FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Collecting Tiki » » Help Identify, What Is This, Is This A? Thread
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 )
Help Identify, What Is This, Is This A? Thread
TikAndDestroy

Posted: 2018-03-11 11:14 am   Permalink

Flea market find in Connecticut. They said they got it at a place called the Islands/The Island/The Islander, but at no point did they identify it as "tiki" so I was able to snap it up for a song. It has "Rubens Originals" and a Made in Japan © Los Angeles sticker. They couldn't remember. Any ideas? I've trawled the threads for all three, but have found nothing. Hoping the resident geniuses here can help!

View Profile of TikAndDestroy Send a personal message to TikAndDestroy      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
coldwarspacemonkey
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2018-03-14 12:52 pm   Permalink

Hoping this is the correct thread for this. Commemorative Siesta Ware with “Florida Yacht Club” and “Trader Vics Party” embossed on the wood. Does anyone have any backstory on this? I know the Florida Yacht Club is here in Jacksonville. Did TV “cater” or host private events? I haven’t been able to find anything on Ooga-Mooga, online or using the search function here. Maybe some of the smart folks here have seen something similar. Thanks!

View Profile of coldwarspacemonkey Send a personal message to coldwarspacemonkey  Email coldwarspacemonkey     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikAndDestroy

Posted: 2018-03-28 8:24 pm   Permalink

Found this tall, slender amigo in San Diego this past weekend. Anybody seen him?

No makers marks, seems old. Scoured Ooga Mooga by ticking Tiki, Tiki and Green, but no luck.

Any help would be appreciated!

View Profile of TikAndDestroy Send a personal message to TikAndDestroy      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Cavemoai
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2018-03-29 07:31 am   Permalink

Here you go:

http://www.ooga-mooga.com/cgi-bin/all/mug.cgi?mode=view&mug_id=3639

View Profile of Cavemoai Send a personal message to Cavemoai      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikAndDestroy

Posted: 2018-03-29 08:01 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2018-03-29 07:31, Cavemoai wrote:
Here you go:

http://www.ooga-mooga.com/cgi-bin/all/mug.cgi?mode=view&mug_id=3639

You're amazing. Thank you!

Dasgoot

Posted: 18 days ago; 11:26 pm   Permalink

Any one recognize this manufacturer? It looks like this an Otagiri Ku Tiki knockoff covered in some sort of metallic glaze. (It's thick enough that I thought it was metal at first.) Found it in a random pile in a NY junk shop.

View Profile of Dasgoot Send a personal message to Dasgoot      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
HopeChest
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 17 days ago; 08:49 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2018-03-11 11:14, TikAndDestroy wrote:
Flea market find in Connecticut. They said they got it at a place called the Islands/The Island/The Islander, but at no point did they identify it as "tiki" so I was able to snap it up for a song. It has "Rubens Originals" and a Made in Japan © Los Angeles sticker. They couldn't remember. Any ideas? I've trawled the threads for all three, but have found nothing. Hoping the resident geniuses here can help!

I can place The Islander in Manchester, CT in 1977. Not much info out there on this one...

View Profile of HopeChest Send a personal message to HopeChest      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
HopeChest
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 17 days ago; 09:53 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2018-03-14 12:52, coldwarspacemonkey wrote:
Hoping this is the correct thread for this. Commemorative Siesta Ware with “Florida Yacht Club” and “Trader Vics Party” embossed on the wood. Does anyone have any backstory on this? I know the Florida Yacht Club is here in Jacksonville. Did TV “cater” or host private events? I haven’t been able to find anything on Ooga-Mooga, online or using the search function here. Maybe some of the smart folks here have seen something similar. Thanks!

Trader Vic did indeed host tons of events both private and public, like his Tiki Trophy Races. This one is kind of interesting, though - the "Trader Vic's Party" is actually an annual party that the Florida Yacht Club has been throwing since at least 1964. This year's party happens this month!

Furthermore, in the FYC's August 2012 newsletter their Commodore makes a very specific mention:

Though there were no pics, I would be really, really surprised if those weren't the same cups.

The one thing I am unable to suss out is if Trader Vic himself was actually, legitimately involved initially or if they simply used his name, i.e. Trader Vic's Party to signify Tiki Party. I do like that the "Trader Vic's Party" lettering on your cups is reminiscent of the lettering on other TV's stuff like the record with Bing Crosby and various Honolulu items.

View Profile of HopeChest Send a personal message to HopeChest      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2018 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation