FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving First carving attempts of a newbie
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
First carving attempts of a newbie
anchorfish
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2012-05-27 8:54 pm   Permalink

Well after lurking the depths of TC and seeing the vast collection of carving/sculpting talent - I have decided to jump in the water and try my hand at carving tiki...

......I like it!

(the back story) I found some Mexican Palm logs that a guy was trying to dump and, being a newb, I said sure I'll take'm! Hauled them home and stared at them for a month or so before I got brave enough to dig in.. Keep in mind I was all over this forum seeing the outstanding collection of work/talent and was feeling pretty insecure. Anyways, I traded tools for chisels and went for it. I did these by hand, including stripping them. I have to say I am hooked. What a zen kind of experience feeling a razor sharp chisel move through the fibers of a palm log As I carved away I soon realized that these gems were rotting from the inside out! So I decided to try and save the first little guy by hollowing him out.. also entirely by hand.. I started a second log and after cutting some deep lines I actually saw, and heard, it spit! Broke out the chain saw and cut out a section from the back and hollowed out the soft stringy rotting insides. this stopped the spitting. At this point I used the back piece to carve a mask.. So please feel free to share any advice.. I'm currently working on a third tiki and would appreciate you collective wizdom

... holds the plant so he doesn't feel so empty inside

Used a torch for color..

This is the guy that lost his back... Tiki #3, still gonna finish him

I'm learning a lot both from TC and hands on... most important lesson-keep your chisels razor sharp!

View Profile of anchorfish Send a personal message to anchorfish  Email anchorfish     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Badd Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-05-27 11:21 pm   Permalink

Nice work, especially like the first one. Must've been a ton of work to hollow him out like that

View Profile of Badd Tiki Send a personal message to Badd Tiki  Goto the website of Badd Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Cljha
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2012-05-27 11:39 pm   Permalink

Welcome,

woaw, the first one...can't wait to see more.
I also started making tiki recently and for sure they should put a warning on tiki central about the addiction that it creates
About the mask, I liked it better before torch, but hey that's just my opinion
Good luck with the third one.
Take Care

Christophe

View Profile of Cljha Send a personal message to Cljha  Email Cljha     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
anchorfish
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2012-05-27 11:42 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2012-05-27 23:21, Badd Tiki wrote:
Nice work, especially like the first one. Must've been a ton of work to hollow him out like that

yeah it was but it just helped me to better understand the tools... I also figured out that some long chisels for deep work would be a good investment

Thanks for the complement Badd Tiki !

View Profile of anchorfish Send a personal message to anchorfish  Email anchorfish     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
anchorfish
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2012-05-27 11:50 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2012-05-27 23:39, Cljha wrote:
Welcome,

woaw, the first one...can't wait to see more.
I also started making tiki recently and for sure they should put a warning on tiki central about the addiction that it creates
About the mask, I liked it better before torch, but hey that's just my opinion
Good luck with the third one.
Take Care

Christophe

LOL.. thanks Christophe... I like it better that way too.. I like seeing the tools marks. But on the plus side somebody has already claimed ownership and it will have a new home tomorrow

amate
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-05-28 05:29 am   Permalink

You are already producing some nice work. Keep carving!

View Profile of amate Send a personal message to amate  Email amate     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
surfintiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-05-28 06:25 am   Permalink

You're hooked.

View Profile of surfintiki Send a personal message to surfintiki  Goto the website of surfintiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MaukaHale
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-05-28 06:38 am   Permalink

You have a talent for carving.

View Profile of MaukaHale Send a personal message to MaukaHale  Email MaukaHale     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Mess
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-05-29 04:00 am   Permalink

good stuff, like the planter!

View Profile of Atomic Mess Send a personal message to Atomic Mess  Goto the website of Atomic Mess     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
anthonymaye
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-05-29 06:23 am   Permalink

Your tikis look amazing like your style and the hollow tiki looks cool as a planter and when it was empty.

View Profile of anthonymaye Send a personal message to anthonymaye  Email anthonymaye Goto the website of anthonymaye     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
McTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-05-29 06:30 am   Permalink

Very nice carvings. Welcome to TC fellow addicted one.

Mahalo

McTiki

View Profile of McTiki Send a personal message to McTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
anchorfish
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2012-05-29 10:59 am   Permalink

Thanks for all the kinds comments! It is an addiction and it also saved my life. I am so stoked to be in a place with such a concentrated and diverse collection of talent and inspiration.. .. I was going to start doing this some time back but then gave up before I started after I saw the high level skill on TC...... then I ran across Crazy Al's work.... I felt like buying chisels just throw them into the ocean hahha!

Howzits and Mahalos

[ This Message was edited by: anchorfish 2012-05-29 11:00 ]

[ This Message was edited by: anchorfish 2012-06-11 18:47 ]

pjc5150
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-05-29 1:54 pm   Permalink

dude, that is an EXCELLENT first effort...

kudos!!!

View Profile of pjc5150 Send a personal message to pjc5150      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
anchorfish
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2012-05-31 01:32 am   Permalink

Howzits!.... here are some progress pics of Tiki 3... again, I am totally open to any and ALL advice or tips you guys might want to offer.

I'm not sure if it's the Spanish palm wood or the fact that it was so old that makes it so inconsistent when carving.... or if it's just me being a newb Some areas are crazy brittle while other spots cut clean and smooth. My other frustration is that I can't go as deep as I would like too..

As you can see I made some changes from the first pic I posted. I'm still roughing it in and just starting to model it here and there. I still have a long ways to go but over all I'm digging where its heading

Just starting to remove material to define the mouth more before laying out and the starting the teeth.

This is the back section I mentioned earlier. That piece became the mask I posted.

I'll post the rest when he's completed. Mahalo!

TheBigT
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-05-31 08:47 am   Permalink

Coming along great! Only your 3rd tiki?? wow. Nice work. Can't help you with palm. I've never carved any. The one you're carving sounds about as finicky as the pine i usually carve.

View Profile of TheBigT Send a personal message to TheBigT      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation