[Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving Tiki Carvings - jbensch
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
Tiki Carvings - jbensch
jbensch
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2012-06-01 08:02 am   Permalink

I'm pretty new to carving tiki's but here are a few examples. I'm still working on the large one, it needs quite a bit of detailing.

Comments are surely welcome.

I have a few more - considerably smaller made from aged maple from my backyard...I'll post a few more pictures soon.

Thanks for looking.

[ This Message was edited by: jbensch 2012-06-22 04:44 ]

View Profile of jbensch Send a personal message to jbensch  Email jbensch Goto the website of jbensch     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
anthonymaye
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-06-01 08:23 am   Permalink

Wow nice work can't wait for the detail work.

View Profile of anthonymaye Send a personal message to anthonymaye  Email anthonymaye Goto the website of anthonymaye     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
jbensch
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2012-06-01 10:00 am   Permalink

This one was a request for a friend.

I used some dry maple from the yard.

Mapped out:

Finished:

View Profile of jbensch Send a personal message to jbensch  Email jbensch Goto the website of jbensch     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TheBigT
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-06-01 10:55 am   Permalink

Nice carves. They're lookin good. Should finish out nicely.

View Profile of TheBigT Send a personal message to TheBigT      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
seeksurf
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-06-01 11:11 am   Permalink

well done! dont stop!

View Profile of seeksurf Send a personal message to seeksurf  Email seeksurf Goto the website of seeksurf     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
anchorfish
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2012-06-02 11:08 pm   Permalink

Those look excellent!

View Profile of anchorfish Send a personal message to anchorfish  Email anchorfish     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Cljha
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2012-06-04 12:20 am   Permalink

Good work, I really dig the smaller one on the first pic and the maple one.
Out of curiosity, do you use the flexcut carving knife then the flexshaft (see on the last picture) for sanding?

Christophe

BTW, welcome on Tiki Central

[ This Message was edited by: Cljha 2012-06-04 00:24 ]

View Profile of Cljha Send a personal message to Cljha  Email Cljha     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
jbensch
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2012-06-05 05:26 am   Permalink

Thanks Cljha! Yep, I use the regular Flexcut KN12 for everything but chipping out the open mouth and then sand with the mini-sand head and emory paper. I've been trying to figure out the proper speed for sanding...anything above 5 seems way too fast.

jbensch
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2012-06-05 06:52 am   Permalink

Just another small one I made from the dried maple:

I was given some dried cherry but my poor chisels can't seem to bite through easily. They lose their edge after just a few cuts. Hopefully I'll have some pics to share soon.

Thanks for looking!

pjc5150
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-06-05 11:14 am   Permalink

dude, those are VERY good for early efforts....way better than my firsties for sure...

keep 'em comin', and welcome to the party...

View Profile of pjc5150 Send a personal message to pjc5150      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Cljha
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2012-06-05 11:24 am   Permalink

I understand you on the cherry, it is a superb wood, but very demanding on the tools. I had my first try recently
Good luck

[ This Message was edited by: Cljha 2012-06-05 11:26 ]

View Profile of Cljha Send a personal message to Cljha  Email Cljha     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
CaddyDaddy

Posted: 2012-06-05 6:30 pm   Permalink

Excellent detail! I will be using some of your design ideas for my next carving. Keep it coming.

View Profile of CaddyDaddy Send a personal message to CaddyDaddy  Goto the website of CaddyDaddy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hang10tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-06-05 8:21 pm   Permalink

Keep on truckin

View Profile of hang10tiki Send a personal message to hang10tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
jbensch
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2012-06-06 05:33 am   Permalink

Thanks everyone! I have a few more and should have pics up soon. I liberated a larger piece of walnut from a downed tree last fall, it's been drying in my work-area for the last few months...it's just waiting for the blade. I'd love to get my hands on some palm, but it isn't the easiest wood to get here in Pittsburgh.

hang10tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-06-06 07:56 am   Permalink

Yep, palms not a "burgh-thing"

View Profile of hang10tiki Send a personal message to hang10tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation