FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Events California Events Router Carving Day- October 13th 2012 - Vista, CA-UPDATED with Photos
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
Router Carving Day- October 13th 2012 - Vista, CA-UPDATED with Photos
Monkeyman
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-10-12 12:47 pm   Permalink

See you all in the morning.

We are ready.

Were doing up an Octoberfest lunch with Brats, Kraut, Potatoes and Octoberfest Beer.

View Profile of Monkeyman Send a personal message to Monkeyman  Email Monkeyman     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-10-12 1:05 pm   Permalink

Glad you are doing this. Looks like a fun day.

I would recommend getting a router with a 1/2 shaft as you can still use it for 1/4 inch bits too. The stuff I did I ended up using a large round bit that only came in 1/2 shaft.

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Monkeyman
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-10-12 1:45 pm   Permalink

The routers I use all have a 1/2" collect with an insert to use 1/4" as well.

View Profile of Monkeyman Send a personal message to Monkeyman  Email Monkeyman     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Monkeyman
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-10-14 12:11 pm   Permalink

We staked the tables to the ground so that they wouldnt move and rock

Marion's Shag inspired design.

Its not a sweatshop. I swear.

Moai Mike's trim work in full effect.

Tiki Pops getting started.

No one can escape the sawdust.

MaukaHale

Marion in a moment of focus.

We broke for lunch mid day. Brats, Fantastic German Potato salad from Roxanne and Octoberfest beer.

We were attacked by a teenage Werewolf shortly after lunch.

Fortunately we had an guard dog who could lick the Werewolf into submission

Mauka Hale's sign almost done with carving and router work.

Moai Mike

Me helping out with some of the chisel work

Tiki Pops in progress

Brads sign after router work is complete

Maukahale painting his sign

Brad adding paint

Moai Mikes bundle of trim. Ahh... tiki goodness.

Marion applying stain

Marion's finished piece

MaukaHale's finished work

Roxanne and Moai Mike Supervising

Painted and stained and waiting for clearcoat to dry.

Brad and Marion with their finished pieces

MaukaHale

Tiki Pops just before paint and Stain

Tiki Pops sign almost finished.

Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-10-14 12:26 pm   Permalink

Thanks for this post guys! great to see everyone being creative
And what a great idea for a get together, this is something anyone can organize
in any part of the Tiki world!

While everyone is doing good work I have to say I like Tiki Pops choice of colors.

[ This Message was edited by: Atomic Tiki Punk 2012-10-14 12:27 ]

View Profile of Atomic Tiki Punk Send a personal message to Atomic Tiki Punk      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
marion-n-brad
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2012-10-14 8:48 pm   Permalink

This was a great class, big thanks to Derek and Roxanne for putting it on! I consider myself the "least artistic man in the world" and with Derek's infinite patience and his constant pep-talks, and Roxanne's awesome lunch, i made my first piece of art ever! I'm pretty damn proud of myself! Marion and i had a great time and can't wait to get our router back out and make some more cool stuff.
Can't wait for the next class!
~Brad

View Profile of marion-n-brad Send a personal message to marion-n-brad      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bora Boris
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-10-14 8:51 pm   Permalink

If and when there's another one, I'd like to come down.

View Profile of Bora Boris Send a personal message to Bora Boris      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiPops
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-10-14 9:06 pm   Permalink

What great day this was. I'd like to thank Derek for his pointers on router technique & his attention to detail in putting on a great class. Roxanne's lunch was off the hook. The potato salad & banana bread was awesome. All of the fellow router newbies were great. It was nice to meet all of you, even if we worked more than visit. I'll gladly attend another class, of any type, put on by Derek.
Thanks, Mike

View Profile of TikiPops Send a personal message to TikiPops  Email TikiPops     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-10-14 10:19 pm   Permalink

Whoaah, nice job everybody!

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2012-10-15 05:56 am   Permalink

Beautiful work from everyone! Derek, the tables were ingenious! Where do you find clear pine like that? The "clear" pine at Lowe's has more knots than a macrame hammock!

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Monkeyman
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-10-15 07:42 am   Permalink

The wood was from Lowes.

I go through the entire stack if necessary to find the best pieces.

Moai Mike
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2012-10-16 07:17 am   Permalink

Thanks to Derek and Roxanne for hosting the router class. It was a very fun and productive day! You both put a lot into it. Everybodys work turned out great and it was not hard to do, just a long time holding a router. Since mine is still a work in progress I will post photos of it when it is finished. Thanks again to Derek, Roxanne and all who participated.

View Profile of Moai Mike Send a personal message to Moai Mike      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MaukaHale
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-10-16 09:53 am   Permalink

A Big Mahalo to Monkeyman and Goddess-Sunb for a great day. Seldom do I meet people as kind and sharing as these two. My comment is the same: a lot learned but I wish there had been more time to be more social. The day went by too fast.

I now have a lot ahead of me to continue with the router for the "Aloha Theater and Tiki Bar."

Here are a few pictures that don't duplicate those already posted.

"People are like islands. You have to get close to them to know what they are about."
~ Adam Troy

View Profile of MaukaHale Send a personal message to MaukaHale  Email MaukaHale     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Moai Mike
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2012-11-11 09:14 am   Permalink

I have finally gotten my project to a point that I feel I can share it with all of you. My idea was to build light boxes that would serve as shelves upon which I could display some of my cocktail glasses, bottles, swizzle sticks and other things that would be illuminated by up lighting. I built the boxes with a shelf inside to hold a neon light fixture and drilled a hole and routed a channel in the back to run the wiring. I painted the boxes in the hopes of making them look like something from PNG. Maybe I should have thinned the paint more to make it look more like stain. Since they are attached to the wall behind the bar I am thinking of putting bamboo poles and fish netting over them so I don't knock everything off during a cocktail mixing frenzy.

View Profile of Moai Mike Send a personal message to Moai Mike      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Moai Mike
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2012-11-11 09:14 am   Permalink

I have finally gotten my project to a point that I feel I can share it with all of you. My idea was to build light boxes that would serve as shelves upon which I could display some of my cocktail glasses, bottles, swizzle sticks and other things that would be illuminated by up lighting. I built the boxes with a shelf inside to hold a neon light fixture and drilled a hole and routed a channel in the back to run the wiring. I painted the boxes in the hopes of making them look like something from PNG. Maybe I should have thinned the paint more to make it look more like stain. Since they are attached to the wall behind the bar I am thinking of putting bamboo poles and fish netting over them so I don't knock everything off during a cocktail mixing frenzy.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation