FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Creating Tiki » » Tiki Carving » » Some of my work....I finally did it ;)
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
Some of my work....I finally did it ;)
Cljha
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2012-06-12 12:16 pm   Permalink

Hi,

Okay, did not find time for new carving but I did finish one and braid the rest, plus I decided to start turning pearls for the closing....challenging, especially without lathe
The 2 first one are coming with ebony pearl and the taniwha closing is made out of pink ivory.

Any comment/advice/feedback is welcome
Thanks

View Profile of Cljha Send a personal message to Cljha  Email Cljha     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lava
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2012-06-13 3:52 pm   Permalink

Very nice "VAN" sized carvings. You would not want to carve palm where you sleep.

View Profile of lava Send a personal message to lava      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lava
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2012-06-13 3:52 pm   Permalink

Very nice "VAN" sized carvings. You would not want to carve palm where you sleep.

View Profile of lava Send a personal message to lava      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Captain Jack
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-06-13 4:07 pm   Permalink

Very nice work!! Good Job!

View Profile of Captain Jack Send a personal message to Captain Jack  Email Captain Jack Goto the website of Captain Jack     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Cljha
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2012-06-14 10:55 pm   Permalink

Lava, Thanks for the comment, as for the van size carving, well, I'm okay with it, I will just enjoy even more the day I will have enough space for bigger works.
Captain Jack, thanks for your words. There's still a lot of things (design and details wise) which I'm not happy with but like it has been said here many times, each carving is teaching me something.

View Profile of Cljha Send a personal message to Cljha  Email Cljha     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Cljha
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2012-06-28 09:47 am   Permalink

Kia Ora,

I decided to study a design by Gareth Barlow, one of the most inspirational carver for me, I post this work with his kind authorization. The original is obviously much better, but here is my version. I learned so much that I want to thank Gareth once again for the inspiration.
Hope you also enjoy, any comment/feedback is welcome.
Btw, 1st picture is made after last sanding stage and before chemical polishing (12000grit, first time ever I go that far). Size is about 10x2.5cm, 3.9x1", and closing bead is turned out of wild cherry burl.

[ This Message was edited by: Cljha 2012-06-28 09:48 ]

Cljha
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2012-09-24 10:21 am   Permalink

Not much happening recently as I'm still spending to much time under my van instead of inside it...but...

Cljha
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-02-23 12:15 am   Permalink

Hi Tikimaniacs,

Ok, winter has been long, cold and actually is still running but I had lot of time to think about what I want to do and therefore I kick myself in the ass and finally made my first real tiki (as I normally do Maori style pendant).
I realize that fear of failing was actually worse than failing itself so here is my first Marquesan head, wood is either beech either maple, I strongly think that it is maple (anyway hard wood)
Size is about 10cm (4") high and 6cm (2"3∕8) diameter
Carve with chisels and I admit using a suspended motor for the nose lines
All in all, I am quite happy with it, even if I spot every mistakes each time I look at it.
I did learn a lot and especially that the surface of the blank should be well prepared .
Thanks for looking and for any feedback/criticism.

And one bone pendant...

[ This Message was edited by: Cljha 2013-02-25 08:10 ]

Atomic Mess
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-02-23 01:45 am   Permalink

very nice Tiki, let's see some more!

View Profile of Atomic Mess Send a personal message to Atomic Mess  Goto the website of Atomic Mess     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
amate
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-02-23 08:29 am   Permalink

That little Marquesan head is cool.

View Profile of amate Send a personal message to amate  Email amate     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hang10tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-02-23 3:15 pm   Permalink

Great stuff
How about some step by step pics of a bone carving
Awesome

Jon

View Profile of hang10tiki Send a personal message to hang10tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
laojia
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-02-24 11:52 pm   Permalink

Nice marquesan! And cool work on bone too. Braiding are particularly successful

J.

View Profile of laojia Send a personal message to laojia      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Cljha
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-02-25 06:32 am   Permalink

Atomic Mess, thanks, as for more....well I'll try my best, but I always get lost in other project so...but I have a tiki-related project in mind I just need to work more on the drawing
Amate, thanks for the feedback, much appreciated
Jon, thanks, next bone pendant I'll try to take some pictures along the way.
Jérôme, thanks, I wish my carving ability could match my braiding one , but the braiding is more easy for me as I have been doing macramé and knots in the past.

Fox
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2014-04-01 2:35 pm   Permalink

Your work is Beautiful!!!

View Profile of Fox Send a personal message to Fox  Email Fox     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hang10tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-04-02 07:29 am   Permalink

Update time

View Profile of hang10tiki Send a personal message to hang10tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation