FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Collecting Tiki » » Help Identify, What Is This, Is This A? Thread
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 Next Page )
Help Identify, What Is This, Is This A? Thread
MadDogMike
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2014-03-16 9:03 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2014-03-16 19:53, swizzle wrote:
... from the 60's or 70's though, so it does make it quite old.

Careful, that makes it younger than most of the people on this forum!

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hakalugi
Site Administrator

Posted: 2014-03-16 9:38 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2014-03-13 20:05, spy-tiki wrote:
Just trying again to see if there's any info about this. Recognize the type of figures? Is this style identified with a certain culture or island? Do you think it's just tourist crap?

Quote:

On 2013-09-29 16:19, spy-tiki wrote:
A friend of mine has this silk print. It's about 37"x59". His mom bought it for him about 2 decades ago when she was on a Hawaiian & Tahitian cruise. There doesn't seem to be an artist signature or any tag with a brand. Touristy kitsch or treasured artifact? Any ideas?

Nice!, no matter what kind of history is behind it, it has a nice Mary Blair feel to it.

View Profile of Hakalugi Send a personal message to Hakalugi      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tumatauenga
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2014-04-18 3:51 pm   Permalink

Any clue where the inspiration of this carving is from? Maybe an Austral Islands tiki?

View Profile of Tumatauenga Send a personal message to Tumatauenga  Email Tumatauenga     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Phillip Roberts
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-04-18 5:35 pm   Permalink

I'm not by my copy of Arts of Micronesia book right now, but I'd say Chuuk.

[ This Message was edited by: Phillip Roberts 2014-04-18 17:36 ]

View Profile of Phillip Roberts Send a personal message to Phillip Roberts  Email Phillip Roberts     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MidMod Vintage

Posted: 2014-04-21 5:27 pm   Permalink

Hey guys! I picked up a couple Sang Kung peanut tiki mug with jewel eyes. The Bottom is marked "Sang Kung A". I'm having trouble finding any info on it, and it's not on Ooga Mooga. Anyone have any ideas?

View Profile of MidMod Vintage Send a personal message to MidMod Vintage  Email MidMod Vintage Goto the website of MidMod Vintage     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jeffro Bodine

Posted: 2014-04-23 9:45 pm   Permalink

Hello,

My name is Jefferson. I have a tiki mask that my Great Uncle got in WWII. I don't know much about the origin of the mask or it's value. I have searched, but do not find any like it.

It was given to me as a gift several years ago and I am very proud to have it on my wall. Can anyone give me an idea of what I have? Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

View Profile of Jeffro Bodine Send a personal message to Jeffro Bodine      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-04-23 11:20 pm   Permalink

Welcome Jefferson, unfortunately what you have is not a "Tiki" mask
and is not based on any South Pacific/Polynesian influence
just in case your fucking with us, good one! but still not Tiki.
better luck next time.

View Profile of Atomic Tiki Punk Send a personal message to Atomic Tiki Punk      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jeffro Bodine

Posted: 2014-04-24 07:07 am   Permalink

Well, first off...I'm serious about trying to find out the origin of this mask. Second, I just shared the story told by my family...true or not. Third, I have found several masks of very similar style for sale that state they are Philippine Tiki masks. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Wood-Tiki-Mask-Tribal-Wall-Art-Decor-11-5-X-8-5-Made-in-Philippines-/151057332938
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Happy-Sad-Comedy-Tragedy-Alii-Woods-Tiki-Masks-Honolulu-Made-in-Philippines-/201071528810

I apologize to anyone thinking that I am wasting your time. I simply wanted to know what I have.

Thank you for any information you can give me, positive or negative.

View Profile of Jeffro Bodine Send a personal message to Jeffro Bodine      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
littlegiles
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-04-24 11:26 am   Permalink

Your mask could be a Tourist souvenir made in the Philippines. I could not provide any type of age or vintage info, however, you will find that those are not typically considered "Tiki" around here. If the mask was given to you as a gift from your family, just cherish it for what it is and accept that it isn't really Tiki.

- Dale

View Profile of littlegiles Send a personal message to littlegiles  Email littlegiles     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiTacky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-04-24 11:58 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2014-04-21 17:27, MidMod Vintage wrote:
Hey guys! I picked up a couple Sang Kung peanut tiki mug with jewel eyes. The Bottom is marked "Sang Kung A". I'm having trouble finding any info on it, and it's not on Ooga Mooga. Anyone have any ideas?

Sang Kung is a Chinese manufacturer and importer. They were producing the mugs using a mold of the original. It's not a vintage piece, and doesn't have much value I'm afraid.

View Profile of TikiTacky Send a personal message to TikiTacky  Goto the website of TikiTacky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-04-24 2:19 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2014-04-24 07:07, Jeffro Bodine wrote:
Well, first off...I'm serious about trying to find out the origin of this mask. Second, I just shared the story told by my family...true or not. Third, I have found several masks of very similar style for sale that state they are Philippine Tiki masks. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Wood-Tiki-Mask-Tribal-Wall-Art-Decor-11-5-X-8-5-Made-in-Philippines-/151057332938
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Happy-Sad-Comedy-Tragedy-Alii-Woods-Tiki-Masks-Honolulu-Made-in-Philippines-/201071528810

I apologize to anyone thinking that I am wasting your time. I simply wanted to know what I have.

Thank you for any information you can give me, positive or negative.

Please don't take my comments as an insult, we sometimes get folks posting as a joke
your mask does look like a Philippines carving, but is not Tiki in anyway
eBay is not the place to get accurate information on these kinds of items as 99 percent of the sellers
think any wood mask is a Tiki mask.

Just from your pictures the mask doesn't look as old as your being told it is, but that is just my informed opinion
these really starting showing up in the 1960s as tourist pieces carved in the Philippines and then imported
for sale to many countries, I would say you have one of the Comedy/Tragedy masks that normally came as a set.
Hey you like, enjoy it.

View Profile of Atomic Tiki Punk Send a personal message to Atomic Tiki Punk      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jeffro Bodine

Posted: 2014-04-25 07:18 am   Permalink

The patina is not right because the mask was in my Great Uncle's house when another room caught fire. When I inherited this piece, I cleaned off the smoke damage and put floor wax on the mask to protect the wood.

The mask was taken as a "war trophy" in WWII by my Great Uncle in the South Pacific...that's the family story. I have found similar masks from the Philippines, but none exactly like this one.

It just so happened that EBay (via a Google Image search)is the only place that I found similar looking masks, that's why I included the link to them...for you to see what I had to go by. I am not offended, but genuinely wanting to get a better understanding of what I have. I chose this source to reach out to for information because I felt that if enough educated eyes saw it, maybe I could get some good information.

I appreciate your candor and hope that I can get more information about this beautiful piece of my family history.

Jeffro Bodine

Posted: 2014-04-25 07:27 am   Permalink

[ This Message was edited by: Jeffro Bodine 2014-04-25 07:29 ]

Jeffro Bodine

Posted: 2014-04-25 07:31 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2014-04-24 11:26, littlegiles wrote:
Your mask could be a Tourist souvenir made in the Philippines. I could not provide any type of age or vintage info, however, you will find that those are not typically considered "Tiki" around here. If the mask was given to you as a gift from your family, just cherish it for what it is and accept that it isn't really Tiki.

- Dale

Thank you, Dale.

Tattoo
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2014-08-29 5:49 pm   Permalink

Need some help here. Recently acquired this, uhm, bowl or planter or hibachi or...

It's 4 1/2inches high and 4 inches in diameter. It's got a real cool lava rock type treatment to it. No markings.

Could be a planter but it doesn't have the hole in the bottom for the water.

Could be a hibachi but it doesn't have the opening on the bottom.

Could be a drinking bowl but the material is a bit odd for it and it's a bit deep for a bowl.

Any ideas????????

View Profile of Tattoo Send a personal message to Tattoo  Email Tattoo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation