FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Tiki Marketplace » » ebay: Now on ebay - Trader Vic's Hibachi Kit - new in box
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
ebay: Now on ebay - Trader Vic's Hibachi Kit - new in box
mymotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-07-04 03:08 am   Permalink

I tell you what mittengirl, you can pay for an account called worthpoint. Do your research there. Somebody once said to me, even after I had been coming in here for at least 4 years and I asked a question of value on a carved ku from the late 50's and someone said to me "you will get paid what someone is willing to pay you, that's what it's worth. The reason for me was not to sell it but to tell this old guy what it was worth so he would get it out of the sun. He understands value. You will have to do your own research.

View Profile of mymotiki Send a personal message to mymotiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sophista-tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-07-04 06:04 am   Permalink

again Im putting in my 2 bucks worth, because thats my magic price and I want one of those.

View Profile of Sophista-tiki Send a personal message to Sophista-tiki  Email Sophista-tiki Goto the website of Sophista-tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
blacklagoon
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2012-07-04 07:51 am   Permalink

Well I for one would like to see pictures. As a Trader Vic's collector that is one piece I do not own. You can contact me privately and I'll gladly make you and offer or email me.

I fail to see what helping someone with a price regardless of their post count has to do with anything. It's rude and elitist and just about everything you hear about this forum from most collectors.

Paul

sales@lucasfrancisstudio.com

View Profile of blacklagoon Send a personal message to blacklagoon  Email blacklagoon Goto the website of blacklagoon     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
OnlyATikiLad
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-07-04 09:08 am   Permalink

I commented on this because I find the replies to these kinds of post mildly interesting and informative and I tire of having to skim past all the holier-than-thou crap. It is easy to spot the ill-intentioned postings, ignore them and move on. News flash, they are never going away.
I am assuming this a very well intentioned person looking for a little information. What kind of research would you like them to do? and don’t tell me “use the search feature” maybe they have.
A google search of “tiki” will consistently come up with a link to tiki central as a top ten result. A layperson doing “their own research” is inevitably going to end up on tiki central and what does it matter their degree of interest in tiki? Is there a minimum standard? Are you the judge? Maybe in coming here, they will have a nice experience, poke around a bit, kick the tires, become more interested in tiki or even make a purchase. Plenty of people here enjoy offering their “expertise” on subjects like this and will happily offer it even when repetitive. If you have “no interest in assisting someone” why not just ignore the post? Why dump on someone and cause them to go away thinking “tiki = assholes”

Might as well go off on a tangent here regarding your wonderful tiki space you have created and I personally like it very much. With your use of skull heads, surfboards, solar tiki torches, African animal print and tiki with the sacrilege pineapple carved forehead are you really “preserving a particular time and place in our history” or adding to it’s dilution? There is a large contingent here that would affirm the latter and I would hope they refrain from dumping on you for that.
Remember this is the web; normal rules do not apply here. People are living very fast paced lives “Introductions” and “Pleasantries” are readily available during high tea at Bellagio. Thank you for playing

View Profile of OnlyATikiLad Send a personal message to OnlyATikiLad      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
happy buddha
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-07-04 09:35 am   Permalink

I feel like this site is the face of the 'tiki collecting community' for most people out there.

I collect more things than tiki, and when I have a question that I can't answer through a web search, I typically go to a forum & ask a question. I rarely have time to spend an hour trying to figure out the forum's 'etiquette', I just ask. More often than not, people are anxious to answer questions about things they are passionate about, and eager to help someone who could potentially share the same interest. It doesn't seem that way here.

I'm not sure why anyone here would be surprised that collectors want to know how much their treasures are worth. It doesn't make them a flipper, or a money-grubber, or even mean they want to sell anything. It's just part of the fun of collecting, like poring over price guides.

I certainly don't want to offend anyone; I respect everyones right to an opinion, but this site isn't anyones 'lawn'. It's an informational site on the Internet, and belongs to the first-time poster just as much as someone who posts every day. If we chase away all newcomers w/ a genuine interest, then it becomes the same ten people talking about the matchbooks they found at the flea market on sunday. And doesn't that do us all a disservice?

Again, I say all of this in respect to the site that all of us clearly love, regardless of how we defend it.

View Profile of happy buddha Send a personal message to happy buddha  Goto the website of happy buddha     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kiwi Steve
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-07-04 09:57 am   Permalink

Amen! and I'm not even religious! Haha! Talk about manners... Why not stay with GOOD manners? Always. I don't know what her intent was, but why not find out before assuming the worst? Like someone stated earlier, maybe she did do a lot of research and didn't find anything out? Is she just supposed to stop searching? This website is here to help tikiphiles. I do agree with doing one's own research, but if one hit's a blockade, why not help? I'm a newbie and I'm VERY THANKFUL for all of the Tiki Central members who have given me priceless information that I wouldn't have found otherwise.

View Profile of Kiwi Steve Send a personal message to Kiwi Steve      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikigreg
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-07-04 11:00 am   Permalink

I'm all for good manners, which is the original point of the replies to this thread. Tiki Central is a community, meaning we get to know each other, and then ask questions to enrich our knowledge. In a nutshell, Tiki Central is meant to be more like Tiki Wikipedia, and nothing like Antiques Roadshow.

View Profile of tikigreg Send a personal message to tikigreg      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-07-04 11:58 am   Permalink

Great! now we are talking, Disagree with me all you want, I don't make the rules for anyone here
I am glad you are getting engaged now, Happy to see other opinions, Keep it up!

But mittengirl made it quite clear in her first post that she is not a collector
& she just wanted a price so she can sell the item on eBay.

My one main point is "Please have some interest in Tiki" I am all about helping out
someone who wants to learn about it or who collects for themselves.

And speaking of manners, The least mittengirl could of done is offer it to one of you for sale
as TC is where a most likely buyer would be found, But no?

And who do you think is driving up the prices of mugs, ephemera etc.
So many of us "collectors" can no longer afford to collect them?

View Profile of Atomic Tiki Punk Send a personal message to Atomic Tiki Punk      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bora Boris
Mr. Unreasonable

Posted: 2012-07-04 12:01 pm   Permalink

Honestly I think the best way to deal with these type of posts would be to answer the question as honestly as possible, short and simple. I'd guess that rarely are the people looking for answers thrilled with the accurate answers they receive and I doubt they're looking for insurance appraisals. Like Tikigreg said this isn't Antiques Roadshow and the last time there was something Tiki on Antiques Roadshow they struggled with pricing it.

However there is no reason why this post should span 2 pages. So what's a Trader Vic's Hibachi Kit worth? Maybe $35.00 to 60.00? I think $40.00 would be as high as I'd go if I were looking for one. Pictures should always be included in these types of posts, it's helpful but even without pictures someone could send you a PM if they're interested.

In the future my answer to these posts will be "Start your ebay auction at $5.00 and hope for the best." It's short, simple, honest and only mildly sarcastic.

View Profile of Bora Boris Send a personal message to Bora Boris      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
KittyKat65
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2012-07-04 12:21 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2012-07-04 09:08, OnlyATikiLad wrote:
I commented on this because I find the replies to these kinds of post mildly interesting and informative and I tire of having to skim past all the holier-than-thou crap. It is easy to spot the ill-intentioned postings, ignore them and move on. News flash, they are never going away.
I am assuming this a very well intentioned person looking for a little information. What kind of research would you like them to do? and don’t tell me “use the search feature” maybe they have.
A google search of “tiki” will consistently come up with a link to tiki central as a top ten result. A layperson doing “their own research” is inevitably going to end up on tiki central and what does it matter their degree of interest in tiki? Is there a minimum standard? Are you the judge? Maybe in coming here, they will have a nice experience, poke around a bit, kick the tires, become more interested in tiki or even make a purchase. Plenty of people here enjoy offering their “expertise” on subjects like this and will happily offer it even when repetitive. If you have “no interest in assisting someone” why not just ignore the post? Why dump on someone and cause them to go away thinking “tiki = assholes”

Might as well go off on a tangent here regarding your wonderful tiki space you have created and I personally like it very much. With your use of skull heads, surfboards, solar tiki torches, African animal print and tiki with the sacrilege pineapple carved forehead are you really “preserving a particular time and place in our history” or adding to it’s dilution? There is a large contingent here that would affirm the latter and I would hope they refrain from dumping on you for that.
Remember this is the web; normal rules do not apply here. People are living very fast paced lives “Introductions” and “Pleasantries” are readily available during high tea at Bellagio. Thank you for playing

Thanks for this.

I joined TC a few months ago as a complete newbie to tiki - thankfully I dodged a bullet by introducing myself first - but have seen so many people just jumped on and their items insulted. And, yeah, I do love my new collecting hobby and have amassed quite a number of tiki items, but I'll be damned if I'd ever want to have a drink with half of the people on here. The purists, the "real" collectors, the ones "preserving tiki" seem like a bunch of elitists and I don't really tolerate snobs. Tiki is new to me, but as far as collecting is concerned I have been a hardcore collector of '60s punk and freakbeat for 25+ years and I have never seen the snobbery in that collecting area that I do here.

And, yeah, sometimes using the search function doesn't yield the results we want and/or need, so where is the harm in asking?

View Profile of KittyKat65 Send a personal message to KittyKat65      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
blacklagoon
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2012-07-04 1:40 pm   Permalink

Good on you KK,

And if you can post some pics, I would appreciate it even if it's not for sale.

I find most of my stuff in the wild and we produce Tiki mugs as well. You have to get out there and beat the bushes, I find ultra rare stuff for pennies on the dollar. Don't sit around bitching about prices if you aren't even willing to look.

The elitist attitude is rampant on this forum and at the tiki shows. Everyone is an expert on what's tiki, if you love tiki it's what you make it!

Paul

http://www.lucasfrancisstudio.com

http://www.ooga-mooga.com/cgi-bin/my/collection.cgi?mode=gallery

[ This Message was edited by: blacklagoon 2012-07-04 13:41 ]

View Profile of blacklagoon Send a personal message to blacklagoon  Email blacklagoon Goto the website of blacklagoon     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
KittyKat65
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2012-07-04 4:40 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2012-07-04 13:40, blacklagoon wrote:
Good on you KK,

And if you can post some pics, I would appreciate it even if it's not for sale.

Will do. I like my little collection; it's coming along and I have a few key pieces. I will upload to Ooga Mooga tonight.

One month ago this was my son's playroom that he outgrew and I decided to take over. What is not visible (or remotely Tiki) is the 50" TV that I now get to watch whilst sipping cocktails in my sanctuary

View Profile of KittyKat65 Send a personal message to KittyKat65      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-07-04 5:16 pm   Permalink

Looks Nice! why not post it on the "Home Tiki Bar" thread
where you can update, As you add to it,I hope you have a name for the lounge?

View Profile of Atomic Tiki Punk Send a personal message to Atomic Tiki Punk      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mymotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-07-04 5:25 pm   Permalink

Dear kittykat65, I really love the decor you have. The furniture is fantastic! What a nice sanctuary to relax in. I think the lamp is soo cool looking.

View Profile of mymotiki Send a personal message to mymotiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
KittyKat65
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2012-07-04 5:55 pm   Permalink

Thank you very much for your compliments. It really is a cosy little space.

I am glad you like the lamp. It was on eBay for a long time before I made an offer that was accepted. It arrived and half the head had broken off along with the light fixture. I repaired the head myself with an epoxy putty and acrylic paint and had a professional put in a new socket and she is good as new. The furniture was also an eBay find that has a story. The person I bought it from is in Dallas and rather than shipping through a carrier bought the furniture a ticket on a Greyhound bus. It was delivered to the side of the road, where it was discovered by a good samaritan who called me since my phone number was on it. It was also described as "mint", but was far from it. I ended up sanding off all the layers of varnish, dirt and spiders and revarnishing. I think it turned out great in the end.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2018 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation