FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Other Crafts Trader Tom's Ceramic Projects
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 )
Trader Tom's Ceramic Projects
Hale Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-05-02 12:25 pm   Permalink

lookin good man! still haven't used my bowl from you yet, but I will when I get my bar up!

View Profile of Hale Tiki Send a personal message to Hale Tiki  Email Hale Tiki Goto the website of Hale Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Trader Tom
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2013-05-09 7:04 pm   Permalink

Just got back from the kiln and I got my first 11 pieces done in time for the Hale Pele show this Saturday.

Several in Mystic Blue.

A few skull mugs in various glazes.

View Profile of Trader Tom Send a personal message to Trader Tom  Email Trader Tom Goto the website of Trader Tom     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
swizzle
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-05-09 8:49 pm   Permalink

That mystic blue is a great colour, the Moai's look fantastic.

View Profile of swizzle Send a personal message to swizzle  Email swizzle     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Trader Tom
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2013-05-10 3:29 pm   Permalink

Thanks. I feel like I finally have the mystic blue perfected. The label says to give three coats, but three coats was a little gloppy when fired and it started to run. Two coats allows a bit more brown through and isn't gloppy at all.

View Profile of Trader Tom Send a personal message to Trader Tom  Email Trader Tom Goto the website of Trader Tom     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2013-05-10 5:55 pm   Permalink

Tom, have a great time at the show ~ hope you sell it all!

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Gene S Morgan
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-05-10 8:34 pm   Permalink

That Mystic Blue is a great color ... really makes the detail jump ... Nice mugs ...

[ This Message was edited by: Gene S Morgan 2013-05-10 20:35 ]

View Profile of Gene S Morgan Send a personal message to Gene S Morgan  Email Gene S Morgan Goto the website of Gene S Morgan     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Trader Tom
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2013-05-17 01:50 am   Permalink

I picked up the last four pieces from the kiln which I showed earlier before they were fired.

Three of them were glazed in Mystic Blue and are similar to other ones I've shown, but I thought I would share a picture of how the nude pin-up ashtray turned out.

I used a "Rust" matte glaze for the rocks and a wipe-away "Mahogany" on the pin-up. The water is "Mystic Blue" and it really pops out from the other matte glazes. When you see it in person with the reflection off the blue, it looks even better than the photo. Measures 9" square and the nude is about 4.5" long.

I will definitely make some more of these. I may do a "Pele" version with matte black rocks and a bunch of flowing lava rivers springing forth from a reddish-colored nude at the top and pooling into a red/yellow/orange swirl below.

Trader Tom
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2013-06-09 12:46 am   Permalink

I have some more pictures to share. First up are a couple of wipe-away skull mugs with colored interiors and a black satin lava flow glazed skull mug someone asked me to do on commission.

Then, I have a couple of unglazed bisque Duncan Stacker Mugs. I picked up the mold for these recently and they are really cool. I see them from time to time, but I think I will do a wipe away on them without clear coat. The clear coat tends to diminish the color of the wipe away. I'll use a colored gloss glaze on the insides, however.

Next, is a father/son project Joseph and I worked on recently. For you SpongeBob fans out there, I present the dreaded Plankton! Joseph did the body, but I suggested putting it on a plaque since it looked so fragile and I was sure it would crumble in the kiln. We'll probably use the green glaze seen in the interior of one of the skull mugs above for this one after next week when his school lets out for the summer. Maybe the wipe away blue on the plaque...depends on how crazy he get with the green glaze, though.

I expect to finish the ten or so bisque pieces sitting on the shelf over the next couple of weeks and will put up one more big post for the summer, but then I will need to take a short break from mudslinging for a while. I have some ink slinging to do with three or four writing projects I want to complete.

Thanks again for looking!

MadDogMike
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2013-06-09 08:05 am   Permalink

Gorgeous! Keep that boy's fingers in the mud, it looks like he's having a good time.

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hale Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-06-11 07:40 am   Permalink

Dig the drip, man.

I need to make positives from my unused mold for people. Get more of those little stackers out there!

View Profile of Hale Tiki Send a personal message to Hale Tiki  Email Hale Tiki Goto the website of Hale Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Trader Tom
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2013-07-04 03:48 am   Permalink

Here's some pics of recent stuff finally out of the kiln:

Joseph's plaque of Plankton. I really like the look of the green opal glaze.

Duncan Stackers in winter blue wipe-away without clear coat looks more black. Green opal interior.

Duncan Stackers in mahogany wipe-away without clear coat. Orange interior.

Red Duncan Moai. Also, an Orange Duncan Moai for a friend's birthday.

I've had inconsistent luck with the orange and the red from Laguna Glaze above. The above pieces turned out nicely. I gave Joseph a couple that didn't. The colors are beautiful, but sometimes I get glaze crawling in the bottom of the interior and air bubbles all over the exterior. I may need to thin it out more. Or, it may have something to do with kiln temperature that's outside my control since I don't fire my own pieces. I suppose it might work better airbrushed, too, but I haven't sprung to get an airbrush set...at least not yet.

Here's my latest Ken Ocorr Tiki Statue in Satin Black. Looks good, but for some reason this guy has a slight lean to him that I didn't notice before. Must be the heat wave.

Anyway, that's it for a while. The summer is getting busy but I will be back with more at some point.

MikeyTiki
Grand Member (2 years)  

Posted: 2013-07-04 9:13 pm   Permalink

I love the Duncan Stackers! Good job!

View Profile of MikeyTiki Send a personal message to MikeyTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation