FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Home Tiki Bars » » The Breezeway - Costa Mesa, CA (Breezeway/ PinUp Calendar Pre-Sale now!)
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 Next Page )
The Breezeway - Costa Mesa, CA (Breezeway/ PinUp Calendar Pre-Sale now!)
Luckydesigns
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-01-06 10:12 am   Permalink

I just realized that I posted this on Facebook, but not on TC. I found this fountain at the vintage swap in Long Beach. Same as Sven's in the Book of Tiki… Anyway, I built a base for it and found a faux giant clam shell for it to spit into… Pretty happy with how it came out!

View Profile of Luckydesigns Send a personal message to Luckydesigns  Email Luckydesigns Goto the website of Luckydesigns     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Lucky Star Tiki Bar
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2014-01-06 10:19 am   Permalink

That is fantasticly awesome. We have planes to do something smaller. But that just looks amazing.

View Profile of Lucky Star Tiki Bar Send a personal message to Lucky Star Tiki Bar  Email Lucky Star Tiki Bar     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-01-06 12:52 pm   Permalink

looks great Spike!

View Profile of Atomic Tiki Punk Send a personal message to Atomic Tiki Punk      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
forgotten tikiman
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-01-06 1:50 pm   Permalink

Great job with that fountain Spike. Not only is this a great find but you put it to very good use and incorperated that clamshell perfectly. Awesome!!!!! I dig it .

View Profile of forgotten tikiman Send a personal message to forgotten tikiman  Email forgotten tikiman     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Luckydesigns
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-01-06 2:32 pm   Permalink

Thanks, guys!

View Profile of Luckydesigns Send a personal message to Luckydesigns  Email Luckydesigns Goto the website of Luckydesigns     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Fez Moai
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2014-01-06 5:48 pm   Permalink

Thumbs up on the fountain. What size pump are you using? I see so many at the stores with prices ranging from $25 to God knows what.

View Profile of Fez Moai Send a personal message to Fez Moai  Email Fez Moai     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Luckydesigns
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-01-12 08:06 am   Permalink

Hey, Fez, I was using a pump which is good for up to 4', but it didn't have enough juice to get the water to shoot out. The next size up was way too much power, even on the lowest setting, and just about hosed my dog down. I ended up covering one side of the plastic grate where the impeller sucks from, with duct tape. Works pretty well now. Just have to figure out how to limit the water splatter that comes from hitting the shell.

Luckydesigns
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-01-27 2:21 pm   Permalink

After putting the fountain in that spot, I kinda realized (with PolyPop's help) that I needed to finish off that corner of the bar a little better. Right now, The Breezeway ends and just kinda runs into the reality of my backyard… Like a BBQ, hose reel, and Thunderbird parts… Ruins that escapist feeling.

See? (The bamboo standing up was there to mock something up.)

So the plan is to build kind of a midcentury screen thing that helps hide part of the house. Closest to the wall will be a hanging jade tile treatment. The other part will be like they did at VenTiki with the cut bamboo laid sideways... Thought that was a really cool idea.

So I got these tiles from an old Trader Vic's via OA. Here's the rough mockup.

Built this frame thing after a bunch of carving, burning, and sealing…

After tying up all of the trellis thing, I screwed it into the frame that I built. All of this was super tedious stuff. You can't really just throw this kind of thing together...

Here it is, installed:

When I get home from work tonight, hopefully I'll get to hanging the tiles! I still need to burn and cut the wood for the rest of the screen thing.

lucas vigor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-01-27 3:06 pm   Permalink

whoa! awesome!

View Profile of lucas vigor Send a personal message to lucas vigor      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Big Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-01-27 4:04 pm   Permalink

Very cool, Spike!

View Profile of Big Kahuna Send a personal message to Big Kahuna  Email Big Kahuna     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-01-27 5:38 pm   Permalink

You know that looks about right, Spike
but I better come over & see if works after a few cocktails
just to make sure.....see ya in about an hour?

View Profile of Atomic Tiki Punk Send a personal message to Atomic Tiki Punk      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiAno
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-01-27 6:11 pm   Permalink

Awesome- love the latest additions. Thanks for fountain discussion- I'm thinking about a water feature....

View Profile of TikiAno Send a personal message to TikiAno  Goto the website of TikiAno     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Luckydesigns
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-01-29 09:28 am   Permalink

More progress…

Here are the tiles, hung with bailing wire…

Tying up the tiles with manilla rope…

Here it is, almost all finished…

Tying these knots is super tedious. Actually the whole process has been pretty tedious. Happy with how it's coming out though!

Luckydesigns
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-01-29 09:33 am   Permalink

Knot detail.

MaukaHale
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-01-29 10:48 am   Permalink

Very tasteful!

View Profile of MaukaHale Send a personal message to MaukaHale  Email MaukaHale     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation