FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Collecting Tiki » » Ebay Sellers who list mugs without the keyword Tiki
Ebay Sellers who list mugs without the keyword Tiki
SoBeTiki
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2002-06-26 1:48 pm   Permalink

Here's an example of a mug that would have gone for a lot more money (In my opinion) if it had been listed as a "Tiki" mug.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2114700858

View Profile of SoBeTiki Send a personal message to SoBeTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
woofmutt
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-06-26 10:35 pm   Permalink

A good example for the beginning mug hunter...Be clever with your search terms. Believe it or not many people listing Tiki mugs don't know what they are. I think it was another Hawaii Kai mug that went cheap because it was listed as a "drinking stein" with, as I recall, not even a descriptive word such as Hawaiian, tropical, or polynesian.

Similarly, as I posted before, when junking at thrift shops always check the vase and bowl sections. I've found several mugs in with the vases, and scorpion bowls etc get grouped in with all bowls.

View Profile of woofmutt Send a personal message to woofmutt  Email woofmutt Goto the website of woofmutt     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikifish
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-06-27 10:19 am   Permalink

Stop giving away the secrets of Ebay mug hunting!!! hahaha!

I have a long list of words I use to find the mugs... you wouldn't believe how strange some of them are! I never look for tiki mugs under 'tiki'. Too darn expensive. Now, show me an "aztec voodoo stein" and I'm buyin'.

View Profile of tikifish Send a personal message to tikifish  Email tikifish Goto the website of tikifish     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-06-27 11:14 am   Permalink

I search for "tropical" when I have lots of time. Often you'll find items listed as "tropical" and they are awesome.

Announcing Swank Pad and Crazy Al's Molokai Maiden!

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki_Bong
Deleted

Posted: 2002-06-27 11:18 am   Permalink

I've even found tiki mugs searching under 'scary face cup'. Go figure.

Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Fonduie
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2002-07-02 1:34 pm   Permalink

Occasionally you can make some pleasant little discoveries using "Face Vase" as your search words.

View Profile of Fonduie Send a personal message to Fonduie      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
midnite
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-07-02 6:26 pm   Permalink

Hey!
Quit giving away all the "secrets" of ebay searching...pretty soon I will have NO chance of winning anything...!

Well, at least I have a few of my own tricks, like searching under "bidders" for what others find. Oops, I shouldn't have written that, should I?

Cheers,
midnite

ps. a few items left, check it out!

http://cgi6.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewSellersOtherItems&userid=cpt.midnite&completed=0&sort=3&since=-1&include=0&page=1&rows=25

View Profile of midnite Send a personal message to midnite      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Suburban Hipster
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-08-12 11:37 am   Permalink

Also consider searching for misspellings. For example, there are currently 38 "Hawaian" items, and 13 "Bambo" items. Searching for misspelled items use to really work well for me when I collected "Mars Attacks" merchandise misidentified as "Mars Attack" items.

View Profile of Suburban Hipster Send a personal message to Suburban Hipster  Email Suburban Hipster     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Doctor Z
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-08-12 10:18 pm   Permalink

"Tikki", "Teeki" & "Teki" work too...
Ask for it by name!

View Profile of Doctor Z Send a personal message to Doctor Z  Email Doctor Z     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Trader Woody
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-08-13 04:29 am   Permalink

I'm convinced that there are so many people searching for mis-spellings & alternative terms these days that hardly anyone looks up 'Tiki'!

Trader Woody

View Profile of Trader Woody Send a personal message to Trader Woody  Email Trader Woody     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MakeDaMug
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-08-13 10:44 pm   Permalink

Head vase, teeki, teekee, ugly face, OMC, Ren Clarke (for the elusive upside down decaptitated frat boy mug), hawaian vase(yes, with 1 i)... I think it's okay to share the secrets here as we all are devotees!
Holden
(best buy ever - searched under hawaian jar and found an old Stephen Crane piece for $1)

View Profile of MakeDaMug Send a personal message to MakeDaMug  Email MakeDaMug Goto the website of MakeDaMug     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation