FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Collecting Tiki Help Identify, What Is This, Is This A? Thread
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 Next Page )
Help Identify, What Is This, Is This A? Thread
tikigreg
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-08-23 04:10 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-08-22 17:46, mike and marie wrote:
This is a mystery mug -- at least to us. Anybody know what it means or where it's from? Our guess is 80s, possibly sorority event giveaway or some such.

It says "Polynesian Paradise" at top and the bottom it looks like it says "Snowflake." Snowflake? Hope someone knows.

Snowflake Drink Recipe

1 oz. Anisette
1 oz. Rum, white
1 oz. Vermouth, extra dry

Cheers!

View Profile of tikigreg Send a personal message to tikigreg      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Toli
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-08-23 4:28 pm   Permalink

Found this guy today at a Habitat Restore for $3. I was shocked when I flipped it over. Further investigation at home found initials on the side that looked like Aro 70. After some research it appears to be very similar to the octopus mug. Anyone have any info on this mug? Thing is big too, can hold 26oz

[ This Message was edited by: tiki toli 2013-08-23 19:58 ]

View Profile of Tiki Toli Send a personal message to Tiki Toli      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Phillip Roberts
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-08-23 5:29 pm   Permalink

Aloha,

Quote:

On 2013-08-23 16:28, Tiki Toli wrote:Anyone have any info on this mug?

It is indeed a Polynesian Pottery mug from the Trader Vic's in Waikiki Circa 1967-74... Many variants were used there. suggest you add it to the Crypto-mug thread in collecting. Quite jealous. See many more in the book..

Best,

Phillip

View Profile of Phillip Roberts Send a personal message to Phillip Roberts  Email Phillip Roberts     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Toli
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-08-23 8:01 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-08-23 17:29, Phillip Roberts wrote:
Aloha,

Quote:

On 2013-08-23 16:28, Tiki Toli wrote:Anyone have any info on this mug?

It is indeed a Polynesian Pottery mug from the Trader Vic's in Waikiki Circa 1967-74... Many variants were used there. suggest you add it to the Crypto-mug thread in collecting. Quite jealous. See many more in the book..

Best,

Phillip

Thanks Phillip thats what I was hoping to hear! I'll put it on the Crypto thread now

View Profile of Tiki Toli Send a personal message to Tiki Toli      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GLLWolf

Posted: 2013-08-30 12:09 pm   Permalink

Dear Folks of Tiki Central,

Gotta question for you. Can anyone identify this? (oh boy, I bet you've never heard this one before) I have "inherited" this, what I think is a Tiki head while helping friends pack up the belongings of their grandmother. They were going to just pitch it, but I asked to have it, and no one argued. It was brought back from Hawaii in 1970 while their grandparents were on vacation. That's all the relatives knew of it.

As you can see, from the pictures, its very crude. I do know the wood is Koa. And it appears to have a dark chocolate stain added to it. But for the life of me, the representation here is unlike any Hawaiian Tiki I've ever seen.

Is it just a crude piece made for tourist? Is it even Hawaiian? My late wife was 1/4 Hawaiian, and if it is something that is truly of the Islands, then I would want to pass it on to our kids, hopefully with some knowledge of what it story is. If not...?

I thank you all for your time,
GLLWolf
Greg

View Profile of GLLWolf Send a personal message to GLLWolf      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikigreg
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-08-31 05:05 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-08-30 12:09, GLLWolf wrote:

Is it just a crude piece made for tourist? Is it even Hawaiian?

GLLWolf
Greg

Hi GLLWolf,

Thanks for your question. According to the Book of Tiki, the definitive tome on all things Tiki, your find would be classified as a "nameless piece of hacked wood". But it would still make a nice garden ornament or doorstop, depending on its size.

Mahalo!

View Profile of tikigreg Send a personal message to tikigreg      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GLLWolf

Posted: 2013-08-31 05:25 am   Permalink

[quote]
On 2013-08-31 05:05, tikigreg wrote:
Quote:

Hi GLLWolf,

Thanks for your question. According to the Book of Tiki, the definitive tome on all things Tiki, your find would be classified as a "nameless piece of hacked wood". But it would still make a nice garden ornament or doorstop, depending on its size.

Mahalo!

So what you're saying...if I am following you correctly...and correct me if I am wrong...is if I wanted to remove the straw head off my scarecrow in my garden and stick this on it, in its place, I wouldn't be violating any Hawaiian cultural traditions?

"nameless piece of hacked wood"...that did make me chuckle. Thank you for response. I figured it was more closely related to a than

View Profile of GLLWolf Send a personal message to GLLWolf      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TIKI DAVID
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-08-31 10:54 am   Permalink

put it on Ebay and call it 'WITCO'

View Profile of TIKI DAVID Send a personal message to TIKI DAVID  Email TIKI DAVID     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GLLWolf

Posted: 2013-09-01 05:17 am   Permalink

Thanks Tiki David...I will do that.

Maui Chimes
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-09-01 9:11 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-09-01 05:17, GLLWolf wrote:
Thanks Tiki David...I will do that.

And make sure you add...super rare, cuz I never saw a Witco like that before!

View Profile of Maui Chimes Send a personal message to Maui Chimes      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikicoma
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2013-09-01 9:42 pm   Permalink

I picked up a staff last week, it's 5'10"...

The bird on top is missing the feathers on the back of it's head and wings (any ideas what they may have looked like?)

he's standing on a moai

who's on a Marquesian (?)

who's atop

standing on

and she's sitting on a PNG mask

all this is above this

So here are the questions, could this have been made by Oceanic Arts? What was WEW64?

A little about that estate sale it came from, Pete Lovely was a Volkswagen dealer who from the late '50's to the early '70's was a racer car driver, European GT, Sebring, LeMans and won the first Leguna Seca. So you may see why I find this interesting.
Was told the wings were off by '74 from a Xmas photo and an older relative(?) said the wife may have busted this over his head or vice versa and it didn't sound like he was kidding!
Any ideas?

aloha, tikicoma

View Profile of tikicoma Send a personal message to tikicoma      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Ragbag Comics
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-09-02 9:58 pm   Permalink

Hi folks-

Picked up this set of HUGE hanging bamboo basket lamps over the weekend.

They came from a couple in Indianapolis who got them at an estate sale somewhere close by, in the Midwest (though they couldn't recall where it was), and said there was a ton of other similar lighting in large tubs (and that this was some time ago.)

These are **BIG**... each lamp hangs like a pendulum, at over 5ft long.

They were clearly hardwired, once upon a time, into some VERY high ceilings.

They're definitely old, based on the patina of the wood, and the condition of the wall mounts and the switches on them.

They almost look like fish trap lights (but are mounted the wrong way) and they kinda look like snow shoes, so I wonder if they were in a lodge or something?

But they're made of bamboo, which screams tiki to me...

Anybody ever seen anything like these?

You can get a sense of the scale in these photos- those are the bamboo circular club chairs we have in our living room in the background (and these puppies are laying right next to 'em...)

Experts... please expert-ify...

--Pete

View Profile of Ragbag Comics Send a personal message to Ragbag Comics  Goto the website of Ragbag Comics     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bongo Bungalow
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-09-03 4:43 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-09-01 21:42, tikicoma wrote:
I picked up a staff last week, it's 5'10"...

It's amazing we don't see more staffs/walking sticks with tiki images...

View Profile of Bongo Bungalow Send a personal message to Bongo Bungalow  Email Bongo Bungalow Goto the website of Bongo Bungalow     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Maui Chimes
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-09-29 4:11 pm   Permalink

Aloha, I picked this up from an older man that said he brought this back from a restaurant in flordia approx. 20- 25 years ago. It heavy and looks to be carved from Palm. It appears to look very similar to the masks hanging on the exterior of the Hala Kahiki. Any thoughts?

View Profile of Maui Chimes Send a personal message to Maui Chimes      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
spy-tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-09-29 4:19 pm   Permalink

A friend of mine has this silk print. It's about 37"x59". His mom bought it for him about 2 decades ago when she was on a Hawaiian & Tahitian cruise. There doesn't seem to be an artist signature or any tag with a brand. Touristy kitsch or treasured artifact? Any ideas?

View Profile of spy-tiki Send a personal message to spy-tiki  Email spy-tiki Goto the website of spy-tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation