FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Home Tiki Bars » » The Best and Worst thing I did to my Tiki space, Via Tikiskip, Check here before you build.
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 )
The Best and Worst thing I did to my Tiki space, Via Tikiskip, Check here before you build.
tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2015-10-23 7:06 pm   Permalink

Glad that worked for you.

Do what the big parks in your area do as they have figured the best way
over time.

View Profile of tikiskip Send a personal message to tikiskip      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2016-01-09 5:15 pm   Permalink

Ok here are some great bar towels.
Found these on eBay and they are the same as the ones that I used at my
restaurant years ago.

"Dude it's a towel" true but some towels these days are almost water proof.
Like the red strip ones a lot as they look like bar towels and get better with age.
Plus dam they only cost like $13.90 for 13 towels, says 12 but I got 13.

You will love them.
I got both of these towels, both are great but if I had to get only one style it would be the red stripe ones.

PS not my sales, I make nothing on this and do not know sellers.

12 NEW RED STRIPE GLASS KITCHEN CLEANING TOWELS $13.90 Per 13
http://www.ebay.com/itm/121102968874

1 DOZEN 100% COTTON BLUE STRIPE HERRINGBONE KITCHEN DISH TOWELS LINT FREE $10.74
http://www.ebay.com/itm/161076155208?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

View Profile of tikiskip Send a personal message to tikiskip      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bobtiki
Grand Member (2 years)  

Posted: 2016-03-15 10:42 pm   Permalink

Thanks for the great thread, tikiskip, et al.! Lots to figure out as I'm putting my space together — thanks for letting me learn from you! That post on wrapping corners may be just what I need to tighten up my mitred corners here.

View Profile of bobtiki Send a personal message to bobtiki  Email bobtiki Goto the website of bobtiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Keaka-tiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2016-04-22 10:41 pm   Permalink

Tikiskip, thanks for reminding me about this thread. So many awesome ideas all in one place.

View Profile of Keaka-tiki Send a personal message to Keaka-tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2016-06-15 09:58 am   Permalink

No prob Keaka-tiki.

Here is a good AND bad thing all in one.

I give you the Hillbilly pool heater.
Had a propane pool heater but dam that cost like $1.400 per year to fill.
So I took the dam thing and built a fire under it.

Good thing... it did heat the pool to like 79 degrees it was 68!
I don't get in till it's 82 degrees or better.
With the solar cover it is now 4 days later 83 degrees.

Bad thing It took 10 hours of stoking the fire and smoking up the neighborhood, it put flakes of metal in the pool from the heater.
At one point the dam thing was rocking and making such a noise we thought it would shoot to the moon!
At the hottest the water went in at 74 and came out 90 degrees!

Next will be solar heater put on roof.

AkronTiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2016-06-15 1:31 pm   Permalink

I’m in Ohio, too (during the summer, we pronounce it Oh-HEE-Oh – the lost Hawaiian Island) but the winters are tough. I’ve used often used 2’-6” hollow core lauan doors for my bar top; everything gets covered in the winter but after the first one warped to hell, I just remove it and keep it in the garage during the winter, the bar itself gets pushed up against the house and covered with thin plywood or whatever else I can find, then a plastic tarp. Like most of my stuff, it sits on my deck overlooking the pool.

I had a little 3-shelf bookcase to store mugs and other stuff on – I paid $10 at a thrift store and even though it was made of cheap plywood, plenty of paint kept it useful for about 6 years; it finally fell apart this spring, but I found a little solid wood stand with turned legs to replace it.

Plenty of paint and stain help me get through – I usually have to give some things a brief touch-up each spring, but it doesn’t take long. If it can get stored in the garage or shed, it is. The biggest problem I seem to have is watching some items fade so badly – and sometimes so quickly – tin signs, door mats, etc. There may be a spray on UV protectant, but who knows if that would work…

[ This Message was edited by: AkronTiki 2016-06-15 13:32 ]

View Profile of AkronTiki Send a personal message to AkronTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2016-06-15 6:12 pm   Permalink

So what temp is your pool?
Is it an in ground?

Ours is large and in ground so it heats slowly.

Ohio Sucks!

AkronTiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2016-06-16 05:25 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2016-06-15 18:12, tikiskip wrote:
So what temp is your pool?
Is it an in ground?

Ours is large and in ground so it heats slowly.

Ohio Sucks!

Ours is in-ground, too - I don't even use a thermometer anymore. My guess it's in the upper 70's - I like it just cool enough so it's still refreshing to walk into, but not so cold that I can be heard screaming when I step into it. I don't want it so warm it's like bathwater, that's for sure.

I will heat it up mostly if people are coming over; if it's hot outside and I've been working up a sweat doing things in the yard, I'll get in no matter what temperature it is. If I heat it up a little on a Friday night for use on Saturday, it's usually good for the rest of the weekend. I did have a solar cover; used it one season and now it (and the reel) are hanging up in the back of the garage.

I don't mind it here in Ohio at all. I like that we get all four seasons; last year, I had the pool open from May 1 to the end of September - 5 months isn't bad. I'd have had it open that early this year two - but I'm behind on everything about 3 weeks due to a overseas trip. When it gets hot, it's humid, too - every time someone mentions global warming, I say "bring it on."

If I need to escape for a bit, I just go up to Put-In-Bay; it's one part Key West, one part Cape Cod, one part NOLA. I had a boat for a while, but with the pool, there just wasn't enough summertime for both. Mostly now I just sit out back and vacation at home.

View Profile of AkronTiki Send a personal message to AkronTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
muffyn

Posted: 2016-07-08 2:58 pm   Permalink

hi!

have some questions..
we decided to build a tiki bar/palapa after years of looking at them in the Caribbean & Florida. um yea right. we are in OHIO!! we had thought great idea,after obtaining a bar top that was offered up in our area ready made of bottle tops ( long story.......),
we had previously built an irish pub in our house, & added deck & pool outside, so natural progression was to someday add a tiki bar,
sooo not thinking it through, we started to build frame, ordered the thatching, & THEN started researching exactly what might happen to our bar in OHIO ( i mentioned Ohio, right?).
really did not think about it, since florida gets RAIN & so does Caribbean,, thought, ok, will cover it in winter... mm seems not so much idea huh?
alright Ohioan's,, ( or other northerners) is there any good news projects, ? or is this doomed?
the way i see it, i have 3 choices.
1) cover it in winter with tarp/plywood, whatever,, but it has to breathe , right? or will rot?
2) put thatch on for temporary? & remove /store/ for winter ( we only have 3 months left of good weather yet here (eek!)
3)shoot, had another choice , but it left me for now.

ok, so what can you tell me? suggestions?
possible get artificial thatch in future?

thanks!!

View Profile of muffyn Send a personal message to muffyn      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2016-07-09 06:58 am   Permalink

Nice pool AkronTiki!
Our pool is about 90 degrees now.

And muffyn welcome to TC.
There was a guy here that did the whole put the thatch up then take it down thing.
When I heard that I said you will tire of that real quick.
Don't think he does that any more.

You could put it up in areas easy to put up and remove for winter.
BUT their are still the bugs, earwigs must love that stuff and you put it over your
head no less.

I think the rain, most summers we get LOTS of rain, kills the thatch.
This summer I think we are close to 4 inches below average rain fall.

So use the thatch till it craps out then for here the rusted old corrugated steel
would be the best bet.

That thatch is not cheap, plus you may get like 3 years out of it.
"since Florida gets RAIN & so does Caribbean"
They do but you can bet they got guys they pay that fix that thatch every now and then, that is the difference.

Good luck, post pictures of your work.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2016 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation