FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Other Crafts Trader Tom's Ceramic Projects
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
Trader Tom's Ceramic Projects
Trader Tom
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2012-07-18 3:06 pm   Permalink

Well, I finally got around to playing in the mud again...

I stumbled across a great place for supplies in the general Portland area called Georgie's last weekend, which is one of the biggest (if not THE biggest supplier) of ceramics stuff up here. I wandered their shop for about an hour looking and asking questions before I finally walked away with a big slab of clay to work with.

Here's the fruits of my labors from this afternoon. Slab construction for most part. The first thing is a "Virgin Volcano Bowl".

I made the bowl using a metal mixing bowl as kind of a reverse slump mold. Then I textured the bowl with a woodgrain pattern roller. Then I used a funnel to make another piece, the inner volcano, which I attached with scoring and slip. Textured the volcano with a pumice stone.

Then I used an old Holland pin-up mold from the 1960s as a press mold to make some virgin wahines for two sides, also attached with scoring and slip. Originally I'd intended to use the mold as a slipcast mold as originally intended, but was advised by the helpful folks at Georgie's that the slip would shrink at a different rate then the rest of the project and was likely to crack off. So, I took their advice and used just half of the mold as a press mold using the same clay as the rest of the vessel.

I pushed in the still flexible sides of the bowl to make a squared-off shape just to be different. The original Vicious Virgin bowls had a triangular shape done the same way.

As an afterthought, I put a few holes in the volcano to let air/gas escape during firing.

I still had slabs of clay out on the table, so I made a matching mug for the bowl.

I'm going to cart these over to Georgie's to fire later.

I think I'm going to do a mahogany ceramic stain wipe on them to make the wood grain pattern really stand out.

Anyway, hope you enjoy looking. Love to hear suggestions or comments!

View Profile of Trader Tom Send a personal message to Trader Tom  Email Trader Tom Goto the website of Trader Tom     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2012-07-18 4:57 pm   Permalink

Nice design Tom, good to get your fingers back in the mud!

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Badd Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-07-18 6:08 pm   Permalink

Cool bowl. I was thinking those were supposed to be waves (she seems like she's swimming) so I'd say blue would be cool.

Why did you punch holes in the volcano? Is it one solid chunk or is it hollow?

View Profile of Badd Tiki Send a personal message to Badd Tiki  Goto the website of Badd Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Trader Tom
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2012-07-18 6:18 pm   Permalink

Thanks, guys!

I agree, especially on the mug I was thinking the wood pattern looked like waves and blue would look cool. However, I really wanted to work with stain since I haven't before. I'm not sure if Georgie's stocks a blue stain, but I will look for it.

The volcano is hollow. I didn't put up a pic of the bottom, but it is basically a smooth circle with my name and date scratched on it. I didn't want to poke holes in the base, although many ceramic pieces do that to let air/gas release during firing. So, after taking these shots I took a toothpick and poked 4 holes evenly around the middle of the volcano to let gas/air out. I can always plug them again, I figured, with slip or glaze.

I figure I'll take these over to get fired next Thursday. If I have time tonight or tomorrow I might try hand building an actual Tiki mug to go with these other pieces that are getting fired.

View Profile of Trader Tom Send a personal message to Trader Tom  Email Trader Tom Goto the website of Trader Tom     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2012-07-18 9:08 pm   Permalink

Tom a good thing for plugging those vent holes (and for repairing cracks) is a mixture of glaze and calcined clay. It's a bit of a pain in the butt to make the calcined clay but you make a small batch and you're set for years. Flatten balls of clay into flat patties and let them dry completely. Crush them fine with a rolling pin and sieve finely. Place the clay powder in an UNGLAZED bowl and fire it. Place your calcined clay in a container and mark it.

When ready to use, mix a little calcined clay with the glaze color you are using to make a paste/putty. Fill in your hole and fire. Since the clay dust is already fired, it won't shrink anymore.

PS did you see the
Pele/Volcano Swap Thread? You have a volcano themed piece and are welcome to join if you can finish by 8/8. PM me if you have any questions

Mike

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Beachbumz
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2012-07-19 12:16 am   Permalink

That's cool Tom, I love the Pele pin-up goddess girl you included on the side..
Probably a good idea putting the holes if you suspected you may have some air bubbles too..
Going to be cool all glazed up!!

"TikiPop" On Instagram

View Profile of Beachbumz Send a personal message to Beachbumz  Email Beachbumz     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
danlovestikis
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2012-07-19 08:01 am   Permalink

Gosh today is such a great day to look at art. All you men just rock the house. These are two wonderful creations. Wendy

View Profile of danlovestikis Send a personal message to danlovestikis      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GROG

Posted: 2012-07-19 10:48 am   Permalink

Well done Grasshopper.

View Profile of GROG Send a personal message to GROG      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GROG

Posted: 2012-07-19 10:49 am   Permalink

Well done Grasshopper.

View Profile of GROG Send a personal message to GROG      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GROG

Posted: 2012-07-19 10:49 am   Permalink

Well done Grasshopper.

MadDogMike
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2012-07-19 11:05 am   Permalink

Well done Grasshopper

Badd Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-07-19 11:17 am   Permalink

Ah Grasshoppa, well done.

View Profile of Badd Tiki Send a personal message to Badd Tiki  Goto the website of Badd Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Trader Tom
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2012-07-20 12:51 am   Permalink

MadDogMike, thanks for the info for plugging the holes. I will definitely do that.

I am also interested in the Pele/Volcano Trade-off but I'm pessimistic about getting done in time or things surviving the kiln. However, I am definitely IN if something survives the process! I just made a couple more pieces today as well, so hopefully that improves my odds. I will post on the trade thread next.

Everybody else, BIG THANKS! It's inspiring to look at all your threads and see what you've done.

I would have posted earlier on these next batch of pics, but Joseph (4 & 1/2) was "helping" me. I had to answer a lot of questions about these pieces, particularly about why the hula girls were in their birthday suits...

...and then my wife wanted to know why there was slip all over the dining room. But I did finish and clean up everything. So all is well.

Anyway, here's a more traditional three-cornered virgin volcano bowl:

And here's another mug using a second Holland mold with leg extended.

danlovestikis
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2012-07-20 07:09 am   Permalink

Your bowls and mug are coming along great. I for one hope you will be able to join the swap.

Question grasshopper are you going to carve out the clay in the girls elbow areas on the mug version? Wendy

View Profile of danlovestikis Send a personal message to danlovestikis      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2012-07-20 07:25 am   Permalink

"...and then my wife wanted to know why there was slip all over the dining room"

Been there, done that

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation