FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Creating Tiki » » Other Crafts » » Trader Tom's Ceramic Projects
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
Trader Tom's Ceramic Projects
Trader Tom
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2012-07-20 10:08 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2012-07-20 07:09, danlovestikis wrote:
Your bowls and mug are coming along great. I for one hope you will be able to join the swap.

Question grasshopper are you going to carve out the clay in the girls elbow areas on the mug version? Wendy

Thanks, Wendy! I do too. I'm eager to take them in next Thursday or so to get fired. I might get these pieces done by the end of the month with a little luck.

I had to trim quite a bit around each Hula Girl and I was tempted to try trimming the inner elbow area at the same time but the clay was too wet/plastic and I was worried about destroying the arms. I may let it dry a bit more and then give it a shot. But, yes, I think it would look better with that area carved out.

View Profile of Trader Tom Send a personal message to Trader Tom  Email Trader Tom Goto the website of Trader Tom     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
danlovestikis
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2012-07-20 3:43 pm   Permalink

When I made the Missionary's Downfall bowls I had 50% of the girls break when I sanded them. Dry clay is super brittle.

After losing those I let the slip sit longer in the mold to make the cast thicker thinking that they would survive sanding better. Well that made some hidden air pockets. The casts that sanded well blew up in the kiln.

I'm wishing you lots of luck. I think your two pieces look terrific. Wendy

View Profile of danlovestikis Send a personal message to danlovestikis      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Big Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-07-23 1:32 pm   Permalink

Wow! Nice work, Tom.

View Profile of Big Kahuna Send a personal message to Big Kahuna  Email Big Kahuna     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Trader Tom
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2012-07-26 1:55 pm   Permalink

I sure hope things don't blow up on me in the kiln, Wendy. Those are SCARY pics!

However, I'm trying to let things dry slowly before I do a first firing.

Thanks, Big Kahuna!

In the meantime, I did a father/son project today.

I made a slab cylinder and then Joseph told me what he wanted and helped me make the features.

He plans on giving it to a friend of his if it makes it through the firing process.

View Profile of Trader Tom Send a personal message to Trader Tom  Email Trader Tom Goto the website of Trader Tom     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Trader Tom
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2012-08-09 3:50 pm   Permalink

Here's one of the bowls all glazed but waiting to be glaze fired. It should turn out a dry rust brown with some color variance on exterior, eggshell white girls, gloss black volcano with satin red lava spilling over and collecting in bowl. We'll see how it turns out...

MadDogMike
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2012-08-09 7:25 pm   Permalink

Looks great Tom, those ivory gals should really stand out against the brown bowl.

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
danlovestikis
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2012-08-09 9:17 pm   Permalink

This is going to be a beautiful bowl, Wendy

View Profile of danlovestikis Send a personal message to danlovestikis      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
geedavee
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-08-13 5:36 pm   Permalink

Nice work Tom. I'm glad you found a way to keep on doing your ceramics.

View Profile of geedavee Send a personal message to geedavee  Goto the website of geedavee     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Trader Tom
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2012-08-22 7:33 pm   Permalink

Here's pics of the first bowl and two mugs back from their glaze firing. I'm pretty happy with them. I will have to do more soon!

MadDogMike
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2012-08-22 10:24 pm   Permalink

Great results Tom. The black lava texture turned out cool and I really love that yellow/brown exterior glaze!

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Beachbumz
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2012-08-23 12:37 am   Permalink

Those came out Great Tom! The bowl with the lava flowing really came out great. I wanna try making a volcano bowl someday as well, I wish I had a bigger kiln at times..
How did your Son's Tiki come out btw??
Aloha

View Profile of Beachbumz Send a personal message to Beachbumz  Email Beachbumz Goto the website of Beachbumz     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jürka
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2012-08-23 04:52 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2012-07-20 00:51, Trader Tom wrote:
...but Joseph (4 & 1/2) was "helping" me. I had to answer a lot of questions about these pieces, particularly about why the hula girls were in their birthday suits...

What did you answer? I'm interested too!

View Profile of Jürka Send a personal message to Jürka  Email Jürka     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
danlovestikis
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2012-08-23 08:09 am   Permalink

Good job. I like your glazes, they make your mugs and bowls look vintage. Wendy

Trader Tom
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2012-08-23 08:24 am   Permalink

Thanks, everyone!

Joseph's Tiki mug is at the kiln for glaze firing and should be ready in a few days. I haven't finished the square bowl but need to do that next.

I told Joseph that the hula girls' clothes burned off because they got a little too close to the volcano.

I think I will do some more matching mugs so I have a set. That, and make a hand-built Tiki mug of my own.

My folks are visiting from Illinois, so I'll probably get my hands back in the mud next week when I have time.

Jürka
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2012-08-23 3:54 pm   Permalink

Quote:

I told Joseph that the hula girls' clothes burned off because they got a little too close to the volcano.

"But... But... But... Daddy, why didn't they go away from volcano when they felt too hot???" :smiley with two big puppy eyes:
Ok, I'll help you out... Cause hula girls like it hot!

View Profile of Jürka Send a personal message to Jürka  Email Jürka     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation