FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving First carving attempts of a newbie
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
First carving attempts of a newbie
anchorfish
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2012-06-02 7:05 pm   Permalink

Aaarrgh... I decided I should put something on Tiki number 1 (Learning Tiki) to preserve him from the elements... I thought "hey, Thompson's Water Seal would be sweet". Maybe it would have been if it wasn't tinted with a Honey maple color! Not being all that bright, I figured maybe it wouldn't be all that bad.... WRONG! It looked like something out of a Martha Stuart french tiki motif! Panic ensued. Several beers later I opened a can of Mahogany stain and went back over it before it before it dryed.

I went ahead and torched the inside.

He actually doesn't look that bad now. I'm hoping weather and salt air will add more character as time goes on.

Learning Tiki has taught me much today.. like read the freak'n labels

View Profile of anchorfish Send a personal message to anchorfish  Email anchorfish     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
McTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-06-03 04:39 am   Permalink

Ha! He said Martha Stewart...

Turned out nice enough and he's well preserved for 7 yrs!

Keep em coming

Mahalo

McTiki

View Profile of McTiki Send a personal message to McTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
anchorfish
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2012-12-18 12:45 am   Permalink

Sorry T.C. for not keeping up.. life hit the fan. However!, I picked up the chisels and decided to get back into it with this really odd palm log. It was really stringy and fairly fresh as it was still wet.. I'll be walking on by it if I see that log type again. I think its a queen or a royal... but I have no real clue as I wouldn't know one from the other yet. Anyhow, this quick carve helped me clear my head

This next one is the fifth piece I've carved now. I decided to carve one for our annual family Christmas party gift exchange this year. Turned out to be a huge hit! I had a great time carving while the party was going on... and never did I have to get my own beer (I may start carving at parties more often)

I realize it's not traditional tiki style but I wanted to do something a little more edgy for the party. And carving this guy at the party with everybody watching and pointing and offering design suggestion and all the while bring me beautiful brown ales to keep me happily carving away really forced me to push myself further. Great fun!

This is my niece, she beat out 3 others in the gift exchange to win it.

The ride back to the Carving Cabana for final cuts and finish then my wife and I will be taking it back up to my niece's place in a few weeks.

I'll post the final pics when this guy is completed in a few weeks.. I just wanted to post this update because it had been way too long since my last one... and again as always thanks ahead for the tips and comments.

Nice to be back. Cheers!

View Profile of anchorfish Send a personal message to anchorfish  Email anchorfish     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tikidude007

Posted: 2013-06-28 1:28 pm   Permalink

Hi Guys, my name is Paul, I live in the UK, about an hours drive south of London. A while back I was left some woodworking tools from my late Grandad, he was a carpenter by trade. So a lovely big box of tools sitting in my shed for a few years doing nothing and then just recently I came across some pictures of Tiki carvings, I thought to myself they look really cool, why don't I have a go at carving a Tiki myself, I've got some wood lying about. So I set to and these are the results, had loads of fun doing them and really seemed a nice relaxing hobby. The couple I have made are of course no where near the standards of the amazing work on this forum, but I think I have the bug and going to go for number 3 over this weekend, weather is going to be good

So this is Number 1

And number 2

So that's my first 2 Tiki's done, they are both carved out of Oak. Really pleased I've found this forum, a great resource for all that's Tiki.
Have a nice weekend people
Paul

View Profile of Tikidude007 Send a personal message to Tikidude007      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
For the Love of Tiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-06-28 6:45 pm   Permalink

Yah, outstanding work. I like it.

View Profile of For the Love of Tiki Send a personal message to For the Love of Tiki  Email For the Love of Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tikidude007

Posted: 2013-06-29 1:30 pm   Permalink

Hi, thank you very much for your kind comment
So this is today's work, my first Moai, again good fun carving and am pretty pleased with the end result.

Keep on carving

View Profile of Tikidude007 Send a personal message to Tikidude007      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
4WDtiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-06-29 10:27 pm   Permalink

Paul, you need to start your own thread!

View Profile of 4WDtiki Send a personal message to 4WDtiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation