FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Home Tiki Bars The Best and Worst thing I did to my Tiki space, Via Tikiskip, Check here before you build.
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
The Best and Worst thing I did to my Tiki space, Via Tikiskip, Check here before you build.
WestADad
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2012-06-12 07:32 am   Permalink

This looks like it may work too, but I can't find any online.

http://electrical.hardwarestore.com/12-34-cord-ends-female-110v/brown-add-an-outlet-231993.aspx

View Profile of WestADad Send a personal message to WestADad  Email WestADad     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2012-06-12 07:46 am   Permalink

Yes thats it.
Here's more that I found.
http://www.avillahardware.com/storefrontprofiles/DeluxeSFItemDetail.aspx?sid=1&sfid=143264&c=762248&i=254595312

Eagle Snap-On Triple Outlet BP2602W

10A 125V White Quick Attach Cord End Triple Outlet

Residential Grade

NEMA 1-15R

High Impact Resistant Thermoplastic Construction

For Cord Size 18-2 SPT-1

Insulation Piercing Terminals

Cube Tap

Made In USA

And one more.
http://www.christmaslightsetc.com/p/White-Snap-On-Female-Outlet--17969.htm?source=Shopping

White Snap-On Female Outlet
Product ID: 17969 - Sold out for season
Our Price:

Description:

White Snap-On Outlet for an Electrical Extention Lead
Use only Flat #18-2 SPT-1 Cord
Do not use electric shaver cord (TPT) or on any device rated over 1250 watts (10 amps and 125 volts)
Use only with 2-wire, non-polarized plug

But you get the idea, you can find these on line.
I found mine at a local store that carrys weird electrical stuff.

[ This Message was edited by: tikiskip 2012-06-12 07:51 ]

View Profile of tikiskip Send a personal message to tikiskip      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
LoriLovesTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-06-12 5:56 pm   Permalink

WestADad & tikiskip -

thanks for all those links! I've been trying to figure out how everyone lights a zillion floats, mini lights, lanterns, etc without having eight million outlets in their tiki space and how everything gets lit up. Great ideas/solutions.

You solved a big mystery for me. Keep the ideas coming, you are helping so much!

View Profile of LoriLovesTiki Send a personal message to LoriLovesTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bonj
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2012-06-12 7:01 pm   Permalink

Quote:

what do you call those things? not sure if they sell them down here. very handy.

I doubt you'll find those in AU. They aren't compatible with our power point style and you need a license here to do electrical work. Better off with low voltage (12V) alternatives if you want to string your own.

View Profile of Bonj Send a personal message to Bonj      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2012-06-25 09:22 am   Permalink

So here's a new one.
Some of the best things you can add to your tiki space is the nautical stuff
you know the ships wheels, port hole windows.
You can even use those boat rope tie down things (I think they may be called cleats?)
as door handles or towel racks ect...
I was lucky to get ones from the Kahiki that are old and brass these are not cheap these days.
But you can get new ones not brass but still cool these can be found at a boat type store.
Some of these items can be kinda pricy but they last forever look great and need no maint.
Plus they hold there value so they are a good buy.
See photos.

View Profile of tikiskip Send a personal message to tikiskip      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-06-25 11:49 am   Permalink

Yeah, skip, I just bought 10 small dock cleats to use and pulls fo rcabinets and drawers. Cheap and easy.

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-06-25 11:58 am   Permalink

This is not exactly what I used under my bar, but similar. A flat ribbon of LEDs that has a remote control and allows you to change the colors and dim and brighten them. The ones I have came in 1 foot sections you plug end to end. The glue eventually failed and we reworked them with velcro instead. This was much easier and better than traditional rope lights. And the disco strobe effect comes in handy at times...

Amazon link

My search results

Announcing Swank Pad and Crazy Al's Molokai Maiden!

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TIKI DAVID
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-06-25 3:37 pm   Permalink

Too Big?

View Profile of TIKI DAVID Send a personal message to TIKI DAVID  Email TIKI DAVID     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Greg_D_R
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2012-06-25 9:08 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2012-06-12 07:14, tikiskip wrote:
Looks like they changed a bit.
But these are them.
http://www.onestopbuy.com/Leviton-Snap-In-Receptacles-59069.asp

Well, hell. I wish I had known about those before I put my dimmer/string light circuit together.

View Profile of Greg_D_R Send a personal message to Greg_D_R      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2012-06-28 7:24 pm   Permalink

"Too Big?"

David I love it!
How heavy is that thing?

TIKI DAVID
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-06-29 03:10 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2012-06-28 19:24, tikiskip wrote:
"Too Big?"

David I love it!
How heavy is that thing?

it's not,it is about 50#
It's the 2 piece wood form, for making the sand mold for a bronze ship cleat.
I'm going to glue it together and paint it bronze.
even up close,It looks like the real thing.

View Profile of TIKI DAVID Send a personal message to TIKI DAVID  Email TIKI DAVID     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kane Tiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2012-07-23 01:31 am   Permalink

My number 1 tip.... work out exactly how much raw materials you need before you start the build out and then buy about a quarter extra. You'll need it, especially if you're doing your first build. A lot of trial and error, that is screw ups, means you'll use more than you think. Also, If you can afford it, buy it all at once. There's nothing worse than going to pick up supplies only to find something you need is out of stock, or worse still, discontinued. Nearly a year out from the start of my build I'm still going because of this. It'll be finished next week I hope!

View Profile of Kane Tiki Send a personal message to Kane Tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kon-Hemsby
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-07-23 04:25 am   Permalink

IMHO, I agree with Swanky, LED strip lights (I got mine from Ikea) are brilliant to light up shelves. I have mine lighting up my rums and mugs and as you can change their colour you can change them according to the best setting for your place. And they are low heat and very small and discreet.
I personally found that varnishing the lauhala matting with a matt varnish gives it a great aged look.
Agree that plenty of sockets are invaluable.
And finally plan out your floorspace and where the bar will sit a number of times to find what suits best and don't panic in the early stages of the build. The best bars will evolve as things and decor are added to them.

And one regret, if you can make your bar a 'wet bar', it makes keeping things clean a lot easier. I have to run up and down stairs to wash things up.

[ This Message was edited by: Kon-Hemsby 2012-07-24 04:19 ]

View Profile of Kon-Hemsby Send a personal message to Kon-Hemsby  Email Kon-Hemsby     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bloody Good
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2012-07-23 1:40 pm   Permalink

Tikiskip, thanks so much for the porthole idea!!! Im totally going to use that!!

View Profile of Bloody Good Send a personal message to Bloody Good  Goto the website of Bloody Good     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2012-08-01 09:17 am   Permalink

Glad you like.
Now build that bar and show us what did or did not work.

Here's a cool one.
A table and umbrella stand all in one.
Just go to the hardware store and get a 1.5 inch floor flange and
a 1.5 inch piece of threaded pipe about two inches long.
Bolt to your barrel then add a bolt to hold umbrella.
You may want to put some nails in the rings on you barrel
to hold them together better as well.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation