Long Wired - Black, UPC: 07847716840

[ This Message was edited by: tikiskip 2012-06-12 07:15 ]

markmywords
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2012-06-11 3:45 pm   Permalink

Quote:

X10 controllers?

Nah, not that complicated. Like this:
http://tinyurl.com/7t5wvy5

Mine is the 6 outlet version.

View Profile of markmywords Send a personal message to markmywords      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
harro
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-06-12 06:52 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2012-06-11 12:16, tikiskip wrote:
Here is a photo of the outlets you can add to a cord at any place you want.
Now you could not put a heavy load on these but a small watt light should be ok.
Just clamp down on cord and two prongs make connection.

what do you call those things? not sure if they sell them down here. very handy.

View Profile of harro Send a personal message to harro  Email harro     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2012-06-12 07:14 am   Permalink

Looks like they changed a bit.
But these are them.
http://www.onestopbuy.com/Leviton-Snap-In-Receptacles-59069.asp

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation