FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Home Tiki Bars The Best and Worst thing I did to my Tiki space, Via Tikiskip, Check here before you build.
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 )
The Best and Worst thing I did to my Tiki space, Via Tikiskip, Check here before you build.
VampiressRN
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2015-05-23 7:33 pm   Permalink

I think a best practice is to develop a good bar name & a logo. Then having cocktail glasses made with your logo along with swizzle sticks, napkins, coasters, a sign, etc. not only fun but can be gifts to fellow Tikiphiles.

Planning can sometimes be an afterthought for many of us. I am filling my walls up but have that empty (off-white) ceiling that is going to need some serious help one day. While it is best to work from the top down, those of us that don't have building skills sometimes get stuck working from the bottom up.

[ This Message was edited by: VampiressRN 2015-05-23 19:36 ]

View Profile of VampiressRN Send a personal message to VampiressRN  Email VampiressRN Goto the website of VampiressRN     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Pele Paul
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2015-05-23 8:27 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2015-05-23 19:33, VampiressRN wrote:
I think a best practice is to develop a good bar name & a logo. Then having cocktail glasses made with your logo along with swizzle sticks, napkins, coasters, a sign, etc. not only fun but can be gifts to fellow Tikiphiles.

Planning can sometimes be an afterthought for many of us. I am filling my walls up but have that empty (off-white) ceiling that is going to need some serious help one day. While it is best to work from the top down, those of us that don't have building skills sometimes get stuck working from the bottom up.

[ This Message was edited by: VampiressRN 2015-05-23 19:36 ]

Don't let Bamboo Ben hear you have white walls or ceilings!!! lol

View Profile of Pele Paul Send a personal message to Pele Paul  Email Pele Paul     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
LoriLovesTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2015-05-24 7:30 pm   Permalink

I love my outdoor spot but am sad I only get to really enjoy it for 3-4 months a year. Maybe someday I'll have an indoor space as well. As of now the tiki has started creeping into the house.....

Here in NJ the rain and snow are the biggest problem especially on the natural materials. Although expensive we've been most pleased when we put up the extra $ for synthetic materials. Every year I have to sand/stain/poly the wood and bamboo. Even the wood tikis and masks that I have polyed the crap out of grow little spots of mold from being outside all season. But the artificial thatch and weave look as good as the day we installed them, 4+ years later.

View Profile of LoriLovesTiki Send a personal message to LoriLovesTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2015-05-25 07:56 am   Permalink

Thanks Lori this thread is only as good as what people post to it.

My hope was to save people time money and work at the same
time getting the most out of the efforts and money they put into their space.

I can't tell you how many times somebody says they are going to use thatch or
bamboo outdoors in this frozen tundra we live in.
After I try to tell them it won't last or how fast it will rot they say
"It's ok I will fix it when it does"
Well that lasts about a year or two then they start all over with the kind of things that
will stand up to the ice, snow, rain we get here.

Make bamboo elements that you can remove and take inside of the winter.
But remember that bugs love to nest in Bamboo, rattan and thatch.

So do it once, do it right, and put more time into other projects or enjoying the space you
built.

Lights for home and
commercial TIKI bars.

View Profile of tikiskip Send a personal message to tikiskip      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2015-06-05 4:02 pm   Permalink

How to wrap your Bamboo corners here...
Wrapping Bartop with Cane....HELP!!....

http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=49163&forum=1&22

View Profile of tikiskip Send a personal message to tikiskip      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VampiressRN
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2015-06-06 7:44 pm   Permalink

I feel the creep coming on. My lounge is getting full, already a year ago Tiki moved into my dining room. It is starting to move into the hallways between the lounge, dining room, and living room. My living room is rather nondescript, there is no theme...so the big Tiki I just got has moved to my lounge, but he has his eye on the living room!!!

View Profile of VampiressRN Send a personal message to VampiressRN  Email VampiressRN Goto the website of VampiressRN     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2015-06-17 08:30 am   Permalink

Yeah Vamp most old timers have boxes of tiki packed away as hey hunted over the years.

Here is some great tips on making trim for your tiki bar spot....
http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=49315&forum=20&start=last&13

Tiki Toli
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2015-06-18 11:12 am   Permalink

Another rope tip! Everyone loves the look of triple braided hemp Manila rope. Thing is it rots from the inside out, never dries out, and will shrink to 90% of its length when wet. For outdoor use, use a product called Pro Manila, it looks like manila but is made from polypropylene film and they then use that to make the individual rope strands. The result is a rope that replicates the look and feel of manila that doesn't rot or shrink. best place I know to get it is knot and rope https://www.knotandrope.com/store/pc/viewCategories.asp?idCategory=2

View Profile of Tiki Toli Send a personal message to Tiki Toli      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ka'lenatiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 28 days ago; 1:02 pm   Permalink

Thanks for getting this started tikiskip. I've always found sometimes it's the little stuff that gets you into trouble.

View Profile of ka'lenatiki Send a personal message to ka'lenatiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 27 days ago; 08:02 am   Permalink

Thanks ka'lenatiki.

I wish I had thought out my backyard more really.
It would not have cost that much more to have huge rocks built into the pool
deck when the yard was all tore up.
This is what made me think of this thread.

Hope that this thread can help people do more with less.

Biotron2000
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 27 days ago; 2:15 pm   Permalink

Don't forget lauhala matting is a hand made product, and subject to variances in size and appearance. I forgot, and started stapling a piece to my wall, and it was about three inches short of the 8 foot length. The next piece was about three inches longer. I had to get creative with my bamboo trim on the bottom of the wall.

Visit Patrick's Tiki Hut!

View Profile of Biotron2000 Send a personal message to Biotron2000  Email Biotron2000 Goto the website of Biotron2000     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ka'lenatiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 14 days ago; 12:21 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2015-07-03 08:02, tikiskip wrote:
Thanks ka'lenatiki.

I wish I had thought out my backyard more really.
It would not have cost that much more to have huge rocks built into the pool
deck when the yard was all tore up.
This is what made me think of this thread.

Hope that this thread can help people do more with less.

I know the feeling. I would have moved the fence back another 10 ft. The thing I really hate is coming up with the space for a new whatever, like a spa,lol. The cobble pathway we just put in leading to the newly redone pond sat on the pallet for 2yrs while I figured out how I wanted it done.

View Profile of ka'lenatiki Send a personal message to ka'lenatiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ka'lenatiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 14 days ago; 12:25 pm   Permalink

While I think of it, is there a way to clean the black off bamboo? I have a couple of pc's I picked up, but after getting wet they blackn'd. Thought about a bleach wash but.... Also, will a coat of shellac help?

tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 12 days ago; 10:55 am   Permalink

I would try TSP.
Or any mold type cleaner.

Man you have had no rain how did you get mold?

And at least here in Ohio shellac does not help much.
It maybe better in Cali.

Look go to Disneyland and see what they do, then do that.
Bamboo outside is going to F&*% up, Unless you work on it all the time.
Better for you in Cali as you don't have as much rain and no snow, plus no freezing
temps like Ohio.

Why do I live in Ohio?

Look at these painted metal foe bamboo fence at Half Moon inn.
Would cost more but dam this would be forever.
Even round painted wood would be better than bamboo.
And I love bamboo, but it's not worth the hassle.

Good luck!!

Lights for home and
commercial TIKI bars.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2015 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation