FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Home Tiki Bars The Breezeway - Costa Mesa, CA (NEW bts PIN-UP photoshoot photos 6/24/14)
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 Next Page )
The Breezeway - Costa Mesa, CA (NEW bts PIN-UP photoshoot photos 6/24/14)
Trailerpark Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-08-05 08:49 am   Permalink

Sweet looking space. Quick build too. Congrats on the new bar! I poached some good ideas from your build. Back to work on my bar...

View Profile of Trailerpark Tiki Send a personal message to Trailerpark Tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
RevBambooBen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-08-06 08:26 am   Permalink

How was the lamp building party?

View Profile of RevBambooBen Send a personal message to RevBambooBen  Email RevBambooBen Goto the website of RevBambooBen     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Luckydesigns
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-08-06 3:46 pm   Permalink

Thanks, Trailerpark! I'd love to hear what you liked about our build.

Ben, Dinah and I spent a LOT of Saturday wrapping inflatable balls with yarn in order to make some string lamps. What a mess! Probably won't ever do that again. We'll post pics if these things ever dry.

We DID end up finishing a new lamp though!
Enjoy the process:

Cut the wood...

After burning the wood...

Stapled the walls on. We had some of this material leftover from when I remodeled the kitchen in the house. Kind of a fibrous matting paper.

All boxed in...

Building the roof line (you can see the string lamps drying in the background)...

Our thatched roof...

It was getting dark by the time we got to working on the bottom of the lamp, so please excuse the dark photo. We added some tapa and framed it out with leftover split bamboo.

Hanging with a blue light

The image that we posted on Instagram. You can follow us @thehulagirls

Hope you dig it! We are pretty happy with the finished outcome, although the tapa on the bottom is less translucent on one side than it is on the other. We may tear that section apart and redo it so that it's 'perfect' to our expectations.

[ This Message was edited by: Luckydesigns 2012-08-06 15:48 ]

View Profile of Luckydesigns Send a personal message to Luckydesigns  Email Luckydesigns Goto the website of Luckydesigns     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Trailerpark Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-08-06 4:24 pm   Permalink

I liked how you made a lot of the decor yourself. The trim panels, the orange diamonds, the lamps. The ceiling is both cool and functional. You know you've got a cool tiki bar when you have a lava waterfall and a mountain goat...

View Profile of Trailerpark Tiki Send a personal message to Trailerpark Tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Luckydesigns
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-08-06 5:57 pm   Permalink

Thanks! Yeah, I can't help but want to make as much of this stuff as possible. It's more cost effective, not that hard to do, and pretty rewarding if you have the time!

That damned mountain goat has learned that he can get out of the yard by jumping out of that window.
We're gonna have to figure something out with that.

View Profile of Luckydesigns Send a personal message to Luckydesigns  Email Luckydesigns Goto the website of Luckydesigns     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-08-06 6:01 pm   Permalink

Barbed Wire & Machine Gun Towers, Herr Spike!

View Profile of Atomic Tiki Punk Send a personal message to Atomic Tiki Punk      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Luckydesigns
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-08-13 08:53 am   Permalink

Spent most of Saturday carving and assembling these four faced stools for the bar. Ben had brought some over just like these to 'stage' for the filming.
We dug 'em so much, I had to make some myself. Still need to paint them, but I think they came out alright.

Contact Ben if you want some of your own. His are really cool!

RevBambooBen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-08-16 08:02 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2012-08-06 15:46, Luckydesigns wrote:

Ben, Dinah and I spent a LOT of Saturday wrapping inflatable balls with yarn in order to make some string lamps. What a mess! Probably won't ever do that again. We'll post pics if these things ever dry.

[ This Message was edited by: Luckydesigns 2012-08-06 15:48 ]

I stopped by for a quickie yesterday and your balls felt hard to me!;) Arrrrrrr!!! ( Stiffy! Too funny!

Bamboo Ben
Custom Tropical Decor
I build Tiki Rooms for you! Just ask around ;)
http://www.facebook.com/bambooben

View Profile of RevBambooBen Send a personal message to RevBambooBen  Email RevBambooBen Goto the website of RevBambooBen     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Al Hangmen
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2012-08-16 09:35 am   Permalink

Man, Oh Man, This place looks Fantastic!! Amazing Job! Looks like a great wrap party too! Congratulations!!

View Profile of Al Hangmen Send a personal message to Al Hangmen      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Luckydesigns
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-08-28 2:02 pm   Permalink

Thanks Al!

This weekend may be one of our first in a while without a Hula Girls show to play! Hope to get more work done of the Breezeway! Finish those yarn lamps, start working on some hanging chunk resin lamps and more traditional tiki lamps... That's the plan anyway!

TikiPops
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-08-29 9:23 pm   Permalink

The "Breezeway" looks awesome & it came together so fast. You all did a great job.

View Profile of TikiPops Send a personal message to TikiPops  Email TikiPops     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Luckydesigns
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-08-30 09:22 am   Permalink

Picked up some fish net floats yesterday. Gonna see how we can mix the vintage nautical with our modern aesthetic!
Stay tuned.

Luckydesigns
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-09-04 09:09 am   Permalink

Here are a couple more pictures of the bar and a new vintage float that we just hung.

In keeping with our mid-century tiki modern theme, we also tried our hand at making a resin chunk lamp this weekend.

Also finally cut a hole in the string lamp that we had made. We lit it with an available bulb that we had laying around, though I think we will end up opting for an oversized low wattage frosted white bulb.

Will post pictures of them lit up at night when we finish getting everything together.

Luckydesigns
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-09-05 09:17 am   Permalink

We finally lit and hung the resin chunk lamp that we made. Proabably still need to make one more so that we can hang them both over the table.
If only resin wasn't so damned expensive....

PolynesianPop
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-09-05 09:58 am   Permalink

Looking good Spike!

View Profile of PolynesianPop Send a personal message to PolynesianPop  Email PolynesianPop Goto the website of PolynesianPop     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation