FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Collecting Tiki » » Help Identify, What Is This, Is This A? Thread
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 Next Page )
Help Identify, What Is This, Is This A? Thread
Tikifan1
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-10-05 8:41 pm   Permalink

I found this black velvet and know absolutely nothing about it other than it has a tear, it's filthy, the frame is jacked up and I think it's gorgeous... does anyone have any info? or is it just a kids art project? I want to know it's ok to try to make it look good... the picture is awesome... it truly is a filthy dirty mess in person.

View Profile of Tikifan1 Send a personal message to Tikifan1  Email Tikifan1     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-10-06 03:42 am   Permalink

Ummmm, Somebody else take this one........

View Profile of Atomic Tiki Punk Send a personal message to Atomic Tiki Punk      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tikifan1
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-10-06 8:34 pm   Permalink

I take that as an "It's ok to cut this outta the frame and use it as gift wrap!?!"

Quote:

On 2013-10-06 03:42, Atomic Tiki Punk wrote:

View Profile of Tikifan1 Send a personal message to Tikifan1  Email Tikifan1     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ErichTroudt
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-10-06 8:36 pm   Permalink

couple problems with your velvet painting.

one, certain people here don't consider that painting "tiki", so don't expect to much help. So help identifying it may not happen.

two, years ago I spoke and did a deal with the super nice people that ran/run the black velvet museum. After the deal, I asked about some hibiscus paintings I have. They explained one of the biggest problems with black velvet art is that most is done by street painters and often in foreign countries. These artists are about making money, tourism, quick street sales, often they don't sign them, and very little is known about them. Outside of the famous ones, nobody really keeps track of these artists.

All that matters is YOU like it. Hang it up and Enjoy it man.....

View Profile of ErichTroudt Send a personal message to ErichTroudt  Email ErichTroudt     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tikifan1
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-10-06 8:37 pm   Permalink

I still think it's cool, gonna try to clean it. Maybe re-frame it myself.

Quote:

On 2013-10-06 20:34, Tikifan1 wrote:
I take that as an "It's ok to cut this outta the frame and use it as gift wrap!?!"

Quote:

On 2013-10-06 03:42, Atomic Tiki Punk wrote:

Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-10-06 9:09 pm   Permalink

ErichTroudt gave you the best answer I think you will get, many of these
simple works came from Vietnam & other Asian countries
and are exactly that, cheap tourist art.

That said, I would never advocate the disfiguring or destruction of any art
no matter how amateurish that work may be, you like it and you should enjoy it
there should also be no problem putting it in another frame that matches your taste.

View Profile of Atomic Tiki Punk Send a personal message to Atomic Tiki Punk      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tikifan1
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-10-07 8:15 pm   Permalink

I think it's pretty cool, I realize it's not exactly "tiki" but it is worthy of saving if I can. I'm not here to debate or inflame anyone's sense of authenticity. I just wanted to see if I could dig up some info. I appreciate the help.

nui 'umi 'umi
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-10-07 8:36 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-10-07 20:15, Tikifan1 wrote:
I think it's pretty cool, I realize it's not exactly "tiki" but it is worthy of saving if I can. I'm not here to debate or inflame anyone's sense of authenticity. I just wanted to see if I could dig up some info. I appreciate the help.

Tikifan1.
I’m not a moderator but if I were I would move this thread to" Beyond tiki”.
Nice velvet
Cheers

[ This Message was edited by: nui 'umi 'umi 2013-10-07 20:36 ]

View Profile of nui 'umi 'umi Send a personal message to nui 'umi 'umi  Email nui 'umi 'umi     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tikifan1
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-10-08 08:45 am   Permalink

Yes I agree, and I should have posted this in Beyond Tiki to begin with... If a moderator could move this it would be muchly appreciated. Mahalo!

Hakalugi
Site Administrator

Posted: 2013-10-08 09:43 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-10-08 08:45, Tikifan1 wrote:
Yes I agree, and I should have posted this in Beyond Tiki to begin with... If a moderator could move this it would be muchly appreciated. Mahalo!

Unfortunately Tiki Central is not designed to allow the splitting and merging of topics. You can bet though that if it was, I'd have a lot more work to do!

View Profile of Hakalugi Send a personal message to Hakalugi      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
nui 'umi 'umi
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-10-08 10:32 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-10-08 09:43, Hakalugi wrote:
Quote:

On 2013-10-08 08:45, Tikifan1 wrote:

Unfortunately Tiki Central is not designed to allow the splitting and merging of topics. You can bet though that if it was, I'd have a lot more work to do!

Haka, I certainly appreciate the effort you and the other moderators put forth-this is a very enjoyable and educational site.
Mahalo
David

[ This Message was edited by: nui 'umi 'umi 2013-10-08 10:33 ]

View Profile of nui 'umi 'umi Send a personal message to nui 'umi 'umi  Email nui 'umi 'umi     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ErichTroudt
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-10-25 12:38 am   Permalink

Okay, let me start by saying...I know this isn't "tiki", but I can't figure out what culture it is....

Doesn't seem to be quite right for Japan Noh, the old korean stuff usually have big teeth....

The bird on his head has me totally stumped.....

My buddy owns it, wants help identifying it....I know some of you study other cultures....

Any ideas?

View Profile of ErichTroudt Send a personal message to ErichTroudt  Email ErichTroudt     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-10-25 01:32 am   Permalink

Well it's eating a corn dog.....

lucas vigor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-10-25 06:50 am   Permalink

Malaysian?

View Profile of lucas vigor Send a personal message to lucas vigor      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hottiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-10-25 07:34 am   Permalink

By the looks of the Shaman raddles....Northwest Coast Indian Totem carving

View Profile of hottiki Send a personal message to hottiki  Email hottiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation