FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Other Crafts Whystler's WIP Thread (cannibals printed and based)
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
Whystler's WIP Thread (cannibals printed and based)
Whystler
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2012-07-07 7:37 pm   Permalink

Hello!

I started this thread to talk about a particular piece, but I'm noticing that a lot of artists here have a thread dedicated to their works in progress (WIP) and likewise in the gallery. So I've converted this into a WIP thread for me to show you what I'm working on.

Enjoy!

-Whystler

The First Post:

Hey hey,

I'm making some designs that will be suitable for a plushie pillow and also used as the basis for a digital sculpture that I'll print with my 3d printer and then finish and paint by hand.

Here's the first try - I would appreciate your crits I designed it in inkscape, which is a vector drawing program.

-Whystler

[ This Message was edited by: Whystler 2012-07-08 18:43 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Whystler 2012-07-09 18:53 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Whystler 2012-07-10 22:54 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Whystler 2012-07-12 18:42 ]

View Profile of Whystler Send a personal message to Whystler      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Whystler
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2012-07-07 10:22 pm   Permalink

Using the above image as a guide, I have sculpted this pendant in a 3d program. I also gave it a few vertical cracks for age. Here is a render of the file:

-Whystler

View Profile of Whystler Send a personal message to Whystler      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Whystler
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2012-07-08 08:58 am   Permalink

I did some printing tests, and found that the pendant is too small overall for good detail to come out with the 3d print. So, I resized the piece, which cut off some of the design from the pendant, but I think it's ok. I wanted to stop it from looking squished, and yet still have it be big enough for detail and not overly tall for a pendant. Here is the render. The piece is printing now...

-Whystler

Whystler
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2012-07-08 11:35 am   Permalink

Here are a couple of pictures of the 3d print before painting.

This it the piece, cleaned, but in a raw abs plastic state. I have it ready to be coated with ivory matt spray paint.

And here it is after the spray painting. You can see a lot more detail here.

I'll paint this and see what it looks like. If it looks too rough after I'm done, I can change the layer printing setting. I printed this at .3mm layers. I can try and print it at .2mm as this is the finest for my printer. Otherwise, I may have to polish it before painting.

-Whystler

danlovestikis
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2012-07-08 12:09 pm   Permalink

I am fascinated by your step by steps but I don't understand how you did all of this.

1. Drew a tiki on the computer and colored it with a computer program?

2. Sculpted it in clay or within the computer?

3. Sculpted by hand in wax?

4. Wax or??? is spray painted?

It all looks very good. I'd love to understand what's happening here. Wendy

View Profile of danlovestikis Send a personal message to danlovestikis      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2012-07-08 12:22 pm   Permalink

Wendy, it's built up (opposite of carved) by the computer out of plastic but I'll let Whytler explain it. I had to look it up yesterday to see how it works

Whyster, do you do some sort of business work with a 3D printer or is it strictly for hobby and recreation?

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Whystler
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2012-07-08 1:52 pm   Permalink

Hey hey Thanks for the questions!

I am a 3d artist fulltime for a living. I create objects in a 3d program (the program I use is called 3D Studio Max, but there are many programs out there for sculpting digitally in 3D). When I design on the computer, there are a lot of different tools that can be used. Many of them are like traditional carving tools that deposit volume onto a form .. or carve it away. Other tools allow you to build up with different 3d shapes to work up an object. And there are still many more shapes. You can think about it like using photoshop or another image program, but in 3D.

I most often create art for games and virtual worlds, but I also design in such a way that my work can be built by a special machine that creates a real life 3d object from a digital file: a 3D Printer.

3D printers generally work by slicing your digital file up into a number of horizantal crossections. Each crossection is printed as a layer by the printer. ... layer upon layer, until the object is finished. There are different kinds of printers that use powder or plastic in different ways to create layers.

My printer is fed a plastic filament (sometimes ABS, and sometimes I can use PLA which us a plastic made from corn) and the filament is extruded into a very fine thread (like a glue gun, but in this case it's between .2 and .4 mm thick) that is drawn onto a plate. The plate is lowered after the crossection is drawn, and then the next layer is drawn on top of the previous. On it goes - so on and so on, until an object is built.

And when it is finished, I remove it from the plate, carve off any support material and then go on to a number of other tasks like polishing or painting.

Here is a link to a printer like mine, printing an object:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GoVUuJVgoYY

Hope this helps you understand!

-Whystler

Whystler
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2012-07-08 2:20 pm   Permalink

Here is the colour work. I don't know why I'm posting this part - It's not finished. But it's fun to show the process. This is the stage before I antique it. The painting looks a bit crappy at this point, but so far it's always looked fab after antiqueing. Hope it will be this time too!

-Whystler

SandraDee
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-07-08 2:26 pm   Permalink

pretty cool

love how technology enhances an artist's capabilities these days

cool process

View Profile of SandraDee Send a personal message to SandraDee      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VampiressRN
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2012-07-08 2:29 pm   Permalink

Wow, the process is interesting. I wasn't sure where you were going with this at first, but have been watching. Would like to see this in antique browns or creme colored (like bone). Great job...thanks for sharing.

View Profile of VampiressRN Send a personal message to VampiressRN  Email VampiressRN Goto the website of VampiressRN     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2012-07-08 2:54 pm   Permalink

Hey Whystler, where are you located? I noticed the "colour" spelling and was curious

PS - I sent you a private message earlier, it's the little flashing red envelope in the upper right of the screen

[ This Message was edited by: MadDogMike 2012-07-08 14:57 ]

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Whystler
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2012-07-08 3:39 pm   Permalink

Hiya MadDogMike!

Thanks for the message - that's really great advice I am from Canada in Guelph Ontario.

-Whystler

Whystler
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2012-07-08 4:11 pm   Permalink

This is very close to final ... all antiqued for a warmer, aged tone.

-Whystler

bavtech
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2012-07-08 8:20 pm   Permalink

I have been fascinated by 3d printing but just have not had the funds to make or buy one.

What model of printer do you use?

That is really nice item you put out and really show what can be done.

View Profile of bavtech Send a personal message to bavtech  Email bavtech Goto the website of bavtech     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Whystler
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2012-07-09 07:50 am   Permalink

Hey Bavtech

I use a printer, like the one in the video I posted above. It's called an UP! by PP3dP.

Thanks for yor kind words!

-Whystler

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation