FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Collecting Tiki Help Identify, What Is This, Is This A? Thread
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 Next Page )
Help Identify, What Is This, Is This A? Thread
Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-11-11 10:23 pm   Permalink

Looks African Pop Tiki, the markings on the top of the head look similar to "Zulu" tribal markings.

View Profile of Atomic Tiki Punk Send a personal message to Atomic Tiki Punk      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
nui 'umi 'umi
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-11-11 11:50 pm   Permalink

PT, That guy is from Indonesia. I got one in a San Clemente last summer. Mine is resin and I too thought that he was African til I saw the label. I mix and match my tiki stuff with other "primitive art" whenever it seems (imho) to fit. Hey Lance , good to see you at Arts celebration-wish I could have chatted with you. C-ya in December

View Profile of nui 'umi 'umi Send a personal message to nui 'umi 'umi  Email nui 'umi 'umi     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-11-12 12:32 am   Permalink

I thought that was you, David, but you were moving to fast.

View Profile of Atomic Tiki Punk Send a personal message to Atomic Tiki Punk      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Pittsburgh pauly
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-11-13 10:26 am   Permalink

Anyone know about this white and bamboo plaque?

View Profile of Pittsburgh pauly Send a personal message to Pittsburgh pauly  Goto the website of Pittsburgh pauly     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tumatauenga

Posted: 2012-11-13 1:41 pm   Permalink

Thanks Atomic and Nui 'umi 'umi. I thought he was probably not South Pacific per se but still liked his style. What about this monkey tiki looking lamp? There's a very similar carving on eBay (Guam Tiki) right now saying this style is from Guam.

View Profile of Tumatauenga Send a personal message to Tumatauenga  Email Tumatauenga     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Cavemoai
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2012-12-29 4:38 pm   Permalink

Here I go,

These look to be cast carnival glass? Cast from an OMC slender marquesan moai. They have marks from where the mold pieces came together.

Does anybody know anything about them?

Mahalo,

Thee Nocount

View Profile of Cavemoai Send a personal message to Cavemoai      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Cavemoai
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2012-12-29 4:49 pm   Permalink

Next is a Ku mug from Jimmie's in Cache Creek, BC Canada. I found this whole I was in Vancouver last June. The seller didn't know anything about it and I can't find any info online (TC or otherwise). It kinda looks like it may have been a stacker or something.

Mahalo,

Thee Nocount

View Profile of Cavemoai Send a personal message to Cavemoai      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Mr. NoNaMe
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-12-29 7:00 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2012-12-29 16:38, Cavemoai wrote:
Here I go,

These look to be cast carnival glass? Cast from an OMC slender marquesan moai. They have marks from where the mold pieces came together.

Does anybody know anything about them?

Mahalo,

Thee Nocount

These are from
Magic Sands Glass Studio .

View Profile of Mr. NoNaMe Send a personal message to Mr. NoNaMe      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Mr. NoNaMe
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-12-29 7:04 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2012-12-29 16:49, Cavemoai wrote:

Mahalo,

Thee Nocount

This could be a piece from Tildon Ware out of Canada. Just a guess though.

View Profile of Mr. NoNaMe Send a personal message to Mr. NoNaMe      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikijackalope
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-12-30 03:33 am   Permalink

Here are two pieces I wasn't able to buy at this past Summer, and which puzzle me to this day. The first is a very worn carving that looks like it may not have been finished; I think it was about 4' tall. This thing looks vaguely familiar as if I've seen something like it in a book:

And here is a deeply carved wood wall hanging. I liked this one, though I can't pin down the influence. My first thought was African but the headgear in the right hand figure looks a bit like that of a Kachina. I could never find the actual owner to get the price, and then it sold to someone. It looks like it might be a section of something larger:

Input on what either of these are?

View Profile of tikijackalope Send a personal message to tikijackalope  Email tikijackalope     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-12-30 03:56 am   Permalink

Wish I could be more help, but definitely not Tiki.

Cavemoai
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2012-12-30 08:56 am   Permalink

Thanks Mr. NoName!!

tikilongbeach
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2012-12-30 11:06 am   Permalink

Quote:

And here is a deeply carved wood wall hanging. I liked this one, though I can't pin down the influence. My first thought was African but the headgear in the right hand figure looks a bit like that of a Kachina. I could never find the actual owner to get the price, and then it sold to someone. It looks like it might be a section of something larger:

That's a storyboard, although I don't know the origin.

View Profile of tikilongbeach Send a personal message to tikilongbeach      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dagg
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-12-30 7:55 pm   Permalink

help a newbie out (again)

Tiki?

View Profile of Dagg Send a personal message to Dagg      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Mr. NoNaMe
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-12-31 07:36 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2012-12-30 19:55, Dagg wrote:
help a newbie out (again)

Tiki?

The piece on the left is possibly from the Asmat tribe of Papua (Dutch New Guinea or Irian Jaya) on the western half of New Guinea. Is it a vessel/bowl?
The piece on the right appears to be from Papua. More likely made further west into Indonesia for the tourist trade. The motifs on the front are very Asmat.
Typically, the western side of the island of New Guinea (Papua) makes more humanoid looking carvings. Whereas the eastern side (Papua New Guinea) makes more stylized and zoomorphic carvings.
The more humanoid the carving is the less tiki it would be considered. I would absolutely get the carving on the left because of how old it is even if it isn't considered tiki by some. It would fit in very well in a tiki bar. Or my collection.
Edit: This is an uneducated answer as I sit in front of one of my Tangaroa.
Edit2: And now I am changing my mind about the guy on the left. It could be from the Sepik Region on the Papua New Guinea side.

[ This Message was edited by: Mr. NoNaMe 2012-12-31 08:21 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Mr. NoNaMe 2012-12-31 15:59 ]

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation