FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Collecting Tiki » » Help Identify, What Is This, Is This A? Thread
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 Next Page )
Help Identify, What Is This, Is This A? Thread
martinisandmore
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-11-16 2:42 pm   Permalink

Can anyone identify this tiki?or is it a backyard unknown carver?

View Profile of martinisandmore Send a personal message to martinisandmore  Goto the website of martinisandmore     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-11-16 3:34 pm   Permalink

It is a root Tiki, many are imported from Bali
from uncredited carvers most likely

carved from a root section or branch section of a tree.
Wes had some at the "House of Tiki" back in the day.

[ This Message was edited by: Atomic Tiki Punk 2013-11-20 14:23 ]

View Profile of Atomic Tiki Punk Send a personal message to Atomic Tiki Punk      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
martinisandmore
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-11-17 08:47 am   Permalink

Thanks for the info!

View Profile of martinisandmore Send a personal message to martinisandmore  Goto the website of martinisandmore     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
nui 'umi 'umi
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-11-18 2:37 pm   Permalink

Did quite a search on the gourd rattle. Found some similarities where I expected. Rattle could be African (what I first suspected), could be Pacific Islander (leaning towards Png). I’m fairly sure it’s not from the america’s. I have some Gabon masks that have beadwork sorta like the rattle and some png stuff that is very much like the rattle. The front view of the carved head looks “tiki” to me but the side view reminds me of african carvings I have seen. In any event, I’m keeping it as my tiki lounge is being influenced mightily by Trader Sam’s-they have a nice mix of tiki and “non-tiki” displayed.
Anyone know where I can get a shadowbox with giant scarab beetles? And where doe’s this "collecting” stop?
Opinions on the rattle are much appreciated.

View Profile of nui 'umi 'umi Send a personal message to nui 'umi 'umi  Email nui 'umi 'umi     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mudbone
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-11-20 11:56 am   Permalink

Do you think it's a dancing stick or a musical device?

View Profile of mudbone Send a personal message to mudbone  Email mudbone     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
nui 'umi 'umi
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-11-20 12:56 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-11-20 11:56, mudbone wrote:
Do you think it's a dancing stick or a musical device?

Mudbone, that’s a cool name!
Could be either of the two or even a ceremonial object. Now I can search some more with a few more different words.
Mahalo

View Profile of nui 'umi 'umi Send a personal message to nui 'umi 'umi  Email nui 'umi 'umi     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
FacesPlace
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-11-23 11:28 am   Permalink

So, not a soul can offer additional info?

View Profile of FacesPlace Send a personal message to FacesPlace      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AdOrAdam
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2013-11-23 12:18 pm   Permalink

Mr FacesPlaces,

Im no expert but I say PNG. Nice bits!

View Profile of AdOrAdam Send a personal message to AdOrAdam      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
FacesPlace
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-11-24 1:48 pm   Permalink

Yeah, I think PNG is on the money. Anyone have any idea what the "spear" type item might be?

View Profile of FacesPlace Send a personal message to FacesPlace      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
rustyblitzen

Posted: 2013-12-14 4:18 pm   Permalink

Hi All,
I'm new here, and I suppose this probably isn't the right place to ask, but I'm currently working on a project on Maori material culture for my university class. I've sent this picture to multiple Maori museums, and I haven't found any object quite like this object.
The bottom "fork" part is made from a human fibula, and the top is wood with paua (potentially) inlaid eyes.
From what I can distinguish is it might be a whakapokoko, but if anyone has any suggestions insight into this object, it would be much appreciated.

View Profile of rustyblitzen Send a personal message to rustyblitzen      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
nui 'umi 'umi
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-12-14 4:35 pm   Permalink

In the pic it appears there are some designs carved on the right hip and shoulders. If you can post more detail i’m sure one our members can steer you in the right direction.
Good luck and thanks for sharing.

[ This Message was edited by: nui 'umi 'umi 2013-12-14 16:50 ]

rustyblitzen

Posted: 2013-12-14 4:41 pm   Permalink

Thank you so much!
Here are some more photos of the piece from the sides and the bottom base.

View Profile of rustyblitzen Send a personal message to rustyblitzen      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
nui 'umi 'umi
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-12-14 5:04 pm   Permalink

Rusty,
The face reminds me of of those mass produced “warriors” from Indonesia that have flooded the market in various incarnations-Surfers, drummers, and a host of others. When I find mine I’ll post a pic.That said, I am positive yours is not one of em. Yours is pretty cool!
Maybe the junque Indonesian pieces were “inspired by pieces like yours.To my untrained eye the incisions on the hip and shoulders appear “Oceanic”. Are there “tatoos” on the face? That would certainly reinforce your suggestion that it may be a Whackapakoko.
I’m sure we’ll get some mo betta opinions soon. We’ll all learn something.
Nice piece

[ This Message was edited by: nui 'umi 'umi 2013-12-14 17:13 ]

[ This Message was edited by: nui 'umi 'umi 2013-12-14 17:23 ]

rustyblitzen

Posted: 2013-12-14 5:37 pm   Permalink

Thank you nui 'umi 'umi; my piece doesn't have any tribal tattoos on the face, only spirals on its thighs and legs, and is about 97cm tall. Most whakapokoko, through my research, do are not full representatives of the human, which places even more of a mystery on the production of this piece, as well as do not have a fork made from human bone, though there are reports of human bone forks with more than two prongs.
Also, the production of this piece seems to have been expertly crafted, which promotes even more questions than answers.
I'm not familiar with regional distinctions of Maori art style, but what is known, is that it was acquired in New Zealand and it's definitely of Maori origin..

bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-12-15 09:20 am   Permalink

Unquestioningly so..where did you get the term "whakapokoko" from? From this book? :

The Natural History of Man by J G Wood (George Routledge, 1870)

Thank you from making me aware of this book. The illustration above makes it sound like whakapokoko is an area, or a place, not a type of carving. I could not find the term in the online Maori dictionary, and have not seen it as a term in any Maori carving books before.

What was the response from the museums you sent it to? If they could not identify it because it has no equal in their Maori collections, it might be a tourist item.

What might be interesting is to compare it to other Polynesian culture groups' tools/utensils. One can make out the serrated edge on implements in this old postcard from Hawaii:

I have no idea though what they were used for, sorry.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation