FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Collecting Tiki Help Identify, What Is This, Is This A? Thread
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 Next Page )
Help Identify, What Is This, Is This A? Thread
Dagg
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-12-31 08:16 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2012-12-31 07:36, Mr. NoNaMe wrote:
Quote:

On 2012-12-30 19:55, Dagg wrote:
help a newbie out (again)

Tiki?

The piece on the left is possibly from the Asmat tribe of Papua (Dutch New Guinea or Irian Jaya) on the western half of New Guinea. Is it a vessel/bowl?
The piece on the right appears to be from Papua. More likely made further west into Indonesia for the tourist trade. The motifs on the front are very Asmat.
Typically, the western side of the island of New Guinea (Papua) makes more humanoid looking carvings. Whereas the eastern side (Papua New Guinea) makes more stylized and zoomorphic carvings.
The more humanoid the carving is the less tiki it would be considered. I would absolutely get the carving on the left because of how old it is even if it isn't considered tiki by some. It would fit in very well in a tiki bar. Or my collection.
Edit: This is an uneducated answer as I sit in front of one of my Tangaroa.

[ This Message was edited by: Mr. NoNaMe 2012-12-31 08:21 ]

sweet thanks for the info, my gut said png when I spotted it. Yes the thing on his head is a bowl/vessel
It stands appx 2.5-3' and is kind of light... He wants 50 bucks for it. Ill go back and get it today

Thanks again!
Darren

edit to add quote

[ This Message was edited by: Dagg 2012-12-31 10:01 ]

View Profile of Dagg Send a personal message to Dagg      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Mr. NoNaMe
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-12-31 10:31 am   Permalink

Quote:

sweet thanks for the info, my gut said png when I spotted it. Yes the thing on his head is a bowl/vessel
It stands appx 2.5-3' and is kind of light... He wants 50 bucks for it. Ill go back and get it today

Thanks again!
Darren

edit to add quote

[ This Message was edited by: Dagg 2012-12-31 10:01 ]

And now I am changing my mind about the guy on the left. It could be from the Sepik Region on the Papua New Guinea side.

View Profile of Mr. NoNaMe Send a personal message to Mr. NoNaMe      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dagg
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-12-31 10:35 am   Permalink

Im googling the crap out of both of these right now.. lol

The store has two more (human like) pieces that i think are definitely asmat. But I cant afford all of them right now.
But for 50 bucks ill grab the vessel one and figure out exactly what it is later

ok I bought it, he took 45 bucks no tax. Score!

[ This Message was edited by: Dagg 2012-12-31 10:36 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Dagg 2012-12-31 11:35 ]

View Profile of Dagg Send a personal message to Dagg      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
nui 'umi 'umi
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-12-31 10:07 pm   Permalink

Hey Dagg, I snagged this "chart" at a thrift store some years back. It's one of my most prized "tiki"finds. It hangs in a spare bedroom (very low light) that has evolved into a sitting room/tikiroom/study. I've never posted it cuz I don't want to damage it-I'm mister clumsy and I touch my favorite stuff as little as possible. With your recent inquiries on PNG items I thought that you might enjoy looking at this piece.Maybe Mr. N will be able to add to his considerable store of knowledge in regard to PNG and particularly Sepik River artifacts.I hope you fellas enjoy this post and if anyone has any questions about the descriptions that accompany each drawing I'd be glad to post em verbatim.
The chart is apprx. 30"x 20" and professionally framed. Sorry about the reflection/glare on the pix but I am reluctant to mess with this thing so I can't tell if it's a print or a drawing under the glass. Imho, I feel like it's probably from an anthropology class-but that's just a guess.

As it hangs in my tikiroom

top left corner

top center

top right

bottom right

botton center

Sorry, didn't get a bottom left or bottom center shot
Cheers

[ This Message was edited by: nui 'umi 'umi 2012-12-31 22:10 ]

View Profile of nui 'umi 'umi Send a personal message to nui 'umi 'umi  Email nui 'umi 'umi     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dagg
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-12-31 10:32 pm   Permalink

Wow dude. Thanks for posting this. I'll try reading the details tomorrow when I'm sober.

Happy new year

[ This Message was edited by: Dagg 2013-01-01 11:07 ]

Dagg
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-01-01 8:08 pm   Permalink

Holy crap that took forever! I've spent the better part of the last day and a half researching this thing! (except for last night when I was drunk and posting stupid shit on the inter web)

Drum roll please.

I'm pretty sure it's a
Aibom meri from the Japandai village in the middle Sepik.

Here is one
http://www.addoway.com/viewad/Aibom-Meri-Statue-Handcarved-Coal-Carrier-Japandai-Oceanic-Art-Papua-Guinea-32A1-1560905

And one on TC
http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=14409&forum=5

And some info here (same verbiage as the TC linky...)
http://www.art-pacific.com/artifacts/nuguinea/sepikriv/sepikmid/japandai.htm

Phew it's not African!

tikilongbeach
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2013-01-15 09:38 am   Permalink

Any ideas on the origin of this? I like it, but I'm not sure if it's Polynesian, Micronesian, African or what.
It isn't my picture.

View Profile of tikilongbeach Send a personal message to tikilongbeach      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-01-15 12:22 pm   Permalink

It looks Indian (Hindi)?

View Profile of Atomic Tiki Punk Send a personal message to Atomic Tiki Punk      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Canvas
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-01-15 3:01 pm   Permalink

Hi there,

I'm new to this whole tiki thing, and know very little about it. I am not even sure if the carving that has sat at my door for the past 10 years is a tiki, but that is what I've been told it is. I'm keen to learn more, and have heard that different Gods can be represented in these carvings, and was wondering if anyone can tell me more about the one that I have? I think it's the most awesome piece of art everrrr. (see picture).

View Profile of Canvas Send a personal message to Canvas      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
nui 'umi 'umi
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-01-15 4:59 pm   Permalink

Canvas, Welcome to tiki central. That's a tiki indeed. Unfortunately, it's the "tiki of bad luck" Get rid of it quick. P M me for my address and send it asap!
Nice find Canvas. Many of us here would like for you to share more about this guy-demensions, where he might have come from,how you got him,etc. If there are marking's on the back or bottom please post pix.
mahalo

View Profile of nui 'umi 'umi Send a personal message to nui 'umi 'umi  Email nui 'umi 'umi     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-01-15 6:32 pm   Permalink

He came from Hawaii, most likely. Carved by members of a Samoan family, for the tourist trade. They are very prolific, these carvings have shown up at Pacific Islander fairs in L.A. too. They come in all shapes and sizes, I like their walking sticks and knife handles.

Yours has some different features, and a darker stain, it might be from an older generation.

[ This Message was edited by: bigbrotiki 2013-01-15 18:34 ]

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Canvas
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-01-15 6:48 pm   Permalink

He(?*) came from a garage sale here in Australia. It is an incredibly heavy carving, very heavy wood, hence the fact that he's lashed to the table. If it fell on anyone, there would be some serious injuries. It's about 1.5 meters tall. I plan to do some paintings based around it.

*I am not sure what words to use re: Tikis. In Australia, Aboriginal Art can be very spiritual/sacred and we are careful with terminology so as not to cause offence.

[ This Message was edited by: Canvas 2013-01-15 18:49 ]

View Profile of Canvas Send a personal message to Canvas      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-01-15 7:03 pm   Permalink

This site is all about the American version of Polynesian art and culture in the mid-20th Century - and its revival in the 90s and 2000s. It was a mainland fantasy detached from the actual Pacific islands, where one would have had to be more conscientious about the original cultures. It is not intentionally dis-respectful of them, but creatively free from worries about political correctness. One could say that its re-appreciation today celebrates the involuntary humor inherent in cultural fakery:

http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/about.php

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Canvas
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-01-15 7:47 pm   Permalink

Ah, cool. I guess if my tiki is made for the tourist trade, it's all good.

Shrivle

Posted: 2013-01-15 8:05 pm   Permalink

Anyone recognize this style of carving? or patterning? Was purchased in Rotorua, New Zealand. I think it's Maori but is not in the traditional Maori style.
Maybe it's from another Polynesian island. The eyes look like quartz shaped into 6 sided gems with a flat top. Carved from a dense light yellow wood that has a straight grain. Cheers

View Profile of Shrivle Send a personal message to Shrivle      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation