FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Collecting Tiki Help Identify, What Is This, Is This A? Thread
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 Next Page )
Help Identify, What Is This, Is This A? Thread
KAHAKA
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-06-02 8:29 pm   Permalink

http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=17948&forum=12&hilite=Target%20tiki

Here's a thread about the peanut tiki from a few years back.

Custom Tapa Swag Lamps and Sconces Built By Kahaka

View Profile of KAHAKA Send a personal message to KAHAKA  Email KAHAKA Goto the website of KAHAKA     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
SilverLine
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-06-03 09:01 am   Permalink

Awesome! Thanks for the info! These never made it to Targets here; I'd never seen one before.

Classic Silver Line Boats

View Profile of SilverLine Send a personal message to SilverLine  Goto the website of SilverLine     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
SoCal Savage
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-06-21 11:51 am   Permalink

Hi all. I figured I'd post in here instead of starting a new thread. Thanks in advance for any help with this piece.

I've been eyeing this lamp that's for sale near me. The seller has no information about it and seems to think it is a one off home made piece. Does anyone have any idea who may have made this? And of course I must ask... is this Tiki?

Thanks!

View Profile of SoCal Savage Send a personal message to SoCal Savage      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-06-21 12:12 pm   Permalink

It is a artistic interpretation of typical "African" design
but it is a cool lamp though.....

View Profile of Atomic Tiki Punk Send a personal message to Atomic Tiki Punk      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
SoCal Savage
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-06-21 12:14 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-06-21 12:12, Atomic Tiki Punk wrote:
It is a artistic interpretation of typical "African" design
but it is a cool lamp though.....

Thanks!

View Profile of SoCal Savage Send a personal message to SoCal Savage      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Pittsburgh pauly
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-06-30 07:56 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2012-11-13 10:26, Pittsburgh pauly wrote:
Anyone know about this white and bamboo plaque?

Thanks to the Met's featured artwortk of the day of a Kifwebe mask from the Luba people of the Congo, and some follow up,
I can see that this is much more this:

Than this:

Darn it.
Still like it and it's staying, but now I know.
To make matters worse, it looks like some contemporary designs may be borrowing elements from both. Geesh.

View Profile of Pittsburgh pauly Send a personal message to Pittsburgh pauly  Goto the website of Pittsburgh pauly     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Boscorooty
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-07-07 11:47 am   Permalink

Hi guys, my wife bought these two last week as a combo Father's Day / Birthday gift. The story is that they were purchased originally in a Chicago antique shop in about 2003. The person who sold them at the time said they came from a recently defunct tiki bar in the Chicago area, but didn't know which one. I've been scouring all the pics, but can't find them, so I thought I'd see if anyone has spotted them anywhere.

They're each 40" tall, clearly vintage, and are carved wood. Thoughts?

[ Edited by: Bora Boris - Did some straightening. - 2013-07-07 11:59 ]

View Profile of Boscorooty Send a personal message to Boscorooty      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-07-07 12:49 pm   Permalink

Not so sure they are vintage, they kinda look Poly-Asian to me - perhaps from the ill-fated new Trader Vic's?

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Boscorooty
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-07-07 6:12 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-07-07 12:49, bigbrotiki wrote:
Not so sure they are vintage, they kinda look Poly-Asian to me - perhaps from the ill-fated new Trader Vic's?

I can tell by the condition of the wood that they're too old to be from the Gold Coast Vic's. Besides, I was there several times. These guys were not there. I don't remember them in the Palmer Vic's either, so I'm pretty much ready to rule out either of those establishments.

View Profile of Boscorooty Send a personal message to Boscorooty      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-07-07 10:34 pm   Permalink

Are you sure it's not artificially aged? Those import store suppliers are pretty good at that. I just can't discern any of the mainland style in these, and especially the left one's face with its tiny nose, the lidded eyes and the wobbly lines reminds me of the Bali/Indonesian Tikis that Vic's was importing:

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Boscorooty
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-07-08 05:42 am   Permalink

I suppose one is never 100% sure, but I've dealt with my share of antique wood over the years, and I'm no slouch.

Even if they were artificially aged, these were in someone's possession, here in Michigan, at least since 2003. For that reason alone, they can't have been from the Gold Coast Vics.

bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-07-08 12:29 pm   Permalink

I am just going by my first impression, and that of only one photo, so I might be wrong. But I have heard so many shady claims by sellers of age and origin, I have learned to only trust my own knowledge and eye. The Poly-Asian types have been sold under false pretense before, with vague "from some closed-down restaurant" pedigrees.

As I wrote the above, I wondered "Maybe I can find that thread about Robert from Thatch buying all those fake 'Trader Vic's N.Y. Plaza' Tikis from years ago - and I did. And that was the photo in it:

http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?mode=viewtopic&topic=21678&forum=1&start=0

Typsy said this about them:

Quote:

On 2006-11-06 12:49, Tipsy McStagger wrote:
they have been selling these for years here in chicago.....there's a warehouse on the south side selling all but the short guy with the mask....they are all new tikis, not vintage....i reported on this a long time ago i believe...duke carter also knows of this place -i forget the name, but if i think of it i'll post it....they are expensive,,,about $450 for the trader vic salt shaker replicas....

[ This Message was edited by: bigbrotiki 2013-07-08 12:31 ]

porco
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-07-08 1:04 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-07-08 12:29, bigbrotiki wrote:
"Maybe I can find that thread about Robert from Thatch..."

good lord. i'm just making the connection that i knew rob from years ago, and he's already been in and out of the tiki business since!

what a small freaking world.

View Profile of porco Send a personal message to porco  Goto the website of porco     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Boscorooty
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-07-08 4:48 pm   Permalink

Hmmm... Certainly looks like the guy on the left. Though the one I have is cracked, and the interior wood shows the same age as the exterior. I have a hard time believing they're less than 30-40 years old. I wonder how many years "for years" encompases.

Paid 400 for the pair, with a couple of pricy Munktiki and Tiki Farm mugs thrown in, so I'm happy either way. Interesting.

[ This Message was edited by: Boscorooty 2013-07-08 16:48 ]

Hale Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-07-08 5:29 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-07-08 16:48, Boscorooty wrote:
Hmmm... Certainly looks like the guy on the left. Though the one I have is cracked, and the interior wood shows the same age as the exterior. I have a hard time believing they're less than 30-40 years old. I wonder how many years "for years" encompases.

Paid 400 for the pair, with a couple of pricy Munktiki and Tiki Farm mugs thrown in, so I'm happy either way. Interesting.

[ This Message was edited by: Boscorooty 2013-07-08 16:48 ]

Post pics of the mugs in Tiki Finds!

View Profile of Hale Tiki Send a personal message to Hale Tiki  Email Hale Tiki Goto the website of Hale Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation