FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Home Tiki Bars The Breezeway - Costa Mesa, CA (Breezeway/ PinUp Calendar Pre-Sale now!)
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 Next Page )
The Breezeway - Costa Mesa, CA (Breezeway/ PinUp Calendar Pre-Sale now!)
Monkeyman
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-11-21 12:01 pm   Permalink

Looks like a very inviting space.
Nicely done

View Profile of Monkeyman Send a personal message to Monkeyman  Email Monkeyman     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Luckydesigns
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-11-21 3:01 pm   Permalink

Thanks, Derek!
Yeah, ATP pretty much talked me into it. It was a big, unexpected purchase, but when you see something rare and vintage, you gotta jump on it or you may never find one again. Thanks for the shove, Lance.

View Profile of Luckydesigns Send a personal message to Luckydesigns  Email Luckydesigns Goto the website of Luckydesigns     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VampiressRN
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2012-11-22 09:08 am   Permalink

ATP is a wonderful nag!!! Nice set...looks great in your space.

View Profile of VampiressRN Send a personal message to VampiressRN  Email VampiressRN Goto the website of VampiressRN     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-11-23 02:04 am   Permalink

Just for that, we will see you tonight at Don's!

View Profile of Atomic Tiki Punk Send a personal message to Atomic Tiki Punk      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Luckydesigns
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-12-17 4:27 pm   Permalink

Built another resin chunk lamp for The Breezeway, this weekend. They look really good in pairs!

View Profile of Luckydesigns Send a personal message to Luckydesigns  Email Luckydesigns Goto the website of Luckydesigns     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
forgotten tikiman
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-12-17 8:59 pm   Permalink

Those are nice. They look great.

View Profile of forgotten tikiman Send a personal message to forgotten tikiman  Email forgotten tikiman     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hale Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-12-19 1:06 pm   Permalink

Spike.
How do you make the chunks? What are you molding? Did you hand carve them? Or did you mold rubber/silicone then break it up by hand, and then mold that to pour the resin into?
I'm weighing my options right now as to how to go about it.

View Profile of Hale Tiki Send a personal message to Hale Tiki  Email Hale Tiki Goto the website of Hale Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Luckydesigns
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-12-19 1:24 pm   Permalink

It is "Castin' Craft" resin that I then pour into tupperware containers to set. Once it hardens, I break the crunks up with a hammer.

The Castin Craft stuff makes it a pretty expensive art proj. Like $30 for one batch of the stuff, and you need about two batches of it. Not horrible if you are making it for yourself. Too expensive to make it worth it to sell though (unless I can find another source for hard curing tintable resin).

That's the quick version. Hope it points you in the right direction!!

Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-12-19 1:30 pm   Permalink

I am waiting on pins & needles for the resin chunk lamp toilet seat
your making for the The Breezeway bathroom!

View Profile of Atomic Tiki Punk Send a personal message to Atomic Tiki Punk      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
KAHAKA
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-12-19 5:49 pm   Permalink

Atomic Punk, that's hilarious. Awesome lookin' ceiling!! That thing filled up quickly. Nice work,

Custom Tapa Swag Lamps and Sconces Built By Kahaka

View Profile of KAHAKA Send a personal message to KAHAKA  Email KAHAKA Goto the website of KAHAKA     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hale Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-12-19 5:54 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2012-12-19 13:24, Luckydesigns wrote:
It is "Castin' Craft" resin that I then pour into tupperware containers to set. Once it hardens, I break the crunks up with a hammer.

The Castin Craft stuff makes it a pretty expensive art proj. Like $30 for one batch of the stuff, and you need about two batches of it. Not horrible if you are making it for yourself. Too expensive to make it worth it to sell though (unless I can find another source for hard curing tintable resin).

That's the quick version. Hope it points you in the right direction!!

Mahalo!

I was definitely over-thinking it. The answer is yes, there's a lot more cost effective resins. Molding/casting is one of the things I do at work everyday. Hence why I was WAY over-thinking it. I'll give it a try with some resins and post the results at some point in the next month or two.

Aloha!

View Profile of Hale Tiki Send a personal message to Hale Tiki  Email Hale Tiki Goto the website of Hale Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Luckydesigns
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-12-20 5:51 pm   Permalink

Please do! I tried some other resin that I found at Home Depot too... Wasn't too impressed with it.
There's a place around here that does boat repairs and I guess they sell a ton of resin there. Haven't looked into it yet...

Hale Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-12-21 05:19 am   Permalink

Absolutely man. I'm on vacation the next two weeks, but maybe I'll sneak into work and make a lamp.
I've got a moai mold that would look nice with the chunks.

Luckydesigns
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-12-29 5:31 pm   Permalink

Finished two of these new hanging speaker boxes for The Breezeway! Wired to my computer and activated from my phone...
Nice to finally have some music in there!!

Hale Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-01-03 09:58 am   Permalink

I ordered a few types of resin.
There's one that's only semi-transparent that I think will diffuse the light really well.
I'll keep you updated!

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation