FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Home Tiki Bars The Best and Worst thing I did to my Tiki space, Via Tikiskip, Check here before you build.
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 )
The Best and Worst thing I did to my Tiki space, Via Tikiskip, Check here before you build.
ErichTroudt
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-11-11 12:29 pm   Permalink

The door saver II pin hinge stopper is my new buddy. Stops the door without anything being on the floor to trip over or those regular ugly stoppers that go on the hinge.

Makes the door stop before it hits the clam shell in my door trim and is pretty invisible. $8 bucks on Ebay.

View Profile of ErichTroudt Send a personal message to ErichTroudt  Email ErichTroudt     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Longboard
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-11-17 08:38 am   Permalink

Defiantly plumbing and electrical work.

Take the time to have it figured out before you start. Right now I'm replumbing my bar and adding electrical, that would have been way easier had it been done in the first place.

-Longboard

View Profile of Longboard Send a personal message to Longboard      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2014-11-17 10:37 am   Permalink

Thanks Erich that is a good tip!
I look through ebay every now and then just to see what new stuff is
out there.
Also I've said it time and time again You Tube is a great place to get answers to
projects you may have as well.

And Longboard that's what this thread is about trying to save people time and money and get it right
the first time.

Have seen many more great ideas here on TC on many topics not posted here but I wanted to try and
make a one stop place to find it all as some of these ideas you may not even know what to
put in a search for.

Will try to post links when I see these great ideas from other TCers on this thread.

Thanx for adding guys.
TC is only as good as the info people like you add to it.

View Profile of tikiskip Send a personal message to tikiskip      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2014-11-17 10:49 am   Permalink

File this link under best thing....
Here is a link to the whole thing but will also add the recipe for this mix.
Great job on this tiki! take a look.
This idea comes from Wavy_Davy.
http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=48404&forum=18&13

To make the hypertufa used here,
I used equal parts of portland cement, peat moss, and perlite. The first big batch had equal amount of sand as well for strength. The additional batches had less sand and I kind of eyeballed it. Probably a little more than half the amount of the other ingredients. I used a big bucket that my pool chlorine came in as my measuring cup. It made it easy to keep the mixes consistent.
Here is a website that I found with some good hypertufa recipes - http://www.artistic-garden.com/hypertufa-recipes/
I used the third one and modified it slightly. I poured all the dry ingredients into a big plastic tub and mixed it up well to incorporate everything. Wear a mask- the dust is nasty. Then I dumped the dry mix in an old wheel barrel and added water to get it to a good consistency. Kind of like making mud pies. You want it wet enough to hold together but not to soupy that it will run. I put on rubber gloves and applied it to the form. The next day - 24 hrs later, you can begin to shape it with rasps, chisels, wire brushes, etc.... It is a joy to carve.

A couple of tips.

- I made a screen out of a piece of wire mesh cloth to sift out the peat moss. It is pretty chunky out of the bag. Using your hands to break up the pieces.
- Since the build required multiple applications of hypertufa, I brushed on concrete adhesive between layers.
- I kept the sculpture wet during the entire process by spraying it with water and keeping it covered in plastic.

To apply the chicken wire to the foam armature I bought a spool of standard heavy gauge craft wire at Home Depot, cut off long pieces and folded them over to make long staples. I just shoved them into the foam around the chicken wire. You can twist the chicken wire to give it shape. I used the wire to crimp and hold the shapes.

I have never worked with hypertufa so I had no idea what the final color would be. It was perfect for the first month or so then it got very light in color. I ended up sponging on some diluted Quikrete concrete stain to get the look I wanted. I called Quikrete and they did not think it would work. So far...so good. We'll see how it makes it through a New England winter.
- Wear gloves when you are doing any shaping after it dries in the first few days. The set up hypertufa carves beautifully and sometimes I would grab a chisel and make a small adjustment here or there. I was too lazy to put on gloves and...the stuff burned off my fingertips.
I plan on scraping off some lichens from some nearby rocks, mixing it with buttermilk and brushing it on "Moe" I read that this will promote lichen growth to make it look more like a natural stone.

I now have a small MIG welder and I would weld up a wire frame instead of using the foam.

I hope this helps. Good Luck!

Dave

View Profile of tikiskip Send a personal message to tikiskip      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2014-11-17 10:54 am   Permalink

Here is another great idea from muskrat.
These are faux bamboo rain gutters but you could do this and make faux bamboo as well.
would like to know how well these take the elements and look after years of use.
http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=47292&forum=18&29

tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2014-11-17 10:58 am   Permalink

Ok one more on the good side.

jungle cruise ride sign.....
http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=48309&forum=18&14

This idea is from gabemaita.
For this i used exterior latex primer wit a very little bit of powdered plaster mixed in. Im going to try to build the animatronic tiki poles frome the tiki room, but this time i want to try to use a liquid resin hard coat. Im just still researching it. there is also a concept drawing of Trader Sams Grog Grotto at WDW, showing a tentacle come throug a port hole holding a bottle of rum, that my boys really want me to try. just trying to figure out how to do the suction cups. really dont want to try to carve each of them individualy. the latex and plaster gave a really good surface with out to much build up. I got hte idea from several haloween websites, they call it monster mud, made out of premixed drywall mud and latex paint. i used powdered plaster, to keep the bulk down. i wanted a semi hard coat without the build up. my mix ratio was like 8 to 1 or 10 to 1, paint to plaster.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation