FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Collecting Tiki Help Identify, What Is This, Is This A? Thread
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 Next Page )
Help Identify, What Is This, Is This A? Thread
Tikifan1
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2013-07-19 12:23 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2011-02-04 12:33, TIKI DAVID wrote:

I just got one of these in my grubby little mitts yesterday as a Get Well gift... It's a clock about 24" long, probably 3"thick, man tha thing is super heavy, SOLID wood and made to hang on the wall obviously. Anyone have any information as to who made it, where it came from, and how common they are? I've only seen this picture which I snitched off another thread. I will try to get a better picture soon. Mahalo in advance. Oh... found in the Mainlander territory to boot.

View Profile of Tikifan1 Send a personal message to Tikifan1  Email Tikifan1     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tikifan1
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2013-07-19 4:11 pm   Permalink

Broke out the pledge and cleaned this treasure up. I also happened to have a clock kit in my shop that fit perfect... she's up and running like a top.. can't get over how heavy it is.

View Profile of Tikifan1 Send a personal message to Tikifan1  Email Tikifan1     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Cheese Pirate
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-08-04 06:07 am   Permalink

I bought this canoe last year in a second hand store, it was quite cheap. It's roughly 56 cm/22 inches long. The people and paddles were all in a plastic bag so I'm not sure if I've placed them correctly. It's rather heavy, some sort of hardwood.

The toothy animal figurehead (and fish tail) reminds me a bit of this one, but the figures and decorations are somewhat different:
http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=43287&forum=5

Does anyone know where it comes from? Should the tallest figure be at the front or at the back?

View Profile of Cheese Pirate Send a personal message to Cheese Pirate  Email Cheese Pirate Goto the website of Cheese Pirate     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
nui 'umi 'umi
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-08-04 11:26 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-08-04 06:07, Cheese Pirate wrote:
I bought this canoe last year in a second hand store, it was quite cheap. It's roughly 56 cm/22 inches long. The people and paddles were all in a plastic bag so I'm not sure if I've placed them correctly. It's rather heavy, some sort of hardwood.

The toothy animal figurehead (and fish tail) reminds me a bit of this one, but the figures and decorations are somewhat different: http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=43287&forum=5

Does anyone know where it comes from? Should the tallest figure be at the front or at the back?

Hey CP, Datsa nice find! I wonder how it manage to sail through the North Sea?
Congratulations!

View Profile of nui 'umi 'umi Send a personal message to nui 'umi 'umi  Email nui 'umi 'umi     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-08-04 11:45 am   Permalink

I can say for certain it is not Marquesan, Hawaiian or Maori

The Snake depiction on the canoe and the design of the warriors suggests it is of "Asian" origin
I will need to do more research to narrow it down to which country.

It is not a Tiki design but would still look very cool in a home lounge.

View Profile of Atomic Tiki Punk Send a personal message to Atomic Tiki Punk      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Cheese Pirate
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-08-04 12:49 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-08-04 11:45, Atomic Tiki Punk wrote:
I can say for certain it is not Marquesan, Hawaiian or Maori

The Snake depiction on the canoe and the design of the warriors suggests it is of "Asian" origin
I will need to do more research to narrow it down to which country.

It is not a Tiki design but would still look very cool in a home lounge.

At least I know a little bit more about it now, thank you! I agree that it looks very cool even though it isn't Tiki. It's currently on display on a shelf in my living room.

Quote:

On 2013-08-04 11:26, nui 'umi 'umi wrote:
Hey CP, Datsa nice find! I wonder how it manage to sail through the North Sea?
Congratulations!

Thanks! It's not easy finding anything Tiki/South Pacific related up here in the icy wastes. Once in a blue moon I might find a Kon-Tiki item...it seems a lot easier to find African and Asian items.

View Profile of Cheese Pirate Send a personal message to Cheese Pirate  Email Cheese Pirate Goto the website of Cheese Pirate     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
D.Brown

Posted: 2013-08-14 02:20 am   Permalink

Hey all! I apologize in advance if there is a section that already answers my question but since my laptop was recently stolen navigating from my phone is the best I can do. I'm looking for a little help from the experts! My fiance and I bought this tiki from a hand carver in Honolulu. We were told it was the Tiki God of Luck. After researching a bit it looks to be the Tiki God of Money. Do you guys know the answer for sure just by a photo of the tiki? Any info would be appreciated! Thank you!

[ This Message was edited by: D.Brown 2013-08-14 02:20 ]

View Profile of D.Brown Send a personal message to D.Brown      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-08-14 1:23 pm   Permalink

It's really the Tiki God of Hawaii Tourists.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ErichTroudt
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-08-14 7:02 pm   Permalink

D.Brown,

That tiki most commonly carved by Tongan and Samoan families in the tourist parts of Hawaii, especially at the International Marketplace. Families have been carving that style for years and years. 50 year old ones and ones carved yesterday all have similar features, with tiny differences.

Many people on this forum feel these are not "Tiki", being Not mid century and mass produced.

Millions and millions of others, including myself, love these, and feel they are Tiki, being sold on polynesian islands, and made by polynesian people.

As far as meaning...luck, money, etc.... You can believe whatever you want. There's no definitive answer. Hopefully what it does represent is your time on the islands and good memories of your honeymoon.

View Profile of ErichTroudt Send a personal message to ErichTroudt  Email ErichTroudt     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
D.Brown

Posted: 2013-08-15 03:18 am   Permalink

Thank you very much for your reply! This was perfect. We will indeed always have it as a reminder of our time there and see it as a lasting memory rather than a token of some sort. May your tiki hunting be successful. Thank you again!

View Profile of D.Brown Send a personal message to D.Brown      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
uthinkimodd

Posted: 2013-08-18 6:30 pm   Permalink

Hello all,

I'm new to getting more serious about finding out more details about what kind of tiki items I have collected. I use ooga mooga primarily to ID some of my finds but I am having difficulty with a few pieces. I do pretty much all of my shopping at antique store or thrift shops. My collection is not big right now only about 15 pieces, of course I've got some tiki leilani's all double sided and on double sided usa version. My best mug is a Mauna Loa of Detroit it's a great mug and i'll post pictures of my small collection eventually but I would like help identifying these one's.

he looks like a maoi but at the same time a little different. I haven't been able to find one that is mostly smooth with the lines on the eyes and mouth only. the bottom rim also has a japan stamp on it

the next is a couple to double faced (both sides different. I would call the bowl style I can't really tell if i would consider them home made or not. so I'm hoping someone can help me out with that. The pictures are of the two mugs all i did was spin them to show the opposite side.

I am very grateful for any help. I've been searching and looking but I haven't been able to find a match for anything maybe i'm using the wrong key words but I am also unfamiliar with a lot of the manufacturers.

View Profile of uthinkimodd Send a personal message to uthinkimodd      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiTacky
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2013-08-18 7:44 pm   Permalink

The second grouping looks to me like homemade mugs using the Duncan molds. The first one is curious, I'm not sure I've seen anything like that before.
T-shirts based on vintage tiki matchbooks: TikiTees

View Profile of TikiTacky Send a personal message to TikiTacky  Goto the website of TikiTacky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
uthinkimodd

Posted: 2013-08-18 8:09 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-08-18 19:44, TikiTacky wrote:
The second grouping looks to me like homemade mugs using the Duncan molds. The first one is curious, I'm not sure I've seen anything like that before.

I found some that were green and had a stamping of "MT.FUJI INN OMAHA NEBR" Stamped on the plate on the back but like I said they were all green and mine is unstamped. i figured the other ones were homemade but they look interesting enough.

View Profile of uthinkimodd Send a personal message to uthinkimodd      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Alii Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-08-19 8:03 pm   Permalink

Haven't seen anything like this around, unglazed and no ID marks.
Most likely homemade but not bad quality.

Anyone know something more about this little guy that was sitting solo on a shelf in downtown Kona?

View Profile of Alii Tiki Send a personal message to Alii Tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mike and marie
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-08-22 5:46 pm   Permalink

This is a mystery mug -- at least to us. Anybody know what it means or where it's from? Our guess is 80s, possibly sorority event giveaway or some such.

It says "Polynesian Paradise" at top and the bottom it looks like it says "Snowflake." Snowflake? Hope someone knows.

View Profile of mike and marie Send a personal message to mike and marie      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation