FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Collecting Tiki » » Origin of Trader Vic coffee grog mug
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
Origin of Trader Vic coffee grog mug
uncle trav
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2015-10-10 05:01 am   Permalink

I notice the Headhunter's mug was also used to serve what the 1965 menu calls the Coffee Diablo. I was able to find a recipe for the Cafe Diablo in Vic's 1947 guide and two different recipes in the 1972 revised edition.

View Profile of uncle trav Send a personal message to uncle trav      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tattoo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2015-12-15 4:47 pm   Permalink

Wrote to Kier Fullmer at Trader Vic's regarding this highly detailed and red version of the Grog Mug. I have never seen a red version before and suspected that it might be an early version of the mug given the sharp detail.

I was hoping the marking on the bottom might give a clue at to the origins of this mystery version.

Kier was kind enough to forward the images to CEO Peter Seely who suspects the red version is an early prototype of the mug. With the number underneath being the glaze number. Pretty cool indeed and it might even thee very first copy of the mug.

Here's the e-mail Kier wrote back to me:

Quote:

Hello!
Thank you for the email and the fabulous pictures of an amazing specimen!
I have never seen the “Headhunter” in Red before!
I asked our President and CEO, Mr. Peter Seely, if he recognized it as he is the Trader’s grandson and I thought he might remember it.
He believes that this is actually a one off sample and that the number on the bottom is the glaze number.

Again, thanks for showing it to us we always love to see little pieces of history that people find.

Have a great day!

Best,
Kier

Although Trader Vic eventually decided to go with the Black version, I must say I do like the red version quite a bit. And it matches the color of the original Kuba cup that this mug is based on.

Anyhow, just a little bit more Trader Vic history.

View Profile of Tattoo Send a personal message to Tattoo  Email Tattoo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
nui 'umi 'umi
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2015-12-15 5:27 pm   Permalink

Saw these at Polinesio in Havana. Polinesio was a Trader Vic’s pre-Castro

View Profile of nui 'umi 'umi Send a personal message to nui 'umi 'umi  Email nui 'umi 'umi     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
uncle trav
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2015-12-18 03:32 am   Permalink

Great research Tattoo. Thanks for digging deep and taking the time to share the information with TC.

View Profile of uncle trav Send a personal message to uncle trav      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kraken007
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2015-12-18 6:34 pm   Permalink

Great post! Had to order two for myself today from ebay! lol

View Profile of Kraken007 Send a personal message to Kraken007      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Aloha pinball
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2016-01-10 08:39 am   Permalink

I picked up this version of the mug in an antique store in Mineesota last year. Anybody else ever seen this glaze? The outlining of the eyes and lips gives it much better definition than the solid glazed versions.

[ This Message was edited by: Aloha pinball 2016-01-10 08:42 ]

View Profile of Aloha pinball Send a personal message to Aloha pinball  Email Aloha pinball     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Formikahini
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2016-01-10 08:46 am   Permalink

Never have seen that color!
Of course, I was stunned by the gorgeous red one on here, so there are obviously some mugs out there about which we know nothing!
Thanks for posting.
(And what a great first post )

View Profile of Formikahini Send a personal message to Formikahini  Email Formikahini     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
uncle trav
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2016-01-10 3:35 pm   Permalink

It may be a very early run of the 1963 molds before they got worn out. Sometimes it looks as the black glazed versions were just dunked in a bucket and thrown in the kiln. Yours is nice and crisp and the color does add to the detail. Nice find.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2016 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation