Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Collecting Tiki Origin of Trader Vic coffee grog mug
Origin of Trader Vic coffee grog mug
Formikahini
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-07-15 9:09 pm   Permalink

We all know the Trader Vic's coffee grog mug - the "only female tiki mug" (it's said).

(Not my mug - from an eBay auction)

I saw today, in a booth that sells African art, a bowl-like head with a long handle that looked like a pipe (but isn't).

Gotta be from some same earlier source, no? Any clues, anyone, from what country this is? (The dealer wasn't present.)
F

[ This Message was edited by: Formikahini 2012-07-15 21:11 ]

View Profile of Formikahini Send a personal message to Formikahini  Email Formikahini     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-07-15 10:57 pm   Permalink

This seems like a closer match:

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Formikahini
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-07-16 08:15 am   Permalink

Beautiful piece, Sven!
It does look like both the TV mug and the pipe/bowl thing I found were from this idea and probably this region (the Congo).

Do you suppose Vic's mug maker copied this exact piece?
Where is it currently?

View Profile of Formikahini Send a personal message to Formikahini  Email Formikahini     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-07-16 08:47 am   Permalink

Don't know its location, but if you hold them next to each other, they are not an exact match. One can assume that other authentic head-shaped cups by the Kuba exist, so maybe there is one closer to the Vic design. Also, the mug maker could have used artistic license and simplified his design.

I always liked the clear copyright under the Vic mug:

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Formikahini
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-07-16 09:09 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2012-07-16 08:47, bigbrotiki wrote:
I always liked the clear copyright under the Vic mug:

Ha!
"ComPLETEly our idea!"

Fugu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 30 days ago; 4:50 pm   Permalink

I was at an antique store yesterday and came across this Kuba cup souvenir that seems to be an exact match to the TV coffee grog mug. I flipped it over and it had a sticker that reads "University Museum Philadelphia". I assume it was a gift store item from the Penn museum that was a replica of a real cup in their collection. I did check their website and don't see the original (there are some similar pieces, but not the identical cup). There was nothing to indicate how old the antique store item is, so who knows. Just thought I would add this bit of information to the thread.

View Profile of Fugu Send a personal message to Fugu      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Formikahini
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 30 days ago; 7:17 pm   Permalink

So cool, Fugu!
Makes me want to hit a certain museum in Philly!

Tattoo
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 27 days ago; 2:04 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2014-09-21 16:50, Fugu wrote:

Cool and actually very interesting given its red patina. It does seem to be a pretty close match to the TV grog mug and it's reddish color actually resembles this early version of the TV grog mug.

Almost an identical match indeed!I think it's a pretty good guess that this Penn Museum Kuba Cup is the inspiration for the TV grog mug. And it would explain for the initial red color of the TV grog mug.

Thanks for sharing Fugu.

[ This Message was edited by: tattoo 2014-09-25 23:05 ]

View Profile of Tattoo Send a personal message to Tattoo  Email Tattoo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hiltiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 27 days ago; 6:47 pm   Permalink

Interesting thread, I have a washed up version of the 63 black TV mug, the design on mine is not so pronounced. I wish had one of the red ones.

View Profile of hiltiki Send a personal message to hiltiki  Goto the website of hiltiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Fugu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 26 days ago; 12:00 pm   Permalink

I've never seen a red TV coffee grog mug. Very cool!

View Profile of Fugu Send a personal message to Fugu      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Formikahini
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 26 days ago; 1:47 pm   Permalink

Lovin' the red one, too!

And, as I suspected, ain't no more pre-TV gals at the museum shop no more
http://penn.ordercompletion.com/a509/?limit=all

Hey, worth a shot, right?

Fugu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 26 days ago; 6:40 pm   Permalink

If you want the one from the antique store, I'm happy to mail it to you if it's still there next time I swing by I think it was $45...unfortunately my photo is blurry on the price tag. I remember thinking it was on the pricey side though.

Formikahini
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 26 days ago; 6:57 pm   Permalink

Thanks for the offer, Fugu, but it's too pricey for me too.

Still tempting, though ...

U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation