[Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » General Tiki » » Trader Vic's Palo Alto closing
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page ) Remove Highlighting
Trader Vic's Palo Alto closing
JenTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-06-20 4:23 pm   Permalink

palo-alto-will-become-the-sea-by-alexanders-steakhouse/" target="_blank">http://insidescoopsf.sfgate.com/blog/2012/06/20/trader-vics-in-palo-alto-will-become-the-sea-by-alexanders-steakhouse/

The Palo Alto branch of Trader Vic’s is still open, but get there while you can, because Jeffrey Stout and Alexander’s Steakhouse are moving in later this year.

However, chef-owner Stout won’t make the El Camino restaurant the third location of his Michelin-starred steakhouse; instead, he’s turning to seafood. The new restaurant will be named The Sea by Alexander’s Steakhouse.

“Our hope is to be the premiere fine dining seafood restaurant in the Bay Area,” he says.

“Essentially we want to do what we did with steak but different protein,” he continues. “I remember Aqua as the first seafood restaurant to go outside the mold of the old-school San Francisco, lemon and petrale sole dishes.”

Stout mentions places like L.A.’s Providence and New York’s Le Bernardin in discussing his aspirations for elaborate presentations and upscale seafood dishes — something that he says has been missing from the Bay Area food scene since the demise of Aqua.

It’s a big space: 150 seats in the dining room, plus the capability for another 200 in the private dining areas, which Stout says he hopes to utilize for corporate events and weddings. They’ll give the space a cosmetic makeover, but no big structural changes. At this early stage in the planning, the goal is mid-October.

As for Trader Vic’s, it’s been in business since 2001. At that point in time, it was the first Trader Vic’s to open in the United States in 28 years. No word yet on an exact closure date."

View Profile of JenTiki Send a personal message to JenTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Robertiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-06-20 5:05 pm   Permalink

They were under performing. A shame yes, but as far as the TVs go, more of the corporate style.

View Profile of Robertiki Send a personal message to Robertiki  Email Robertiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TropicDrinkBoy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-06-20 5:25 pm   Permalink

This is devastating news. Luckily I live equidistant from Emeryville and Palo Alto and have been visiting both often but Palo Alto is close to work and has been a blast to visit with coworkers. I'm very sorry to hear that it is closing. When Emeryville was remodeled some of their employees were able to work at Palo Alto for a while so hopefully some Palo Alto workers will be able to do likewise. The ones I've met are dedicated Trader Vic's workers.

View Profile of TropicDrinkBoy Send a personal message to TropicDrinkBoy      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
exquisitecorpse
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-06-20 9:26 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2012-06-20 16:23, JenTiki wrote:
The Palo Alto branch of Trader Vic’s is still open, but get there while you can, because Jeffrey Stout and Alexander’s Steakhouse are moving in later this year.

Sad to see it go; but glad i got a chance to stop in for a drink before.

View Profile of exquisitecorpse Send a personal message to exquisitecorpse  Goto the website of exquisitecorpse     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VampiressRN
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2012-06-20 9:31 pm   Permalink

Glad I got to experience Tikiyaki Orchestra there. Sad to see it close.

View Profile of VampiressRN Send a personal message to VampiressRN  Email VampiressRN Goto the website of VampiressRN     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-06-20 9:38 pm   Permalink

Bummer. Have not been, need to go. Any plans on a Tiki Central night get-together to say goodbye to the place? I am up for a road trip to check it out before it goes and meet some Northern California TC Ohana.

Lets get going before its gone.

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigtikidude
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-06-20 9:49 pm   Permalink

Its a Damn shame.

Jeff(btd)

View Profile of bigtikidude Send a personal message to bigtikidude  Email bigtikidude     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
The Blue Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-06-20 10:19 pm   Permalink

Very depressing . . . I need a drink . . .

View Profile of The Blue Kahuna Send a personal message to The Blue Kahuna      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
SandraDee
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-06-20 10:27 pm   Permalink

I have had so many awesome stays at the hotel connected to TV PA , I am sure that will be gone too.

RIP Dinah's--I loved your koi filled lagoon

View Profile of SandraDee Send a personal message to SandraDee      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AceExplorer
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2012-06-21 03:46 am   Permalink

Bad news indeed... Many years ago I had my first "real" Mai Tai there. I also spent many nights down the street at Rickey's Hyatt Hotel, an amazing old-California bungalow hotel, now closed and replaced with condos, I think. Rickey's was straight out of old movies. Losing Vic's after having also lost Rickey's is a tremendous loss for the area. However there are still many very nice mid-century homes with loving and caring owners to be found all around Palo Alto.

View Profile of AceExplorer Send a personal message to AceExplorer  Email AceExplorer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Or Got Rum?
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-06-21 07:15 am   Permalink

Oh the irony....yesterday I was talking to our daughter who just returned home from her freshman year at Stanford. My wife and I were planning a trip to PA this coming year and wanted to stay at Dinah's and hang at TV. I even had her somewhat intrigued about Tiki....Oh well, time will tell. Damn!

View Profile of Or Got Rum? Send a personal message to Or Got Rum?      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
BuzDeadwax
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2012-06-21 07:57 am   Permalink

Had a blast last NYE there and wanted to repeat it next -- dang! Worth a summer overnight anyway before it turns over. They still might keep a lot of the kitch - and hopefully the drinks will be "themed"!

View Profile of BuzDeadwax Send a personal message to BuzDeadwax  Email BuzDeadwax Goto the website of BuzDeadwax     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
christiki295
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-06-21 08:02 am   Permalink

A shame, although it was a much better run than TV San Francisco.

View Profile of christiki295 Send a personal message to christiki295  Email christiki295     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
CincyTikiCraig
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-06-21 6:50 pm   Permalink

What is going on with TV's? For several years they seemd to be on a real swing, opening new TV's in many cities. Now they are closing more than they're opening. Is it the quality of the product they are offering, the management of individual ocations (Chicago comes to mind), or something else?

View Profile of CincyTikiCraig Send a personal message to CincyTikiCraig      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VampiressRN
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2012-06-21 7:26 pm   Permalink

Can we expect another fabulous warehouse sale? That is some good shopping right there!!!

View Profile of VampiressRN Send a personal message to VampiressRN  Email VampiressRN Goto the website of VampiressRN     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation