[Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food Tortuga Rum
Tortuga Rum
littlegiles
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-06-18 10:46 pm   Permalink

Hello Everyone.

I posted earlier in the week about rums from the carribean, and have found that there is a large selection of Tortuga Rum on Grand Cayman (one of my stops on the cruise). What is your opinion of this liquor?

View Profile of littlegiles Send a personal message to littlegiles  Email littlegiles     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thejab
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2003-06-18 11:16 pm   Permalink

Never seen Tortuga rum but I found this:

http://www.tortugarums.com/

View Profile of thejab Send a personal message to thejab  Goto the website of thejab     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikibars
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-03-10 11:50 am   Permalink

I was at Trader Vic's last week hoisting a cocktail to the memory of Mr. Denny. Always eager to continue my exploration of new frontiers on the drink menu, I tried the Tortuga, and was quite pleasantly surprised.

AJ (manager) was on vacation, and the bartender was mum when I asked for the recipe.

Anyone have it?

View Profile of tikibars Send a personal message to tikibars  Email tikibars Goto the website of tikibars     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Rum Balls
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2005-03-10 1:32 pm   Permalink

There's also "Tortola" rum, distilled in the British Virgin Islands.
http://ministryofrum.com/islands.html
Be sure to go to Stingray City on Grand Cayman!

View Profile of Rum Balls Send a personal message to Rum Balls      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
captnkirk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-03-10 4:41 pm   Permalink

I have had Tortuga Rum and it is not that bad. It is the official rum of the Cayman Islands.

That said, Tortuga is for tourists, it is over priced Jamacian rum that has been relabeled. Grand Cayman is a small island, they have no sugarcane plantations, and they have no rum distillery. I was there and I asked where they made it, thinking I might visit the distillery and I was told "Jamacia".

[ This Message was edited by: captnkirk on 2005-03-10 16:42 ]

View Profile of captnkirk Send a personal message to captnkirk  Goto the website of captnkirk     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
vini-tiki-vechi

Posted: 2005-03-10 5:07 pm   Permalink

Stick to the small rum flavored cakes sold there. In my opinion they're much better than the rum...though a bit expensive.

View Profile of vini-tiki-vechi Send a personal message to vini-tiki-vechi  Email vini-tiki-vechi     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation