FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Events California Events 2012 Sacramento Capital Tiki Living Space Tour (Oct 12,13,14) PICTURES start pg6
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
2012 Sacramento Capital Tiki Living Space Tour (Oct 12,13,14) PICTURES start pg6
alohacurrent
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-07-19 7:08 pm   Permalink

[ This Message was edited by: alohacurrent 2012-07-19 22:23 ]

View Profile of alohacurrent Send a personal message to alohacurrent  Email alohacurrent     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
danlovestikis
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2012-07-20 07:44 am   Permalink

Hi friends, for the back of the mug I've copied the matchbook. I have to pull objects closer together so that molding will work.

I'm fine tuning the front as I go.

I can see that the shape of the huge lei is off, I'll fix it some. Again I've compressed for molding. Here I had to put the West on top of Sacramento.

My plan with this mug is to hand carve tapa down the sides and across the bottom under the hut. Each mug will be done by hand so there will be variations. I will also add the lei around her neck before firing. Once the base glaze is finished I'll hand paint each mug adding background color and the woman's face. Busy busy busy. Cheers, Wendy

View Profile of danlovestikis Send a personal message to danlovestikis      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Brenda's Tiki Hut
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-07-20 12:07 pm   Permalink

Wonderful work, Wendy! Looking forward to the drinking out of the finished product.

View Profile of Brenda's Tiki Hut Send a personal message to Brenda's Tiki Hut  Email Brenda's Tiki Hut     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
LiddleLola
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-07-20 12:56 pm   Permalink

Oh I will need one of those myself.
Looking great Wendy.

Darilyn

View Profile of LiddleLola Send a personal message to LiddleLola      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
The Blue Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-07-20 3:09 pm   Permalink

Oh, magnifique, can't wait . . . here we go again with the anticipation thing! Looking goooooood Wendy!

View Profile of The Blue Kahuna Send a personal message to The Blue Kahuna      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thequin
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2012-07-20 4:44 pm   Permalink

Tiki Tonja and Tiki Fig plan on attending. Wendy, please sign us up for one of your great creations!

Bill

View Profile of thequin Send a personal message to thequin  Email thequin     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
danlovestikis
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2012-07-21 3:31 pm   Permalink

Just a touch more carving to match the match book. Cheers, Wendy

View Profile of danlovestikis Send a personal message to danlovestikis      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
danlovestikis
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2012-07-27 3:44 pm   Permalink

The mug master successfully fired. Next up making the molds.

I will add a lot of hand carving and painting to this mug to jazz it up.

Cheers, Wendy

PS Marlene could you add to the header that I'm taking orders by messages here or PM's. I need to know how many to make.

bavtech
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2012-07-27 10:36 pm   Permalink

Hi Everyone.... Me and my wife would love plan to attend the crawl. Put us on the list Marlene.

Wendy... You know to put my name down for one of mugs!

View Profile of bavtech Send a personal message to bavtech  Email bavtech Goto the website of bavtech     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
rugbymatt
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-07-27 11:01 pm   Permalink

Wendy,please put me down for a mug this year. Mahalo

View Profile of rugbymatt Send a personal message to rugbymatt  Email rugbymatt     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
rugbymatt
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-07-27 11:02 pm   Permalink

Wendy,please put me down for a mug this year. Mahalo

View Profile of rugbymatt Send a personal message to rugbymatt  Email rugbymatt     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
danlovestikis
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2012-07-28 08:33 am   Permalink

Thank you Matt and Nelson, I've added your names. Wendy

Progress Report:

Yesterday while the kiln fired we worked on making two molds of the Sacramento Ohana crawl mug due in October.

I took a short cut using the blank mold to hold the bisque hardened master mug.

Next after deciding where the widest point of the mug was and drawing a line I built up the clay to that line and added mold locks. I extended the end to the top of the mold.

I put the box on and added the clay to all the seams to prevent leaks. Then I used mold soap so that the mold will come off.

After the first piece hardened it was removed. Now I took off the clay and the plastic wrap that protected the back side.

At this point the front had a mold piece on it and we have done the back side. We took it off and prepared to start on the second mold.

Mold number two. We now molded the back for a second time.

We took it apart to see how it was going. Three pieces down one more front piece to make. We are very happy because no matter what we have one good mold. We are soooo tired.

It was all downhill after that. First Dan says it's leaking but didn't put the bucket back to catch it so we had to fix the leak and mix another batch.

Then I remembered that I hadn't used the mold soap before we poured in the plaster. Would there be enough left from the last pour? It was stuck. I trimmed the sides trying to get it out.

That didn't work so I just hit it with the rubber mallet. I should have had Dan catch the mug but I didn't so it crashed on the floor.

The good news is that I only lost a couple of letters that I can carve back in on each mug.

We ended up with two good molds that are now drying in the sun.

It was a good day after all. Thanks for taking the journey with us. Now I need to find my maniac...man and get to work.

Cheers, Wendy

_PS Dan did a good job mopping but I forgot to take a photo________________

VampiressRN
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2012-07-28 11:22 am   Permalink

Thanks for all your wonderful pictures Wendy & Dan. The mug rocks!!!

View Profile of VampiressRN Send a personal message to VampiressRN  Email VampiressRN Goto the website of VampiressRN     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiHula
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-07-29 3:51 pm   Permalink

Woohooo, looks like we'll be in town for the crawl this year. Alia and I will be there on at least Saturday and Sunday - hopefully Friday too.

Looks like an amazing mug, Wendy and Dan. Put us down for one.

mahalo

View Profile of TikiHula Send a personal message to TikiHula  Email TikiHula     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
danlovestikis
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2012-08-02 10:06 am   Permalink

Thank you Vamp and Tiki Hula.

Today we poured the mug molds for the first time. Tomorrow we'll take them out and check to see if it worked.

Cheers, Wendy

[ This Message was edited by: danlovestikis 2012-08-02 10:07 ]

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation