FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Bilge ATP is Old, Angry & Ranting!
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 Next Page )
ATP is Old, Angry & Ranting!
MadDogMike
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2012-07-20 09:18 am   Permalink

Is this the designated area for political incorrectness? What happened in Colorado was a tragedy and my heart goes out to all of those affected. But that doesn't happen in Arizona or Texas where citizens carry guns. When the coyote wants a meal he goes to the sheep pasture, he doesn't go to the lion enclosure at the zoo!

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
drgoat456
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-07-20 09:44 am   Permalink

MDM, as a 60 year resident of Tucson, I partially agree with you, but it did happen here in Tucson, not 2 blocks from where I work. Idiot Laughner shot and killed 6 people, and wounded many others, including a congresswoman. I think the key fact is, if someone is equipped to protect himself and others, is he at the right place and the right time. Many things have to come together for the conditions to happen. I've owned and sometimes carried guns all my life, but being in the right place at the right time is a fleeting thing. I know I'm oversimplifying it but I think that could happen anywhere.

View Profile of drgoat456 Send a personal message to drgoat456  Email drgoat456     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiHardBop
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-07-20 09:52 am   Permalink

Agreed. In this case, it would have taken someone who goes armed to a midnight opening of a movie (?) to instantly recognize the situation (witnesses have said they thought it was part of the movie somehow or a practical joke) and then draw their weapon and hit a target in a dark, crowded movie theater obscured by tear gas. Good luck with that.

View Profile of TikiHardBop Send a personal message to TikiHardBop  Goto the website of TikiHardBop     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2012-07-20 11:20 am   Permalink

Yeah, maybe I'm dreaming but I can already hear the cries to ban all guns. I don't even own one but I like that I COULD if I wanted to. I don't want to get in trouble by turning this into a political discussion of gun control Now returning you to ATP's rant

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-07-20 12:57 pm   Permalink

I welcome others rants

I have been slammed with work all week and missed the news story you are talking about
so let me do some research, Before I reply......

View Profile of Atomic Tiki Punk Send a personal message to Atomic Tiki Punk      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-07-20 2:03 pm   Permalink

Wow! Another example of one (Crazy Fucker) persons actions affecting & destroying
so many others lives, People are so quick to want assign blame to other things in cases like this
But the one to blame is the this nut job who did it.

Then the question has to be asked,
Why did no one notice that something was horribly wrong with this guy?

View Profile of Atomic Tiki Punk Send a personal message to Atomic Tiki Punk      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
White Devil
Deleted

Posted: 2012-07-21 12:35 pm   Permalink

Quote:

Then the question has to be asked,
Why did no one notice that something was horribly wrong with this guy?

Especially the shop owner who sold him the gun.

Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-07-31 10:14 pm   Permalink

The Olympics coverage in the USA......

Quite a few years ago now, When ABC Television's "The Wide World of Sports"
had the the Olympic Games coverage, You got to watch the entire games, every event & every county
that participated right up to the closing ceremonies,It was pretty impressive coverage & we got to see
all the great athletes of the world & the human drama of physical competition.

But not any more!
what we get is edited coverage that only covers the "American" favorites in those few events
why doesn't anyone want to see the best Athletes of the world compete in a world competition

When did it become The "American" games?
NBC this year even edited out 6 minutes paying tribute to those who lost their lives during the London
subway bombings, Do we only care about "American" lives?
Are we really this insensitive to the rest of the world now?

Are we really this self centered? Yes.....Yes we are.

TikiHardBop
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-08-01 10:11 am   Permalink

It became the "USA Olympics" when NBC paid $1.2 billion for the broadcast rights. This means that NBC needs to maximize ratings for every second of coverage. Put simply, Americans are more interested in watching American athletes over other countries.

Another issue is just the vast amount of events to cover. If may have *seemed* like they covered everything back then, but that was a physical impossibility. They may have been less "USA-focused", but trust me, there were vast amounts of the Olympics not even mentioned. NBC is advertising streaming coverage of every minute of every event online or through various pay-per-view options that vary with the different cable providers. They have been having some server issues, but I hear that things are getting better each day.

And put yourself in NBC's shoes. Suppose you decide to show the exciting China-Lithuania men's handball qualifier rather than an American woman win her second straight gold in skeet shooting. Now you look like you're anti-American. Trust me between showing USA medal-winning efforts and the "money sports" like gymnastics and track (and of course, the up close and personal athlete profiles and the gazillion commercials), there really isn't much free time to play around with.

Not a huge fan of the Olympics myself, but from what little I've been able to see on TVs in bars and restaurants, it appears that some of the "lesser" NBC channels are definitely covering athletes and teams from all over the world; it's just the main NBC during prime time that is in full "USA-mode".

View Profile of TikiHardBop Send a personal message to TikiHardBop  Goto the website of TikiHardBop     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigtikidude
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-08-01 9:08 pm   Permalink

I luv 'Murica

View Profile of bigtikidude Send a personal message to bigtikidude  Email bigtikidude     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikilongbeach
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2012-08-01 9:36 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2012-07-20 09:18, MadDogMike wrote:
Is this the designated area for political incorrectness? What happened in Colorado was a tragedy and my heart goes out to all of those affected. But that doesn't happen in Arizona or Texas where citizens carry guns. When the coyote wants a meal he goes to the sheep pasture, he doesn't go to the lion enclosure at the zoo!

MadDogMike, I'm originally from Texas and there have been plenty of massacres. In 2009 a nutcase killed 13 on Ft. Hood Army Base in Texas. 23 people were killed in a mass shooting at a Luby's Cafeteria in Killeen, TX in 1991. Charles Whitman killed 16 people in 1966 on the University of Texas campus. 76 people were killed in the 1993 Branch Dividian fiasco in Waco, TX.

View Profile of tikilongbeach Send a personal message to tikilongbeach      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2012-08-01 9:55 pm   Permalink

OK, maybe it wasn't a valid argument

But the Brank Davidian thing doesn't count, that wasn't armed idiots killing innocent bystanders. (yes I know there were several children killed, but their parents put them in harm's way by following a lunatic)

Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-08-01 11:44 pm   Permalink

At the core of the matter is personal responsibility
Who is responsible, Not what can we blame these things on without holding the person or people who did it responsible
Or those who could have prevented it if they opened their eyes.

But that being said, who needs an Assault weapon, except to kill alot of people.

[ This Message was edited by: Atomic Tiki Punk 2012-08-01 23:45 ]

Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-08-02 01:46 am   Permalink

lucas vigor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-08-02 10:40 am   Permalink

Sounds like a GREAT name for a neo-tiki band!

ladies and gentlemen, THE HAWAIIAN PUNKS!!!!!!

I AM A SOCIOPATH!

View Profile of lucas vigor Send a personal message to lucas vigor      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation