FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Beyond Tiki Never turn something you love into a job...
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
Never turn something you love into a job...
RevBambooBen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-06-20 9:55 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2003-06-20 16:47, Swanky wrote:
Oh, and before you get to thinking it, I didn't start this thread for people to heap praise on me. I appreciate the listeners and the folks coming to the site and to the event and everything. I'm just telling my feelings, and obviously folks can relate. And your advice has been good.

Swanky, thak you very much for creating this topic. I feel like I got a few more years in me now. Thanks again!

View Profile of RevBambooBen Send a personal message to RevBambooBen  Email RevBambooBen Goto the website of RevBambooBen     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikichic
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-06-21 01:47 am   Permalink

Just to put a little different slant on this, remember that you sometimes have to do things you don't like to have things you do like. Such as, you might not like getting up everyday and going to work however getting your paycheck then in turn buys you things you do like! Such as tiki mugs, vacations, Mondo Tiki, etc. That, for me, puts everything into perspective.

View Profile of tikichic Send a personal message to tikichic      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Geeky Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-06-21 10:09 am   Permalink

I hear ya on that man, I got MARRIED.

Kidding.

View Profile of Geeky Tiki Send a personal message to Geeky Tiki  Email Geeky Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kailuageoff
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-06-22 07:12 am   Permalink

A more western take on this is to practice moderation in all things. That includes work and hobbies.
I watched in horror as my parents became consumed by showing and breeding purebreed dogs when I was in my late teens, and saw all of the nasty rivalries that cropped up, the petty jealousies that created hard feelings among various people they knew, and even saw foolish financial decisions of people that got too consumed with their show dog hobby to the point of ending marriages.
I'm sure some of it was because these people - and even my parents at times -- were unhappy with some other aspect of their lives -- and they thought their hobby could change some or all of that. The natural desire many of us have to be the best and do it all can also unintentionally ruin us or harm others if we take it too far.
That's not to say we shouldn't pursue our passions, but we have to always be careful not to let our passions run away with us. And, it also means that if some other part of life isn't working for you -- your job, your kids, your spouse, where you live -- take time away from your hobbies and try to fix that. Your hobby -- whether it is tiki, or whatever else -- will be more pleasurable for yourself and others, if you are basically at peace with the rest of your life, or at least as close to peace as you can reasonably get.
Maybe what I'm saying here is obvious to everyone, but as I still have to remind myself sometimes to ease up on the tiki thing, I thought it worth mentioning.

View Profile of Kailuageoff Send a personal message to Kailuageoff  Email Kailuageoff     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Boob
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2003-06-22 09:26 am   Permalink

Cheers!

View Profile of Boob Send a personal message to Boob      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation